posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] wf3h@comcast.net is offline

Default WiFi and Cellular Internet

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 01:05:29 -0400, "Alan Spicer"
wrote:

* I do networks and Internet Access Sharing systems on yachts. I'm curious
what most people are getting to share WiFi Hotspot connections from marinas
and such, and for those Laptop Cellular Internet Cards? Verizon is pretty
fast these days, as is Sprint and Cingular (Cingular being GSM just brought
HSDPA broadband access online to most areas in the past year or so.)

i live far, far out int he country and was using a mom and pop ISP.
they collapsed so just went to Sprint PCS. seems OK but the speed is
measured at 250-650 kB/s and they occasionally kick me off the system
just like AOL used to do....guess it's considered a 'dial up' account.

advantage: can be used anywhere in the US.

disadvantage: customer support. their support was designed by the nazi
party and it took 6 hours for them to find out how to get my email
program configured for their server. i routinely spent 2 hours on hold
only to get dumped. their people don't even know they sell PCS cards
so can't handle them.