beaufortnc

Default Golf cart batteries w/ 12 volt batteries - Problem?

My house bank is six 220 amphour 6 volt golf carts wired into a 12 volt
system.

I have a perfect place for another battery, but two golf carts won't
fit there. I can however, fit a good size 12 volt deep cycle there.

Do you see any harm in wiring a 12 volt battery into the system?

In other words, mixing the 2 x 6 =12 volts with a 12 volt.

Thanks,

Mike.

Tom Shilson

Not recommended. The load characteristics are different and the
batteries will end up trying to charge each other.

tom
of the Swee****er Sea

beaufortnc wrote:
My house bank is six 220 amphour 6 volt golf carts wired into a 12 volt
system.

I have a perfect place for another battery, but two golf carts won't
fit there. I can however, fit a good size 12 volt deep cycle there.

Do you see any harm in wiring a 12 volt battery into the system?

In other words, mixing the 2 x 6 =12 volts with a 12 volt.

Thanks,

Mike.

DSK

beaufortnc wrote:
My house bank is six 220 amphour 6 volt golf carts wired into a 12 volt
system.

I have a perfect place for another battery, but two golf carts won't
fit there. I can however, fit a good size 12 volt deep cycle there.

Do you see any harm in wiring a 12 volt battery into the system?

It will certainly not add much useful capacity to your house bank,
because the different type batteries will have different discharge
curve. It will also insure that neither type battery is properly
charged, and may result in a shorter cycle life for all batteries.

It's expensive to do the job properly, ie use only the correct type
batteries, all the same type of batteries within a plant, replace all at
the same time, and have correctly sized & properly regulated charging
eqp't. But failure to do any (or all) the above results in the problems
so many people complain about.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Peter Bennett

On 20 Jul 2005 05:17:38 -0700, "beaufortnc"
wrote:

My house bank is six 220 amphour 6 volt golf carts wired into a 12 volt
system.

I have a perfect place for another battery, but two golf carts won't
fit there. I can however, fit a good size 12 volt deep cycle there.

Do you see any harm in wiring a 12 volt battery into the system?

In other words, mixing the 2 x 6 =12 volts with a 12 volt.

Thanks,

Mike.

Although it is generally recommended that all batteries in a battery
bank should be identical, I don't think you'll have any problems, as
long as the new batttery is a flooded deep cycle battery - AGM and
Gell Cells have slightly different charging characteristics, so
shouldn't be mixed with flooded batteries.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
beaufortnc

Thanks fellas,

Mike.

Buying Boat Batteries - Check My Thinking Gary Warner General 14 July 9th 04 07:58 AM
charging batteries and sim. using power Len Cruising 13 May 10th 04 02:31 AM
Parallelling AGM starting and Golf Cart Batteries... Larry W4CSC Cruising 10 April 26th 04 07:58 PM
Batteries and baby bottles RG General 9 December 24th 03 07:34 PM
12 volt Batteries - branda and/or where to buy ?? Gary Warner General 9 September 4th 03 01:17 PM