Tim Tim is offline

Default On topic photos...

On Nov 25, 2:04*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:36:01 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Boater" wrote in message

It's just not that big a deal, guys. Really. Go boating, or, in the case
of FloridaJim, pretend you have a boat.

No, no. *We are all concerned with your prop. *You have a steel prop? *What
kind of steel? * Stainless steel?
What grade of Stainless steel?

This is serious. *If that steel prop is rusting already, you might get
stranded 50 yards offshore in the Bay.
What else is rusting?

Do you carry a spare prop in case of an emergency?

It's a Yamaha.

Probably carries a spare engine for those circumstances. *:)

DANG, Tom!!!!! That about sent soup to the monitor!

Which brings up an interesting point - I carry a spare prop, but last
summer it occurred to me that I've never tried to change it in the
middle of the lake.

Guess what - I can't. *It's too far back for me to reach in the fully
tilted up position.

I've changed out several props in the water. changed out a few in the
river. Wearing a good vest, and tied close with rope. Mercury and
Johnson outboard. I'm happy to say that I only lost one part that that
was a star washer on a mercury once. Still made it though the day.

Boater wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:29:25 -0500, Boater

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:31:32 -0500, Boater

wrote:

...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for
the shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust
after the motor drains is part of the winterizing process.
I've got to spend a few minutes removing the rust from the
prop and repainting it. One of these days I'll find a prop
paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

Why paint a stainless prop? Surface rust on 304 SS is normal
... if
you don't boat a lot. It really isn't hurting anything. If I am
out of
town for a few weeks and not boating I see a little on mine. It
buffs
right off after an hour or so of running
Yeah, it does come right off while running. I never gave it much
thought. But I'll still clean it off and coat the prop before
the shrinkwrapper arrives.

Actually, coating stainless promotes rust. Stainless loses it's rust
resistant properties when deprived of oxygen.

Hmmm. Okay...I'll clean it off and not coat it!

I guess that is why I have never seen people paint their SS props.
Most people are smart enough not to paint them. I am glad you
learned something in this post. You get to do your normal trolling
(the real reason you come here) and you inadvertently actually
learned something.

GPUAR, Reggie.

Shouldn't you be outside taking blurry, blown out photos and then
painting your SS prop?

GPUAR, Reggie. And why not post a photo that shows nature as she is,
Reggie? Certainly an asshole like you can't improve upon it.

Harry,

I don't believe in the philosophy that a photo should capture exactly
what you saw. I follow the philosophy that a photograph should capture
what you felt.

After looking at your photographs that capture what you saw, I strongly
recommend you quickly find an optometrist.

That *was* funny, Harry, and you know it!
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 25, 3:00*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:12:32 -0500, wrote:

"Boater" wrote in message

It's just not that big a deal, guys. Really. Go boating, or, in the case
of FloridaJim, pretend you have a boat.

No, no. *We are all concerned with your prop. *You have a steel prop? *What
kind of steel? * Stainless steel?
What grade of Stainless steel?

This is serious. *If that steel prop is rusting already, you might get
stranded 50 yards offshore in the Bay.
What else is rusting?

Do you carry a spare prop in case of an emergency?

It's a Yamaha.

Probably carries a spare engine for those circumstances. *:)

Which brings up an interesting point - I carry a spare prop, but last
summer it occurred to me that I've never tried to change it in the
middle of the lake.

Guess what - I can't. *It's too far back for me to reach in the fully
tilted up position.

You can't swim?

Tell you what - you go swimming in 50 degree water in the Spring to
change a prop - I'll watch. *:)

I've done that too. Only in a full wet suit... and a good vest.

man my feet got cold!

Boater wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:

GPUAR, Reggie. And why not post a photo that shows nature as she
is, Reggie? Certainly an asshole like you can't improve upon it.

Harry,

I don't believe in the philosophy that a photo should capture exactly
what you saw. I follow the philosophy that a photograph should
capture what you felt.

Perhaps if you were sober...

Your photoshopping stands out more than your photos. Which is why I
think they suck. Some of the compositions would be interesting if the
lighting were realistic.

I have never been delusional that my photography or my post processing
would put me in the category of the Masters of Photography. I do hope
I learn something everyday and continue to improve, which is why I enjoy
critiques. I take a lot of photos that I just delete, I take some that I
really like, and sometimes others like too. I figure if I take 12 great
photos a year, that is a good crop.

Now if all I did was go out and take a snapshot, I would sell my camera.

Most of your photography seems to take place in photoshop. Seriously, I
think your photos would be better if you "processed" them a lot less.
They *look* processed.

Maybe you could get your wife to critique some of Reggie's photos.

"Boater" wrote in message

It's just not that big a deal, guys. Really. Go boating, or, in the case
of FloridaJim, pretend you have a boat.

No, no. We are all concerned with your prop. You have a steel prop? What
kind of steel? Stainless steel?
What grade of Stainless steel?

This is serious. If that steel prop is rusting already, you might get
stranded 50 yards offshore in the Bay.
What else is rusting?

Do you carry a spare prop in case of an emergency?

It's a Yamaha.

Probably carries a spare engine for those circumstances. :)

Which brings up an interesting point - I carry a spare prop, but last
summer it occurred to me that I've never tried to change it in the
middle of the lake.

Guess what - I can't. It's too far back for me to reach in the fully
tilted up position.

I always figured that was a job to be done in the water, with a life vest
on, of course.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:19:21 -0500, Boater wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:20:40 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

A requirement to graduate from Columbia University is to swim the width
of the East River (at it's widest point). Many years ago, they actually
had to swim the East River, for some reason, they now allow you to swim
the distance in the pool.

Since schitt floats, that would have been easy for you.

Such rancor, Harry! Get yourself under control. Stress can cause big time
health problems, along with fingernail biting and pustules.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 25, 3:37*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

"Boater" wrote in message
[...]

Ever swim at Revere Beach or Nantasket? I did when I was a kid. I doubt
I could tolerate it in August these days.

Devreaux Beach which might as well be the same - it's about six miles
apart. *:)

All I know is that I hate being cold - I'm cold when the wood stove is
cranking and it's 75 in the house. *Mrs. Wave thinks I'm a freak of
nature - which I am.

God's honest truth - at night, I've got two down comforters, one
thermal blanket, a flannel blanket and I wear socks to keep my feet
warm and have been known to wear jersey gloves when my hands get cold.
Mrs. Wave has maybe a sheet and the flannel blanket covering her -
maybe. Plus the temp is set for 62 overnight and goes up to 75 at 0445
for a 0500 wake up because if I get a chill from a cold room, the rest
of my day, and everybody else's, will be ruined. *:)

Even when I was a kid, I would wear a thin wet suit over a heavier wet
suit when diving. *Later on, I wore dry suits even during the summer.

I have no internal temperature regulation at all - I'm always cold.
About the only time I'm not cold is when the temp is in the mid-80s -
then I'm fairly comfortable.

If you can take niacin (vitamin B3)that may help.

Of course Tom , you probably knew that.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:33:59 -0500, Boater wrote:

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:

I don't think you can call me a right-wing piece of ****. I voted for
Obama

Liar.

Hell, Harry, I voted for Obama.

I suppose you're going to call me a liar too?

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:16:54 -0500, Boater wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:31:32 -0500, Boater wrote:

...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

Your wife is getting pretty good. I see the mud and sand in the shallow
areas of BP marina have done their work on your propeller. Maybe some day
they'll dredge that place again.

Anyway, as usual that Canon is doing a fine job. The propeller cover is
almost in perfect focus.

Let's see. You've never seen me launch or retrieve my boat, so you
obviously are not away that I do not power the boat onto the trailer.
You've never seen or met my wife, yet you comment about her. You think
the photo I posted today was taken with a Canon camera. You're wrong
about that, too.

No wonder we got our asses kicked in Vietnam. Officers like you were too
stupid to lead.

Who said anything about powering a boat onto the trailer? I said Breezy
Point Marina was shallow.

You posted pictures allegedly taken by your wife. I've commented about the
quality of her photography as compared to yours. She seems to have a feel
for it, which you seem to lack.

If I were you, I'd blame the photo you posted today on a cheap Canon.

I never said I was as smart as Kerry!

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:19:23 -0500, Boater wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:46:03 -0500, Boater wrote:

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:

Idiot.
Are you talking about me or Mercury Marine? If you want the link to
their quote let me know.

You have to guess?

Idiot.

Harry, Reggie was trying very hard to be nice to you. I think he's seeing
the primer used to hold that black paint to your stainless (?) prop. It
does resemble rust, but the picture is not in focus enough to be sure.

Let's see some more photos of your wife, Herring. Better use that
ultra-wide lens, eh?

Taking lessons from JimmyH, huh? Doing a little wife attacking now? Cheap,
Harry, even for you.

Bad day at the mirror?

WW I photos Gene Park Tall Ship Photos 0 April 30th 08 11:52 PM
photos Wm Watt General 1 October 3rd 06 05:34 PM
On Topic: More Fair photos - with a BOAT!!!! *JimH* General 10 September 4th 05 03:08 PM
More Photos Seahag ASA 24 December 29th 04 03:40 PM