posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default NMEA and SeaTalk on same network

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
:

In the case of multiple compasses, which I have, it averages the
reading between the sources.

Is there a seatalk-only heading sensor? I've got a heading sensor but
it's attached to the autopilot, and thus only works what that's turned
on. I tend not to use the autopilot but would like a header
indicator.

-Bill Kearney

Yes, there is a SeaTalk only heading sensor. I don't have the part number,
but I utilize one and a smart heading fluxgate sensor. My system is a
hybrid that started out as an ST-80 system and has had many components
switched out and upgraded over the years. Since it's all SeaTalk, it plays
together OK, but certainly isn't something that anyone would ever sell
today.

Basically I do this because I often cruise in locations where getting tech
support/spares is very difficult, and I want quick failover and/or hot
spares. Quite often I keep the spare unplugged and just unplug the failed
unit and plug in the hot spare. That way if I get zapped by lightening or
an electrical glitch, I should be able to recover quickly. I have a my old
course computer in a Faraday box along with other critical spares. This
also partially explains my waterline loss...

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org