posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

Default Nmea and seatalk to TCP / IP

Anyone know of a device that does this? I am looking for a winter
project and putting together a NMEA / Seatalk multiplexer to TCP/IP
converter sounds like fun.

1 - It would make the connections to a laptop a breeze - no RS232, no
USB converters just a network cable.
2 - With an RF interface I could hook into the data with a WiFi PDA.
3 - If web enabled then no special software on the Laptop or PDA to
display and control the seatalk, just use the regular browser.

Ian

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On 15 Jan 2006 13:21:06 -0800, "nimbusgb"
wrote:

Anyone know of a device that does this? I am looking for a winter
project and putting together a NMEA / Seatalk multiplexer to TCP/IP
converter sounds like fun.

1 - It would make the connections to a laptop a breeze - no RS232, no
USB converters just a network cable.
2 - With an RF interface I could hook into the data with a WiFi PDA.
3 - If web enabled then no special software on the Laptop or PDA to
display and control the seatalk, just use the regular browser.

Ian

No real need to multiplex. A single RS-422 to ethernet converter per
NMEA device would work wouldn't it? B&B sells ethernet serial servers
that should work well. Not sure about Seatalk.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

In article . com,
"nimbusgb" wrote:

Anyone know of a device that does this? I am looking for a winter
project and putting together a NMEA / Seatalk multiplexer to TCP/IP
converter sounds like fun.

1 - It would make the connections to a laptop a breeze - no RS232, no
USB converters just a network cable.
2 - With an RF interface I could hook into the data with a WiFi PDA.
3 - If web enabled then no special software on the Laptop or PDA to
display and control the seatalk, just use the regular browser.

Ian

One of the Rabbit Micro's that has an Ethernet Interface and comes
with a license free IP Stack, would be a good place to start. Then all
you need to do is add a bunch of RS-422 Ports, and some custom
programing, and your done..... Jameco sells that stuff...

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

Thats where I have started. Already have the Seatalk stuff working.
HTML by the weekend!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"nimbusgb" wrote in news:1137448005.526917.226780
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thats where I have started. Already have the Seatalk stuff working.
HTML by the weekend!

Aboard S/V "Lionheart", it's all wireless to the computer.

Seatalk Equipment
RL70CRC color display/chart plotter with 2KW Radar at 25'
Raymarine GPS with Seatalk output
Raymarine Gyro sensor/compass
This all connects to the RL70CRC which handles Seatalk to NMEA0183
conversion and outputs NMEA to a Roland NMEA multiplexer.

NMEA suite
B&G sailing instruments (Wind, Speed, Data repeater at Nav station,
Depth)
B&G Pilot electro-hydraulic autopilot directly connected to rudder post
bellcrank
All B&G units are "Network", not the latest and greatest and proprietary.
"Network" instruments use NMEA0183 data through each so just pull in/out
to the multiplexer, without extra boxes.

Garmin 185 GPS/Chart plotter (backup GPS/plotter at helm) also does
backup depth duty. Output is switched from Seatalk network on
emergencies. Normally only listener for waypoint data.

Yeoman paper chart electronic plotter on nav table top.

Computer network....
Serial port output of NMEA multiplexer fed directly to RS-232 to
Ethernet-TCP/IP converter with DHCP-enabled network port. Network port
of converter feeds Netgear wireless router LAN port 1 hardwired.
Wireless network talks to Dell Latitude notebook's 802.11g transceiver,
also DHCP enabled for automatic configuration. Dell runs The Cap'n nav
software which expects to be connected to a serial port, so a "virtual
serial port" (VSP) background dll handles data from the network to its
imaginary COM3 serial port The Cap'n connects to, seamlessly. The VSP
software came with the converter we bought, called a WebFoot. The VSP is
configured to attach through the LAN to the Webfoot's IP to swap data in
and out of the NMEA multiplexer, just as if the computer were hard
connected to it. The multiplexer, Webfoot and Netgear are in the cabinet
over the galley that houses Amel's steering gear and helm connections,
all running off my independently switched "electronic suite" 12V power
supply. (One push-pull switch with big red light shuts down all the
electronics in the boat except for the emergency VHF Icom M59 which is
independently wired to the starting battery for house failures.)

The Cap'n doesn't know about the LAN as it has nothing to do with it.
Humans have nothing to do except boot up and it's all ready to go. You
can lay in a beanbag, leaned up against the mainmast under the genoa and
navigate the boat while enjoying your libation. Haven't seen one
neater...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"nimbusgb" wrote in news:1137448005.526917.226780
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thats where I have started. Already have the Seatalk stuff working.
HTML by the weekend!

Aboard S/V "Lionheart", it's all wireless to the computer.

In a while I'll have a MiniPlex-42Wi, which does all these tricks out of one
box: NMEA, Seatalk and Wifi...

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

In a while I'll have a MiniPlex-42Wi, which does all these tricks out
of one box: NMEA, Seatalk and Wifi...

Meindert

Cool. What's its price point?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

In a while I'll have a MiniPlex-42Wi, which does all these tricks out
of one box: NMEA, Seatalk and Wifi...

Meindert

Cool. What's its price point?

Around 630 euro's. And before anyone shouts that it is too expensive: it's
is not mass market stuff. While you can buy an accesspoint for $50, I have
to pay appr. $130 for the very tiny embedded serial-wifi module. Add the
markups etc. and there you go.... ;-)
But you save on installation costs.....

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Around 630 euro's.

OUCH! That's about $US1000 minidollarettes, now.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Around 630 euro's.

OUCH! That's about $US1000 minidollarettes, now.

Nah, only $760....

Meindert