posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default internet onboard

I'm looking for any information on how to go about getting full internet
capabilities on board. I've researched some of the various ways from the
wifi setup to the expensive dishes made solely for satelite internet but
don't know the pluses and minus's of them. Do most marina's today offer
wifi? what about the expensive dishes? Can You get both internet and Tv
through a dish or must they be seperate dishes?
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1981 Hunter 37 cutter as a liveaboard and
plan on cruising with her in the future. She currently is in a slip in
Rockport Tx and We plan on keeping her there probably for the next 6 months
to a year before we head out and I sure would like to be able to get some
sort of internet access at the most economical price of course.
So if anybody has tackled this problem on their own boats I'd sure
appreciate some info.
Thanks,
Chi Chi

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Chi Chi" wrote in
. com:

[...]

I think that the first thing that you should do is go to groups.google.com
and do an advanced search on this news group and rec.boats.electronics for
"Internet". I think that you'll find that this has been discussed many,
many times.

-- Geoff
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I use Verizon's broadband wireless and it works very well. I'd suggest
looking at Sprint's as well before you decide. They seem to have
improved on the basic EVDO and may have higher speeds. I'll be looking
at switching later. Wi-Fi is spotty, and you can't use a dish for
internet on a boat.. too unstable.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I have a Wi-Fi antenna of about 8 db gain for marina that have wireless and
an Evdo card for global internet access. The Evdo is working well and gives
good bandwith of 200-400 kbps but it works only within the range of Evdo
enabled antennas. Otherwise the Evdo card fallback to 1X which is about
100 kbps. At that speed you need to have a very clean configuration of
Windows XP if you dont want to pay for XP continuously seeking update on the
internet. Plan for about 50-75 $ per month for your Evdo/1x connection (i
live in Canada and this is the price here)

Internet dishes that are bi-directional are very costly and would you be
patient enough to reposition your dishes every time there is a tide or shift
of the dock ?

André

"Chi Chi" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

See if there's local wifi at the marina. If so then you could add an
antenna to the boat and a wifi router to make the connection to it. I did
this on our boat using a pair of wifi routers. One picks up the signal from
shore (using it's wifi radio) and it's then wired to another router
belowdecks that provides a local 'on boat' wifi network. Works great. All
I have to do when making port is pull up the shore-link router's config page
and select the appropriate wireless network from shore.

Otherwise you're faced with the hassles of using cellular company network
cards. They do work if there's coverage but they're not cheap per month.
Satellite based stuff is generally not cheap, nor for the units themselves
nor the monthly service fees.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I use Verizon's broadband wireless and it works very well.

Like Keith... Verizon is what I use with my lap top "confuser"
when aboard my boat at Channel Island Harbor, Oxnard, Calif..

It's a simple mobile "app" providing your within their coverage
area... naturally.

Best regards

Bill

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:13:49 GMT, "Chi Chi"
wrote:

[...]

Where will you be? Are you looking for access at sea, anchored, and/or
at a marina?

wrote:

[...]

By "where will you be?" I mean what countries will you be in. I think
the answers that suggest using a particular cellular service apply in
the US/Canada only.

I have Verizon with the "North America" plan. In major Mexican ports,
I can get "1x" quality phone connections but as far as I know internet
service isn't available. There seems to be wireless available in or
near all the marinas I've been in but often you have to walk to a
nearby hotel to get service. That means you need a laptop.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len Len is offline

There is a site with more info than the url I mentioned in my previous
message.
Take a look at http://www.wandy.nl/2voc.htm

Fair winds,
Len.