posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

Or maybe they dumped me? Has anyone else been faced with the problem
that Nobeltec VNS is unusable and downright destructive on a Vista
system-and that Microsoft has forced their vendors to only offer Vista
now on new computers. Nobeltec appears to be unique in the charting
software world by simply refusing to deal with it. Since it finally
bit me, I sent them the email below, although I don't really expect
anything from them. I use charting software for planning and
replanning trips, and had continued to use VNS for many years because
it has most features and I was comfortable with its foibles. Now
forced to go to Plan B. Just a warning to others using VNS.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec "I am a long time user of Nobeltec VNS since
the original Navtrek days. We are currently in Mexico, preparing to go
back to California. Have been using VNS 8 under Windows XP, with only
some minor glitches (like unable to download routes and waypoints from
a Raymarine). Had a computer die, only replacements available run
Vista OS. Nobeltec does not run at all under Vista-most of your
competitors do. Tried installing, got error messages. When I removed
it completely, it took a lot of other (non-Nobeltec) programs with it,
so I had t spend time reconstructing stuff. Ordered a copy of Maptech
Chart Navigator Pro (Vista compatible), which someone will carry from
the states to me. In the interim, using a free program called
SeaClear, which works fine under Vista, processes AIS, but lacks the
planning tools of the majors. Things like OziExplorer, Fugawi, etc.
Also run fine under Vista. Nobeltec abandoned us in Mexico, so time to
find someone else. If you still have your support files, you will find
this is not the first major support issue I have had with Nobeltec.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, ... "
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Suggestion: stick with your Nobeltec and DUMP THE ##@&%%*)^ VISTA.

I recently bought a new Dell desktop--with Vista aboard--and spent 2 days
trying to get my old files transferred and everything working. Impossible.
I returned the computer to Dell, admitting the problem was the OS, not the
machine. But they sold me a product I could NOT use, and I said I expected
a full refund. Dell, bless their weird bones, complied.

We're running Maptech gear on our boat, with Windows XP. When its time to
replace the onboard laptop, I'll go with a Mac if I have to in order to
avoid Vista.

I lay this wholly at Microsoft's feet. XP has been working fine. It is
fairly stable, hence reliable. But Microsoft had to pump its profits by
force feeding a new OS on the world at large.

Anyone care to join my one-man boycott?

Dick B.

LNVT "Annie"

news

R.W. Behan wrote:
Suggestion: stick with your Nobeltec and DUMP THE ##@&%%*)^ VISTA.

I recently bought a new Dell desktop--with Vista aboard--and spent 2 days
trying to get my old files transferred and everything working. Impossible.
I returned the computer to Dell, admitting the problem was the OS, not the
machine. But they sold me a product I could NOT use, and I said I expected
a full refund. Dell, bless their weird bones, complied.

We're running Maptech gear on our boat, with Windows XP. When its time to
replace the onboard laptop, I'll go with a Mac if I have to in order to
avoid Vista.

I lay this wholly at Microsoft's feet. XP has been working fine. It is
fairly stable, hence reliable. But Microsoft had to pump its profits by
force feeding a new OS on the world at large.

Anyone care to join my one-man boycott?

What makes you think its a one-man affair???

Sjouke Burry wrote:
R.W. Behan wrote:

Suggestion: stick with your Nobeltec and DUMP THE ##@&%%*)^ VISTA.

snip
Anyone care to join my one-man boycott?

What makes you think its a one-man affair???

Amen! I'm still using and am happy with Windows 2000 while I wait for
XP to get stable. Maybe a few more years and I'll consider switching to
XP.

What the Hell! *is* it with people? Just because it is new they jump on
it? Oh look! Where are all those lemmings going? Let's go with them!

Jeeze,

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

The complaints about Vista are only beginning... In my business I
have multiple computers running both Server 2003 and XP... The
software running on these machines are my paycheck, without them there
is no cash flow... The software is expensive and it is not Vista
compatible... So OS upgrades to Vista will have to wait until Vista
is stable and my vendors choose to upgrade their product to it...
In the event we lose a machine totally we will buy new hardware and
load XP/2003 on it ourselves...
You are only forced into Vista if you want a turnkey product from
Dell, etc... If you are willing to find some pimple faced 14 year old
hacker kid, he can whip you up a computer with any OS you need...

denny

Vic Smith wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 04:41:35 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

The complaints about Vista are only beginning... In my business I
have multiple computers running both Server 2003 and XP... The
software running on these machines are my paycheck, without them there
is no cash flow... The software is expensive and it is not Vista
compatible... So OS upgrades to Vista will have to wait until Vista
is stable and my vendors choose to upgrade their product to it...
In the event we lose a machine totally we will buy new hardware and
load XP/2003 on it ourselves...
You are only forced into Vista if you want a turnkey product from
Dell, etc... If you are willing to find some pimple faced 14 year old
hacker kid, he can whip you up a computer with any OS you need...

I'll throw my chips in with the no-Vista-for-now crowd.

Open source is the way forward guys. Forget M$. Think of it like being seated on a surf board,
waiting for a wave, you can feel the backwash just starting but you can't see the crest forming yet.
China, India, Brazil have all implemented plans to go Open Source. Has anyone read "The Tipping Point"?
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

On 4 Apr 2007 04:41:35 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

The complaints about Vista are only beginning... In my business I
have multiple computers running both Server 2003 and XP... The
software running on these machines are my paycheck, without them there
is no cash flow... The software is expensive and it is not Vista
compatible... So OS upgrades to Vista will have to wait until Vista
is stable and my vendors choose to upgrade their product to it...
In the event we lose a machine totally we will buy new hardware and
load XP/2003 on it ourselves...
You are only forced into Vista if you want a turnkey product from
Dell, etc... If you are willing to find some pimple faced 14 year old
hacker kid, he can whip you up a computer with any OS you need...

I'll throw my chips in with the no-Vista-for-now crowd.
Might be 4 or 5 years before it's practical for me to change to Vista.
XP will fine for me until I want an app that XP won't support.
I don't know of *any* recent - within 5 years - Win app without
XP compatibility, and most new apps will be XP compatible for some
years to come.
Getting Vista now is a sucker play if you want software (including
some hardware drivers) compatibility.
Having said that I don't have sympathy for Nobeltec either.
They knew what was in the works and should have had their
Vista upgrade ready. They'll probably lose more than one customer.

--Vic
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Nobeltec says on their website, and in an e-mail to their registered
customers, that VNS wasn't ready to use with Vista. There are a lot of
problems with using Vista on a computer, not the least of which it
needs to contact the mothership (MS) on an ongoing basis, or it shuts
down. Not a good scenario when you're out cruising and not plugged in
all the time. My nav computer is dedicated to that, and never connects
to the internet. I can't and won't use Vista.

On Apr 3, 11:45 pm, "R.W. Behan" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

news
[...]

ive been seeing suse for sometime now.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:55:37 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

What the Hell! *is* it with people? Just because it is new they jump on
it? Oh look! Where are all those lemmings going? Let's go with them!

The problem is with the computer vendors and Microsoft. Microsoft's
lock-in contracts with PC manufaturers have made it practically
impossible for them to sell a computer without an operating system, a
Microsoft operating system in most cases. So if you buy a new PC, you
are going to get the latest and greatest whether you want it or not.
If you strip Vista off and install Win2K or XP, you are putting the
warranty at risk, and you have wasted money since the cost of Vista is
built in and you don't have the ability to resell the operating
system.

I avoid this issue by buying off-lease/reconditioned laptops, usually
with no operating system but sometimes with Win2K or XP. Typical cost
is in the $300 to $400 range and I get years of boat service out of
them.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec [email protected] Cruising 38 April 12th 07 02:32 PM
AIS Compatability with Furuno Radars and Nobeltec Admiral already on board [email protected] Electronics 1 January 11th 06 10:33 PM
Nobeltec Radar LarryR Electronics 9 August 31st 05 10:56 PM
Mercury alleges dumping by Japanese mfgs? JB General 2 January 19th 04 01:24 AM
Wow! The Nobeltec chart library now available for Ten Bucks! (Not Spam.) Gould 0738 General 10 October 9th 03 06:52 PM