posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Two meter troll Two meter troll is offline

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

On Apr 3, 11:45 pm, "R.W. Behan" wrote:
Suggestion: stick with your Nobeltec and DUMP THE ##@&%%*)^ VISTA.

I recently bought a new Dell desktop--with Vista aboard--and spent 2 days
trying to get my old files transferred and everything working. Impossible.
I returned the computer to Dell, admitting the problem was the OS, not the
machine. But they sold me a product I could NOT use, and I said I expected
a full refund. Dell, bless their weird bones, complied.

We're running Maptech gear on our boat, with Windows XP. When its time to
replace the onboard laptop, I'll go with a Mac if I have to in order to
avoid Vista.

I lay this wholly at Microsoft's feet. XP has been working fine. It is
fairly stable, hence reliable. But Microsoft had to pump its profits by
force feeding a new OS on the world at large.

Anyone care to join my one-man boycott?

Dick B.

LNVT "Annie"

wrote in message

news
Or maybe they dumped me? Has anyone else been faced with the problem
that Nobeltec VNS is unusable and downright destructive on a Vista
system-and that Microsoft has forced their vendors to only offer Vista
now on new computers. Nobeltec appears to be unique in the charting
software world by simply refusing to deal with it. Since it finally
bit me, I sent them the email below, although I don't really expect
anything from them. I use charting software for planning and
replanning trips, and had continued to use VNS for many years because
it has most features and I was comfortable with its foibles. Now
forced to go to Plan B. Just a warning to others using VNS.

Why I am dumping Nobeltec "I am a long time user of Nobeltec VNS since
the original Navtrek days. We are currently in Mexico, preparing to go
back to California. Have been using VNS 8 under Windows XP, with only
some minor glitches (like unable to download routes and waypoints from
a Raymarine). Had a computer die, only replacements available run
Vista OS. Nobeltec does not run at all under Vista-most of your
competitors do. Tried installing, got error messages. When I removed
it completely, it took a lot of other (non-Nobeltec) programs with it,
so I had t spend time reconstructing stuff. Ordered a copy of Maptech
Chart Navigator Pro (Vista compatible), which someone will carry from
the states to me. In the interim, using a free program called
SeaClear, which works fine under Vista, processes AIS, but lacks the
planning tools of the majors. Things like OziExplorer, Fugawi, etc.
Also run fine under Vista. Nobeltec abandoned us in Mexico, so time to
find someone else. If you still have your support files, you will find
this is not the first major support issue I have had with Nobeltec.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, ... "

ive been seeing suse for sometime now.