posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default WiFi and Cellular Internet

Bob wrote in news:1184044832.472379.250090
@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Darn, good call on the Irridium phone! Got any stock tips too???

When Worldcom crashed, I bought 180,000 shares at 6c/share. A week
later, I figured the bounce was about as high as it was going to get at
19c/share and dumped it, paying the taxes, prematurely as it bounced up
to 22c/share. I've done that quite a few times on the pink sheets...(c;
I love to play on Ameritrade...(c;

So how much time/$ does it take for an Iridium connection to download
a OPC weather fax map?

I don't know. I've never had the phone on a subscription, but from the
Iridium video I see on tv from the Middle East wars, I'd think it would
be faster than a cellphone.

I was browsing a few GBAN sites the other day. Some say they have 3
birds giving nearly global converage and others say only 2 with a big
chunk of the pacific not covered. Any info on this?

Nope, sorry. Iridium doesn't use stationary birds. They use low earth
polar orbit birds in a huge constellation like GPS to cover the whole
planet. It even works at the poles!

And then no info re marine install. Any thoughts there?

My phone is a portable. No installation necessary. Satphones are toys
for the very rich on large yachts. If you have to ask the price, you
probably don't want to know...(c;

Bob

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.