Default WiFi and Cellular Internet on Boats

* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

--
---
Alan Spicer

DBA Alan Spicer Telcom / Alan Spicer Marine Telecom
Computer Services, Wired/Wireless Networking,
Cell/Sat/Landline Communications, General Consulting...
Marine, Business, Small Office and Home Office (SOHO)
* http://telecom.dyndns.biz/ (Main Site)
* http://www.marinetelecom.net/ (.net mirror site)
* http://alanspicermarinetelecom.com/ (.com mirror site)
* http://www.wifiyacht.net/ (Yacht WiFi Main Site)
* http://www.mymarinewifi.com/ (My Marine WiFi .com site)
* 954-683-3426 Business Mobile
* 866-977-5245 Toll Free 800#
* 954-977-5245 Office
* skype:alanspicertelecom

"Alan Spicer" wrote in message
* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from
marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just
brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

I use idockusa.com while on my boat in the marina. They have decent coverage
and speed. I believe they have some agreement with Broadband Xpress for
locations other than California.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I use idockusa.com while on my boat in the marina. They have decent
coverage and speed. I believe they have some agreement with Broadband
Xpress for locations other than California.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

* Interesting. I checked out that site idockusa.com. I also stopped by your
web site. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida but one of my yacht customers is
over there somewhere. MY Maximus II.

Anyway I take it you're getting enough signal on a laptop not to have to put
an external antenna or amplifier?

---

* http://www.mymarinewifi.com/ (Marine WiFi .com mirror site)
* IPv6 http://[2001:5c0:8104::1]/
*

Alan Spicer wrote:
* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

Our marina on Carlyle Lake, IL (Boulder) doesn't seem to have wireless
access. Cell coverage is, at best, weak with Cingulator. But some
services have better covewrage there.

I don't think there is much demand as most are day sailors and not
liveaboard occupants.

It would be nice to have better cell phone coverage and wireless access
so that telecommunting would be easier. Would be a big benefit to be
able to access email while out sailing.

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message
Our marina on Carlyle Lake, IL (Boulder) doesn't seem to have wireless
access. Cell coverage is, at best, weak with Cingulator. But some
services have better covewrage there.

I don't think there is much demand as most are day sailors and not
liveaboard occupants.

It would be nice to have better cell phone coverage and wireless access so
that telecommunting would be easier. Would be a big benefit to be able to
access email while out sailing.

* Wow, that's a big lake. So do you think putting up an outside antenna and
an amplifier on the WiFi or Cellular would make any difference?

---
Alan Spicer
DBA Alan Spicer Telcom / Alan Spicer Marine Telecom
Computer Services, Wired/Wireless Networking,
Cell/Sat/Landline Communications, General Consulting...
Marine, Business, Small Office and Home Office (SOHO)
* http://telecom.dyndns.biz/ (Main Site)
* http://www.marinetelecom.net/ (.net mirror site)
* http://alanspicermarinetelecom.com/ (.com mirror site)
* http://www.wifiyacht.net/ (Yacht WiFi Main Site)
* http://www.mymarinewifi.com/ (Marine WiFi .com mirror site)
* 954-683-3426 Business Mobile
* 866-977-5245 Toll Free 800#
* 954-977-5245 Office
* skype:alanspicertelecom

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 01:44:50 -0400, "Alan Spicer"
wrote:

Anyway I take it you're getting enough signal on a laptop not to have to put
an external antenna or amplifier?

I'm using an external antenna, 15 db vertical at 30 ft, coupled with
low loss coax to a 200 mw USB adapter. It works well and routinely
connects to hotspots over a mile away, sometimes as much as 4 or 5
miles to a good outdoor AP.

Senao/Engenius makes some of the best high powered adapters in my
experience, and WLAN Parts/Passadena Networks is a good supplier of
all things related to WiFi.

www.wlanparts.com

"Alan Spicer" wrote in message
.. .
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I use idockusa.com while on my boat in the marina. They have decent
coverage and speed. I believe they have some agreement with Broadband
Xpress for locations other than California.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

* Interesting. I checked out that site idockusa.com. I also stopped by
your web site. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida but one of my yacht
customers is over there somewhere. MY Maximus II.

Anyway I take it you're getting enough signal on a laptop not to have to
put an external antenna or amplifier?

---

Definitely enough... I'd say it's near DSL speed, although I haven't run any
of the available tests. When I was in Richardson Bay Marina, the signal
strength was ok I guess, but I wasn't really happy with it, and I was
considering an external antenna or amp, but when I moved marinas, the change
for the better was dramatic. I have trouble with cell service at the new
place, but not for WiFi.

I'm not familiar with the boat... sorry.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
[...]

If you would like to do a speed test try http://performance.toast.net/ Try a
few different
Servers on there in case some of them are just slow themselves.

---
Alan Spicer

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

[...]

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

(Bellsouth/AT&T Newsgroups Server having troubles tonight, posting via
Google...)

A lot of boaters seem to recommend Engenius. I haven't used them.

I design amplified + antenna + router/sharing systems. I use some
gear from a local company here in Southeast Florida. But I can work
with most of the stuff out there.

* Hey, check this out...
http://www.axcess2go.com/AntennaCalc.htm

See if you're legal... You might be over power. 15db that's a lot of
antenna
gain.

---
Alan Spicer

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

[...]

(Posting via Google tonight. Bellsouth/AT&T NNTP Server having
problems)

WI-FI BOOSTER Richard Lane Electronics 5 March 23rd 07 07:25 PM
internet onboard Chi Chi Electronics 9 October 18th 06 04:27 PM
New Marine WiFi Product Wayne.B General 19 September 18th 06 04:58 PM
New Marine WiFi Product Wayne.B Cruising 21 September 18th 06 04:58 PM
New Marine WiFi Product Wayne.B Electronics 21 September 18th 06 04:58 PM