posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

"claus" wrote in message
. ..

"the_bmac" wrote in message
claus wrote:

Denny - I am running XP (SP2) on my laptop used for navigation purposes
onboard the boat.

I just downloaded the fix for the animated cursor flaw yesterday and was
not aware that it allowed MS to install the "Call Home" function... so I
need to get rid of that as my boat is not connected to the internet...
what is the proper technical name for that function - and is there any
way to disable it short of "rolling back" the software to the previous
state???

Unfortunately you cannot rollback. If you were using automatic updates
and this little POS got installed, you can't un-install it. The only
solution is to fdisk-format-reinstall, which of course leads into the
same "upgrade" hell cycle you've just completed. If you're not willing
to go Mac or Linux, you're simply going to have to starts whistling
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

My maiin concern is that the operating system would stop functioning if my
PC is not connected to the internet while I am out cruising...

Or am I misunderstanding Denney's post?

According to the windows xp discussion group:

No, it does not.

"claus" wrote in message
I am using windows XP (SP2) to run navigational software on my boat.

Is it correct that the latest "animated cursor" fix also installs a "Call
Home" feature that will make the OS inoperative if the PC can not "call
in" to Microsoft.

In that case I - and everyone else using a PC on a boat (or any other
location without internet access) - have a big problem. Not using the
navigational software is obviously not an option.

Have I misunderstood something???

Thank you for any clarification...

claus wrote:
My maiin concern is that the operating system would stop functioning if my
PC is not connected to the internet while I am out cruising...

I don't think that will happen, but of course with Windows just about anything is possible. That
wasn't meant in a particularly complimentary fashion.
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article l,
"Meindert Sprang" wrote:
A Mac Mini makes a fine navigation computer...

Meindert

As Well as a "Fantastic" DVD and Music Player, and a bunch of
other computing functions......

Precisely. And hardly any viruses around....

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

I had enough problems with previous versions of Nobletec to make me say
"enough is enough." The show-stopper was, the program would freeze
occasionally, completely freezing the computer. After shutdown and
rebooting, Nobletec would not run unless it was completely removed and
reinstalled. This happened about once a week.

It's a shame, because otherwise it was a pretty nice program. If only
they bothered to work out the bugs...

Matt O.

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:39:40 -0600, sd.sded wrote:

Or maybe they dumped me? Has anyone else been faced with the problem
that Nobeltec VNS is unusable and downright destructive on a Vista
system-and that Microsoft has forced their vendors to only offer Vista
now on new computers. Nobeltec appears to be unique in the charting
software world by simply refusing to deal with it. Since it finally
bit me, I sent them the email below, although I don't really expect
anything from them. I use charting software for planning and
replanning trips, and had continued to use VNS for many years because
it has most features and I was comfortable with its foibles. Now
forced to go to Plan B. Just a warning to others using VNS.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec "I am a long time user of Nobeltec VNS since
the original Navtrek days. We are currently in Mexico, preparing to go
back to California. Have been using VNS 8 under Windows XP, with only
some minor glitches (like unable to download routes and waypoints from
a Raymarine). Had a computer die, only replacements available run
Vista OS. Nobeltec does not run at all under Vista-most of your
competitors do. Tried installing, got error messages. When I removed
it completely, it took a lot of other (non-Nobeltec) programs with it,
so I had t spend time reconstructing stuff. Ordered a copy of Maptech
Chart Navigator Pro (Vista compatible), which someone will carry from
the states to me. In the interim, using a free program called
SeaClear, which works fine under Vista, processes AIS, but lacks the
planning tools of the majors. Things like OziExplorer, Fugawi, etc.
Also run fine under Vista. Nobeltec abandoned us in Mexico, so time to
find someone else. If you still have your support files, you will find
this is not the first major support issue I have had with Nobeltec.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, ... "

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
krj krj is offline

Matt O'Toole wrote:
[...]

I've been running Nobeltec since before it was Nobeltec. It was
originally Chart View until It was bought out. I have run versions 4 to
the current version 9 and haven't had it freeze up my computer. I run
Windows 2000 NT Professional OS.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:
This is a pretty good overview of the issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage.

Man! That is an ugly thing!

I was giving some idle thought to moving from W2K to XP sometime in the
future but I'm going to give that some thought and study how to avoid
WGA if I do that.

I'm not using illegal software but that is more than I could handle.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I had enough problems with previous versions of Nobletec to make me say
"enough is enough." The show-stopper was, the program would freeze
occasionally, completely freezing the computer. After shutdown and
rebooting, Nobletec would not run unless it was completely removed and
reinstalled. This happened about once a week.

It's a shame, because otherwise it was a pretty nice program. If only
they bothered to work out the bugs...

Matt O.

I don't have a boat or use a navigation software full time but I've
twice loaded the trial version of Rose Point's Coastal Navigator and I
really liked that software. It is very easy to master in use and does a
very good job with the NOAA free charting, both vector and raster. It
is worth taking a look at.

I had a couple of experiences with other people's installs of it it was
troublesome to say the least. On one, we spent most of the time using
my Garmin handheld to cover the lapses in the primary navigation system
and making sure it was on track and doing good.

In the meantime, SeaClear II is arguably the best freeware navigation
software in the world, a truly generous donation to the public domain.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

I'm not using illegal software but that is more than I could handle.

Yeah, tell the auto updater not to load a specific update, and check a box
telling it never to ask again. Yeah, sounds like WAY TOO MUCH work.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

I don't have a boat or use a navigation software full time but I've
twice loaded the trial version of Rose Point's Coastal Navigator and I
really liked that software. It is very easy to master in use and does a
very good job with the NOAA free charting, both vector and raster. It
is worth taking a look at.

Maptech private labels this and resells it with a dozen US waters DVDs
(maps, pix, depths, info) and calls it "Chart Navigator Pro". I picked it
up for $350 online. An *excellent* package and quite a bargain since it
includes nearly all US navigable waters.

In the meantime, SeaClear II is arguably the best freeware navigation
software in the world, a truly generous donation to the public domain.

SeaClear is worth the price paid; ie nothing. It's just nowhere near
friendly to use. My time is worth more than the hassles of using it.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:35:29 -0500, Jack Erbes wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

[...]

I've used all the major brands -- Nobletec, Maptech, The Cap'n, and one or
two others, and several versions of each. The owner of the boat I sail on
was Maptech customer #3 (mid-80s), and is always looking for the latest,
easiest setup. Of all this software, the easiest to use, most
useful, and most reliable has been Maptech 1.0 for DOS. We still have it
and use it occasionally, when our current setup is acting up. (Now we use
Pocket Navigator on an iPaq.)

I've been tempted to write reviews of all this stuff, but I've never
gotten around to it. Since we've started using Pocket Navigator, which
we've been pretty happy with, a lot of the other brands have improved
their software a lot, plus new things have come out. So I'm not really up
to speed on what's come out in the last 3-4 years. I'd like to try some
of the new stuff, but we're happy with what we're using now.

Back to Nobletec, every other user I know has had problems similar
to mine. That's a bunch of folks -- at one point Nobletec had about 50%
market share. To be fair, all the other programs have glitches that
are as annoying as Nobletec's bugs.

I'd really like to see nav software written for something other than
Windows -- Linux, MacOS, etc.

Matt O.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec [email protected] Cruising 38 April 12th 07 02:32 PM
AIS Compatability with Furuno Radars and Nobeltec Admiral already on board [email protected] Electronics 1 January 11th 06 10:33 PM
Nobeltec Radar LarryR Electronics 9 August 31st 05 10:56 PM
Mercury alleges dumping by Japanese mfgs? JB General 2 January 19th 04 01:24 AM
Wow! The Nobeltec chart library now available for Ten Bucks! (Not Spam.) Gould 0738 General 10 October 9th 03 06:52 PM