posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default WiFi and Cellular Internet

"Alan Spicer" wrote in
:

I have a few articles on my Blog regarding satellite
http://telecom.dyndns.biz/b2evolution/blogs/

I just posted a bunch of them over on popularwireless.com forum.
There's a link to the marine forum at the top of my blog, or here it
is...

http://www.popularwireless.com/forum...ostlist&Board=
30

More specifically here is the forum thread. It began titled as BGAN.
Also interesting is Internet Access for marine vessels via satellite
as well as other methods I've already mentioned.

* I wonder if we could "Frugal" (as in Frugal on Google.com) for
Iridium for best prices? I don't sell satellite gear or service
directly... but I'd be willing to consult on getting it done. I
usually come in to integrate things onboard such as voice, fax,
Internet, and onboard networks.

* It's pretty much known, the problems that Globalstar has been
having... If you have Globalstar already perhaps you have war stories
on using it?

---
Alan Spicer (find me by name, just search on google, etc.)

Thanks for the information. We're not using satellites on our smaller
sailboats, but I have seen many asking about it who are going overseas in
this newsgroup in the past.

I do have an Iridium handset I paid $25 for complete with battery and
charger back when the Iridium constellation went bankrupt, before the US
military stepped up to fund it. The yachtsman I bought it from got
INMARSAT installed and was about to dump the Iridium phone in the
dumpster. I figured it would make a nice conversation piece, unaware of
its resurrection...(c;

I found a UK supplier for Iridium at $1.49/minute, but have never acted
to put it back online....

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.