posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default NMEA and SeaTalk on same network

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

One of the key things that we've done is to place all of our stores
into an Access database that I designed. While it doesn't include the
daily use tools, it does include the ones that are rarely used. The
database contains over 1400 items and there are 66 storage locations
defined. We're very good at keeping the database up to date, so when
we need a tool, part, food item, etc, we can quickly lay our hands on
it. I can't imagine life without it.

Oh, you've taken all the fun out of it! There are a thousand little
cubby holes in any Amel Sharki to hide tools/parts/stuff. It can take
days to find that "special place" our Cap'n took real pains storing that
one little spanner you can't get it off without. The database would be
HUGE.

Our Cap'n loves his tools. You're right, it only GROWS, as does the
hardware stores. We were headed to some sleazy bar for lunch and
libation after working in our beloved bilge and happened upon one of the
neighbors trying to make a door fit in his galley with a typical
seaman's knife. "Wait a minute", Cap'n says, headed back to his boat.
3 minutes later, the neighbor was using a beautiful wood plane to shave
the wood perfectly off that door. WOOD PLANES ARE STANDARD CRUISING
EQUIPMENT! You just never know when you'll need to use the on-board
wood shop on a sticky cabinet door that's mission critical....(c;

We don't have an awl. We have a COLLECTION of awls. I never found an
anvil. That doesn't mean there's not one aboard! "What the hell are we
gonna do with this gear puller??" "What? We don't have a lathe?!"

You can tell when your tool collection is nearing "adequate" when the
boatyard workers are borrowing your special tools they don't have in the
biggest boatyard in town.....(c;

Seen that...first hand.

She isn't fast, but SHE'S FULLY EQUIPPED!
She needs a towed BARGE on a long line!