Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

ppc solutions are for home experiments. My Compaq Ipaq lasted for 2 month in
the boat. Then it was dead. And I wasn't (very) sorry. It was to difficult
to read in dayligt due to the glossy screen...

Bjarke

"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 22 fev, 20:08, "Bjarke M. Christensen"
bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote:
Yes I have a 5 inch display as well and it is almost workable with AIS.
However have in mind that portable are typical below 2-3 inch display and
2,5 inch display is only 1/4th of a 5 inch.....

I agree that eTrex with map is useless. By portable I am not talking
for anything smaller than a 276C screen (3.8 "), but preferable,
something like 5-7 " (Origami/UMPC like, why not?).

I do not understand why the resistance to something portable in the
boat. I know that there is more than 2 AIS solutions based on Pocket
PC (PPC) and I found it very very good, and the only restriction
being the lack of weatherproofing in any PPC.

And as I told before, I do not think that a map is necessary for use
with AIS, a radar like diagram or even the classical street like
diagram would be very useful.