posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default WiFi and Cellular Internet

* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

--
---
Alan Spicer

DBA Alan Spicer Telcom / Alan Spicer Marine Telecom
Computer Services, Wired/Wireless Networking,
Cell/Sat/Landline Communications, General Consulting...
Marine, Business, Small Office and Home Office (SOHO)
* http://telecom.dyndns.biz/ (Main Site)
* http://www.marinetelecom.net/ (.net mirror site)
* http://alanspicermarinetelecom.com/ (.com mirror site)
* http://www.wifiyacht.net/ (Yacht WiFi Main Site)
* http://www.mymarinewifi.com/ (My Marine WiFi .com site)
* 954-683-3426 Business Mobile
* 866-977-5245 Toll Free 800#
* 954-977-5245 Office
* skype:alanspicertelecom

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Alan Spicer" wrote in news:Xljki.20487
:

Cell/Sat/Landline Communications,

Alan, many lurkers here would be interested in who has the best service at
the cheapest price for satellite phone service, such as Iridium. Your
experience and knowledge would be most appreciated.

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Alan Spicer" wrote in news:Xljki.20487
:

Cell/Sat/Landline Communications,

Alan, many lurkers here would be interested in who has the best service at
the cheapest price for satellite phone service, such as Iridium. Your
experience and knowledge would be most appreciated.

Larry

* Hello Larry,

I have a few articles on my Blog regarding satellite
http://telecom.dyndns.biz/b2evolution/blogs/

I just posted a bunch of them over on popularwireless.com forum. There's a
link to the marine forum at the top of my blog, or here it is...

http://www.popularwireless.com/forum...tlist&Board=30

More specifically here is the forum thread. It began titled as BGAN. Also
interesting is Internet Access for marine vessels via satellite as well as
other methods I've already mentioned.

* I wonder if we could "Frugal" (as in Frugal on Google.com) for Iridium for
best prices? I don't sell satellite gear or service directly... but I'd be
willing to consult on getting it done. I usually come in to integrate things
onboard such as voice, fax, Internet, and onboard networks.

* It's pretty much known, the problems that Globalstar has been having... If
you have Globalstar already perhaps you have war stories on using it?

---
Alan Spicer (find me by name, just search on google, etc.)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Alan Spicer" wrote in
:

I have a few articles on my Blog regarding satellite
http://telecom.dyndns.biz/b2evolution/blogs/

I just posted a bunch of them over on popularwireless.com forum.
There's a link to the marine forum at the top of my blog, or here it
is...

http://www.popularwireless.com/forum...ostlist&Board=
30

More specifically here is the forum thread. It began titled as BGAN.
Also interesting is Internet Access for marine vessels via satellite
as well as other methods I've already mentioned.

* I wonder if we could "Frugal" (as in Frugal on Google.com) for
Iridium for best prices? I don't sell satellite gear or service
directly... but I'd be willing to consult on getting it done. I
usually come in to integrate things onboard such as voice, fax,
Internet, and onboard networks.

* It's pretty much known, the problems that Globalstar has been
having... If you have Globalstar already perhaps you have war stories
on using it?

---
Alan Spicer (find me by name, just search on google, etc.)

Thanks for the information. We're not using satellites on our smaller
sailboats, but I have seen many asking about it who are going overseas in
this newsgroup in the past.

I do have an Iridium handset I paid $25 for complete with battery and
charger back when the Iridium constellation went bankrupt, before the US
military stepped up to fund it. The yachtsman I bought it from got
INMARSAT installed and was about to dump the Iridium phone in the
dumpster. I figured it would make a nice conversation piece, unaware of
its resurrection...(c;

I found a UK supplier for Iridium at $1.49/minute, but have never acted
to put it back online....

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.
It just isn't fair.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 9, 7:42 pm, Larry wrote:
"Alan Spicer" wrote :

[...]

Darn, good call on the Irridium phone! Got any stock tips too???

So how much time/$ does it take for an Iridium connection to download
a OPC weather fax map?

I was browsing a few GBAN sites the other day. Some say they have 3
birds giving nearly global converage and others say only 2 with a big
chunk of the pacific not covered. Any info on this?

And then no info re marine install. Any thoughts there?

Bob

On Jul 10, 1:20 am, Bob wrote:
On Jul 9, 7:42 pm, Larry wrote:

"Alan Spicer" wrote :

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

* How big is an OPC weather fax map? 2400 bps Internet, maybe 9600bps
with compression. The only satellite gear in the Globalstar/Iridium
that I've
actually touched and worked on myself is Globalstar. But I understand
the
Iridium is very similar.

BGAN they have 2 birds up already and you are right about the chunk
of
the pacific not covered. I understand that bird #3 will go up early
next year.

Waiting on November (or any other news I can get ahold of) for the
Fleet
Broadband/BGAN Marine Story. I understand the dish/radome assembly's
will be a bit smaller than they were for Fleet 33/55/77 systems.
Maybe
they can fit on smaller vessels. That'd be neat. Perhaps they will be
less
expensive to buy as well. I do believe Fleet Broadband/BGAN Marine
may be less expensive (can be turned off to save airtime) than VSAT
type of systems.

---
Alan Spicer (just search for my name, I'll come running)
....I have ESP, or ESPN, or Broadband, orrrr sumthing...

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bob wrote in news:1184044832.472379.250090
@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Darn, good call on the Irridium phone! Got any stock tips too???

When Worldcom crashed, I bought 180,000 shares at 6c/share. A week
later, I figured the bounce was about as high as it was going to get at
19c/share and dumped it, paying the taxes, prematurely as it bounced up
to 22c/share. I've done that quite a few times on the pink sheets...(c;
I love to play on Ameritrade...(c;

So how much time/$ does it take for an Iridium connection to download
a OPC weather fax map?

I don't know. I've never had the phone on a subscription, but from the
Iridium video I see on tv from the Middle East wars, I'd think it would
be faster than a cellphone.

I was browsing a few GBAN sites the other day. Some say they have 3
birds giving nearly global converage and others say only 2 with a big
chunk of the pacific not covered. Any info on this?

Nope, sorry. Iridium doesn't use stationary birds. They use low earth
polar orbit birds in a huge constellation like GPS to cover the whole
planet. It even works at the poles!

And then no info re marine install. Any thoughts there?

My phone is a portable. No installation necessary. Satphones are toys
for the very rich on large yachts. If you have to ask the price, you
probably don't want to know...(c;

Bob

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.
It just isn't fair.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 01:05:29 -0400, "Alan Spicer"
wrote:

* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

i live far, far out int he country and was using a mom and pop ISP.
they collapsed so just went to Sprint PCS. seems OK but the speed is
measured at 250-650 kB/s and they occasionally kick me off the system
just like AOL used to do....guess it's considered a 'dial up' account.

advantage: can be used anywhere in the US.

disadvantage: customer support. their support was designed by the nazi
party and it took 6 hours for them to find out how to get my email
program configured for their server. i routinely spent 2 hours on hold
only to get dumped. their people don't even know they sell PCS cards
so can't handle them.

WiFi and Cellular Internet on Boats Alan Spicer Cruising 9 July 10th 07 07:45 AM
WI-FI BOOSTER Richard Lane Electronics 5 March 23rd 07 07:25 PM
Wireless Internet while Cruising Messing In Boats Cruising 33 February 1st 07 11:19 AM
internet onboard Chi Chi Electronics 9 October 18th 06 04:27 PM
Boating and laptops and WIFI JimH General 14 June 24th 06 08:32 AM