posted to rec.boats.electronics
PR PR is offline

Default LF 12 volt LCD monitor 15 to 17 inch

Would anyone happen to know of a supplier of 12 volt LCD's hopefully in
Canada? Don't need marine spec as such just 12 volt.

Thanks...
posted to rec.boats.electronics

I would go to a computer/best buy and look at the monitor. The 12v ones
have an external 'brick'. If it has output of 12v and the monitor looks
'good' buy it.

BUT. I won't run it off the house battery. They have voltage anywhere
from 10v to 14.5v. I've been running monitor/tv and computer off my
house battery BUT I have a 12v-12v converter. Look at
:http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/504

It can run from 6v to 24v. I put them into a box and run a line with the
plug into the monitor/tv.

The tv I got from Walmart and the monitors I got from BestBuy.

Hope this helps.

Hanz

PR wrote:
Would anyone happen to know of a supplier of 12 volt LCD's hopefully in
Canada? Don't need marine spec as such just 12 volt.

Thanks...

posted to rec.boats.electronics
PR PR is offline

Thank you for that advice Hanz - it seems to be a good idea. I'm actually
sourcing for a marine customer so I'll offer them that solution. Boats
definitely would have an unstable DC supply.

Russ

On May 11, 11:11 am, PR wrote:
Would anyone happen to know of a supplier of 12 volt LCD's hopefully in
Canada? Don't need marine spec as such just 12 volt.

Thanks...

Your actually better off getting something that needs 14.6v or higher
and then getting a DC-DC converter to step up the voltage. These
converters will deliver 14.6 or higher (mine is 18v) no matter the
voltage is between 11v or 14.6v. Also, all the decent sized screens
require 18v or highter.

I ended up going to PC-Richards Appliance Giant (a northeast provider)
to buy my monitor, as the Best Buy and Circuit City products didn't
have bricks, but rather took AC voltage directly into their units.

Beware, some of these DC-DC devices can be damaged when the voltage
falls below 10v, so you should have them shut off when starting the
engine or using the windlass.

b393capt

PR wrote:
Thank you for that advice Hanz - it seems to be a good idea. I'm actually
sourcing for a marine customer so I'll offer them that solution. Boats
definitely would have an unstable DC supply.

Russ

Another option to consider is using a small/cheap DC to AC inverter with
a LCD that has an AC power input. Small inverters are getting pretty
cheap (especially the modified sine wave stuff) and they are not too bad
as far as the power draw for a smaller load.

They must have inverters up there in the Canadian woods by now, aye? We
got em down here in Maine now, they're wicked cheap too. Yep, you
betcha...

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Surplus HP F1064A DC-DC converts. They were designed for their 12v
Lap Tops to run off of car "12v" so have a wide range of input
voltages supported. They supply I think around 50 watts.

Shows up on Ebay every once and a while for under $10

-al-

On May 12, 5:13 am, Jack Erbes wrote:
PR wrote:
Thank you for that advice Hanz - it seems to be a good idea. I'm actually
sourcing for a marine customer so I'll offer them that solution. Boats
definitely would have an unstable DC supply.

Russ

Another option to consider is using a small/cheap DC to AC inverter with
a LCD that has an AC power input. Small inverters are getting pretty
cheap (especially the modified sine wave stuff) and they are not too bad
as far as the power draw for a smaller load.

They must have inverters up there in the Canadian woods by now, aye? We
got em down here in Maine now, they're wicked cheap too. Yep, you
betcha...

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

A DC-DC solutions uses much less power then an inverter, and is
entirely silent (if you use line isolators to eliminate any ground
feedback, for example when connecting a DVD player, etc.)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

ups.com...
PR wrote:
[...]

I use a small DC stabiliser from a UK company called Amperor. It works very
well indeed.
http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/produ...Stabiliser.asp

Stewart