posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

ive been seeing suse for sometime now.

having any troubles?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

You have gotten good advice on how to disable the call home function
of XP...

As far as I know at this time that call home function on XP will not
disable XP OS functions if you are not hooked to the internet.. It
will likely generate annoying messages ad infinitum... I have chosen
to leave the call home function installed on the multiple machines at
my office as the OS are all registered and the machines have 24/7
internet access... At this point in time it is easier to go along
with Billy than to fight him...

Vista is a different kettle of fish.. If it is not able to tattle on
you it will selectively disable some of the OS.... I have no personal
experience with Vista, only what my vendors tell me.. Given that my
software vendors are showing little interest in dealing with Vista's
crap I am an XP user for the forseeable future..

I just bought an NIB Pentium yesterday, a really nice 2.9 gig HP with
a gig of ram and lots of bells and whistles... While we did not need
it at the moment the price was right and it has XP Pro on board so I
don't have to go throught the agony of unloading Vista and it will
work with our business software...

My retirement boat is under construction right now so in about 6
months I will be deep into installing the navigation equipment... At
that time I will have to survey the landscape and decide what OS to
have on board...

denny
MV 'Levitation', 50' power cat

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

R.W. Behan wrote:
Suggestion: stick with your Nobeltec and DUMP THE ##@&%%*)^ VISTA.

I recently bought a new Dell desktop--with Vista aboard--and spent 2 days
trying to get my old files transferred and everything working. Impossible.
I returned the computer to Dell, admitting the problem was the OS, not the
machine. But they sold me a product I could NOT use, and I said I expected
a full refund. Dell, bless their weird bones, complied.

We're running Maptech gear on our boat, with Windows XP. When its time to
replace the onboard laptop, I'll go with a Mac if I have to in order to
avoid Vista.

I lay this wholly at Microsoft's feet. XP has been working fine. It is
fairly stable, hence reliable. But Microsoft had to pump its profits by
force feeding a new OS on the world at large.

Anyone care to join my one-man boycott?

Dick B.

LNVT "Annie"

wrote in message
news
Or maybe they dumped me? Has anyone else been faced with the problem
that Nobeltec VNS is unusable and downright destructive on a Vista
system-and that Microsoft has forced their vendors to only offer Vista
now on new computers. Nobeltec appears to be unique in the charting
software world by simply refusing to deal with it. Since it finally
bit me, I sent them the email below, although I don't really expect
anything from them. I use charting software for planning and
replanning trips, and had continued to use VNS for many years because
it has most features and I was comfortable with its foibles. Now
forced to go to Plan B. Just a warning to others using VNS.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec "I am a long time user of Nobeltec VNS since
the original Navtrek days. We are currently in Mexico, preparing to go
back to California. Have been using VNS 8 under Windows XP, with only
some minor glitches (like unable to download routes and waypoints from
a Raymarine). Had a computer die, only replacements available run
Vista OS. Nobeltec does not run at all under Vista-most of your
competitors do. Tried installing, got error messages. When I removed
it completely, it took a lot of other (non-Nobeltec) programs with it,
so I had t spend time reconstructing stuff. Ordered a copy of Maptech
Chart Navigator Pro (Vista compatible), which someone will carry from
the states to me. In the interim, using a free program called
SeaClear, which works fine under Vista, processes AIS, but lacks the
planning tools of the majors. Things like OziExplorer, Fugawi, etc.
Also run fine under Vista. Nobeltec abandoned us in Mexico, so time to
find someone else. If you still have your support files, you will find
this is not the first major support issue I have had with Nobeltec.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, ... "

have done already and as i am a small computor tec/reseller
and my wife has a large clientele base as a accountant
we will only purchase xp based machines.
but what i would like to know is can we demand a refund on the vista
software if we convert to XP.....food for thought
shaun

shaun wrote:

have done already and as i am a small computor tec/reseller
and my wife has a large clientele base as a accountant
we will only purchase xp based machines.
but what i would like to know is can we demand a refund on the vista
software if we convert to XP.....food for thought
shaun

Just buy from manufacturer's _BUSINESS_ sites instead of _CONSUMER_. I
just checked and HP still offers Microsoft Windows XP instead of Vista.

--
Kees

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message
Just buy from manufacturer's _BUSINESS_ sites instead of _CONSUMER_. I
just checked and HP still offers Microsoft Windows XP instead of Vista.

--
Kees

Exactly how does one "consume" software, anyway? :-)

Jeff wrote:
* KLC Lewis wrote, On 4/11/2007 12:17 PM:
Just buy from manufacturer's _BUSINESS_ sites instead of _CONSUMER_.

Exactly how does one "consume" software, anyway? :-)

One byte at a time.

Guess this is why floppies were so popular for such a long time, they
digest a lot easier compared to CD's.

My personal favourite nowadays: USB keys, with a little salt and
pepper... Great for the onboard kitchen, load them with recipes at home
then eat at sea!

Jeff wrote:
* KLC Lewis wrote, On 4/11/2007 12:17 PM:
Just buy from manufacturer's _BUSINESS_ sites instead of _CONSUMER_.

Exactly how does one "consume" software, anyway? :-)

One byte at a time.

Guess this is why floppies were so popular for such a long time, they
digest a lot easier compared to CD's.

My personal favourite nowadays: USB keys, with a little salt and pepper...
Great for the onboard kitchen, load them with recipes at home then eat at
sea!

That sounds tasty. Maybe with a little Mouse filet?

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

On Register today:

SlinkySausage writes "Computer makers have been told they'll no longer
be able to get Windows XP OEM by the end of this year, despite strong
ongoing demand for the OS. Analysts and computer makers are wondering
if the move is premature given Vista's ongoing performance and
compatibility issues. Dell recently said it would reintroduce XP on a
range of machines due to customer demand but Microsoft will only allow
this until the end of the year."

On Apr 11, 10:38 am, Kees Verruijt wrote:
shaun wrote:

have done already and as i am a small computor tec/reseller
and my wife has a large clientele base as a accountant
we will only purchase xp based machines.
but what i would like to know is can we demand a refund on the vista
software if we convert to XP.....food for thought
shaun

Just buy from manufacturer's _BUSINESS_ sites instead of _CONSUMER_. I
just checked and HP still offers Microsoft Windows XP instead of Vista.

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

While we're on computers, does anyone have a source for a good USB DVD
player? Since Nobeltec has gone to DVD's only for the charts, I need
to add one.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec [email protected] Cruising 38 April 12th 07 02:32 PM
AIS Compatability with Furuno Radars and Nobeltec Admiral already on board [email protected] Electronics 1 January 11th 06 10:33 PM
Nobeltec Radar LarryR Electronics 9 August 31st 05 10:56 PM
Mercury alleges dumping by Japanese mfgs? JB General 2 January 19th 04 01:24 AM
Wow! The Nobeltec chart library now available for Ten Bucks! (Not Spam.) Gould 0738 General 10 October 9th 03 06:52 PM