posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default NMEA and SeaTalk on same network

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

In the case of multiple compasses, which I have, it averages the
reading between the sources.

Is there a seatalk-only heading sensor? I've got a heading sensor but
it's attached to the autopilot, and thus only works what that's turned
on. I tend not to use the autopilot but would like a header
indicator.

-Bill Kearney

Yes, there is a SeaTalk only heading sensor. I don't have the part number,
but I utilize one and a smart heading fluxgate sensor. My system is a
hybrid that started out as an ST-80 system and has had many components
switched out and upgraded over the years. Since it's all SeaTalk, it plays
together OK, but certainly isn't something that anyone would ever sell
today.

Basically I do this because I often cruise in locations where getting tech
support/spares is very difficult, and I want quick failover and/or hot
spares. Quite often I keep the spare unplugged and just unplug the failed
unit and plug in the hot spare. That way if I get zapped by lightening or
an electrical glitch, I should be able to recover quickly. I have a my old
course computer in a Faraday box along with other critical spares. This
also partially explains my waterline loss...

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

This
also partially explains my waterline loss...

Fess up...How many tool boxes are there?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote in news:Xns9A57F1F4BD1A0noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

This
also partially explains my waterline loss...

Fess up...How many tool boxes are there?

There's only 1 main tool box, but lots of specialized tool kits which are
spread between various storage locations. In general I'm never wanting for
a tool. I'd guess that the main tool area is 6 sq feet and the alternate
main area is 12 sq feet, but that also contains parts. I think that the
"problem" is that the tool count only grows, it never shinks. We've had
many people call us the BlueJacket hardware store. But when you're in the
middle of nowhere and something needs repair, you need to have the tools on
board.

One of the key things that we've done is to place all of our stores into an
Access database that I designed. While it doesn't include the daily use
tools, it does include the ones that are rarely used. The database
contains over 1400 items and there are 66 storage locations defined. We're
very good at keeping the database up to date, so when we need a tool, part,
food item, etc, we can quickly lay our hands on it. I can't imagine life
without it.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

One of the key things that we've done is to place all of our stores
into an Access database that I designed. While it doesn't include the
daily use tools, it does include the ones that are rarely used. The
database contains over 1400 items and there are 66 storage locations
defined. We're very good at keeping the database up to date, so when
we need a tool, part, food item, etc, we can quickly lay our hands on
it. I can't imagine life without it.

Oh, you've taken all the fun out of it! There are a thousand little
cubby holes in any Amel Sharki to hide tools/parts/stuff. It can take
days to find that "special place" our Cap'n took real pains storing that
one little spanner you can't get it off without. The database would be
HUGE.

Our Cap'n loves his tools. You're right, it only GROWS, as does the
hardware stores. We were headed to some sleazy bar for lunch and
libation after working in our beloved bilge and happened upon one of the
neighbors trying to make a door fit in his galley with a typical
seaman's knife. "Wait a minute", Cap'n says, headed back to his boat.
3 minutes later, the neighbor was using a beautiful wood plane to shave
the wood perfectly off that door. WOOD PLANES ARE STANDARD CRUISING
EQUIPMENT! You just never know when you'll need to use the on-board
wood shop on a sticky cabinet door that's mission critical....(c;

We don't have an awl. We have a COLLECTION of awls. I never found an
anvil. That doesn't mean there's not one aboard! "What the hell are we
gonna do with this gear puller??" "What? We don't have a lathe?!"

You can tell when your tool collection is nearing "adequate" when the
boatyard workers are borrowing your special tools they don't have in the
biggest boatyard in town.....(c;

Seen that...first hand.

She isn't fast, but SHE'S FULLY EQUIPPED!
She needs a towed BARGE on a long line!

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:18:20 +0000, Larry wrote:

WOOD PLANES ARE STANDARD CRUISING
EQUIPMENT! You just never know when you'll need to use the on-board
wood shop on a sticky cabinet door that's mission critical....(c;

You bet. I carry a nice little bronze block plane made by Lie-Nielsen
in Maine:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=102

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/viewimage...1&layout=blank

It is razor sharp and a joy to work with.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:18:20 +0000, Larry wrote:

WOOD PLANES ARE STANDARD CRUISING
EQUIPMENT! You just never know when you'll need to use the on-board
wood shop on a sticky cabinet door that's mission critical....(c;

You bet. I carry a nice little bronze block plane made by Lie-Nielsen
in Maine:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=102

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/viewimage...1&layout=blank

It is razor sharp and a joy to work with.

Some sailors just can't lay out on a beanbag, soak up some sun, and do
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

NMEA/SeaTalk Wiring? claus Cruising 1 October 15th 06 02:50 AM
Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP nimbusgb Electronics 20 February 2nd 06 01:42 PM
Seatalk to NMEA 0183 Rob Electronics 4 May 4th 04 09:51 AM
Autohelm SeaTalk NMEA Bridge Captino Electronics 1 August 13th 03 11:13 PM
PC-GPS-NMEA-SeaTalk Wiring Len Krauss Electronics 0 August 10th 03 07:10 PM