Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Building your own home

On Dec 29, 1:50 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:03:49 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."

wrote:
We are thinking about using this downturn in the housing market to build
a new home, and acting as our own General Contractor. Has anyone in the
group done this and do they have any words of advice?

At present, you can buy an existing house for less than you can build
it.

Having nearly exhausted my desire to build boats, I am kinda ready to
build a cabin on our property in WY. I plan to start by re-building
the nearly 100 yr old log cabin that is already there but is
collapsing due to rotten logs. Being a kinda historic structure, it
is grandfathered in as far as building codes. However, i would get an
electrician to install an electrical system (you wouldnt believe what
it currently has for electrical, when I bought it I made sure it could
NOT be powered up).
Good luck with your project.