Default Building your own home

We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?
HK HK is offline

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

On Dec 29, 1:50 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:03:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."

wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

Having nearly exhausted my desire to build boats, I am kinda ready to
build a cabin on our property in WY. I plan to start by re-building
the nearly 100 yr old log cabin that is already there but is
collapsing due to rotten logs. Being a kinda historic structure, it
is grandfathered in as far as building codes. However, i would get an
electrician to install an electrical system (you wouldnt believe what
it currently has for electrical, when I bought it I made sure it could
NOT be powered up).
Good luck with your project.

wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. *Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

So? That has little to do with why a person would want to build their
own house as opposed to owning someone elses ideas about what you
want. Now tell us all, what do you know about the housing market in
Atlanta?

On Dec 29, 1:43*pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:

I'd like to build a house, I have some ideas that I'd like to see
built into one. *Soundproofing certain rooms / walls is one thing.
2x6 top and bottom plates with staggered 2x4 studs. *That way the two
sides of the wall aren't coupled with a common 2x4 stud, but are free-
standing with an air gap between them. *Add insulation (even if it's
an interior wall) and you have a "soundproof" wall.

Uh, no...you don't. Sound will transmit over the common top and floor
plates.

No ****, sherlock... as it will between the decoupled wall surfaces,
as well as through the floor. But this method is very effective on
reducing the amount of sound transmitted through the wall. No one is
talking about a truly soundproofed room; that's why I called it a
"soundproof" wall (notice the "quotes"). Everyone caught that except
for you.

hk wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to
build a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has
anyone in the group done this and do they have any words of advice?

Go for it and keep us posted. It will be great fun to read. And by all
means, get Loogy to help you.
-----------------
-----------------

Hey, didn't you build you own house? I figure if you can do it, it
should be a snap.

wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. *Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

So? That has little to do with why a person would want to build their
own house as opposed to owning someone elses ideas about what you
want.

Or, it might be the entire reason, asslick. The OP didn't say why he
wanted to build a house. He did mention the economy as a factor.

Now tell us all, what do you know about the housing market in
Atlanta?

Apparently a lot more than you know.

As usual, when shown you're an idiot, you instantly start your third
grade vulgar insults just like your brother Harry. I didn't say the
economy had nothing to do with his decision. DID I?

The rest is a non-answer. You don't know a damned thing about the
market in Atlanta. If you did, you'd know that in many areas of
Atlanta, the market value of houses is still pretty high.

On Dec 29, 1:43*pm, Boater wrote:
wrote:

I'd like to build a house, I have some ideas that I'd like to see
built into one. *Soundproofing certain rooms / walls is one thing.
2x6 top and bottom plates with staggered 2x4 studs. *That way the two
sides of the wall aren't coupled with a common 2x4 stud, but are free-
standing with an air gap between them. *Add insulation (even if it's
an interior wall) and you have a "soundproof" wall.

Uh, no...you don't. Sound will transmit over the common top and floor
plates.

Wow, you're an idiot! Sound will transmit through AIR too, are you
going to void that from your house too, dummy? The method described
above is a very good way to lessen transmitted sound and has been used
in just about every decent hotel, hospital, etc.

wrote:

We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

Reggie isn't going to general contract his own house...he's simply
dangling a piece of bait to see who bites.

Speaking of bait...ole Gunner kinda threw your bait back in your face,
didn't he Krause? Did he live with you for a while. He sure seems to know
you well.
--
** Good Day! **

John H