posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

Flemming Torp wrote:

"Pascal" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Congratulations amd good luck

Pascal
- Ocultar texto entre aspas -
- Mostrar texto entre aspas -

What does: "- Mostrar texto entre aspas -" mean ...

Guess he'll only tell'ya if you tell him what *skrev i en meddelelse*
means ;-)

--
Kees

"Zeilen is briefjes van honderd verscheuren terwijl je met je kleren aan
onder de douche staat..."

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

SNIP

I am displaying the AIS targets on my PocketPC, which is usually
velcro'd to the navstation next to the chartplotter. I have a
Bluetooth link from the AIS receiver and the NMEA mux which carries
the rest of the nav-data. My Raymarine RL70 and RL80 chartplotters
(now obsolete) don't support AIS, thus the PocketPC.

The PPC, running a program I wrote, has a display (for AIS) that looks
more or less like the NASA "AIS Radar", with no chart overlay. It
still gets pretty crowded, but I can turn off ship name display and
then it is usable during crowded conditions. The PPC calculates CPA,
TCPA, sounds an alarm if appropriate, etc -- all the stuff that I
expect my new chartplotters to do well, on a much larger screen. The
PPC program also shows other nav data, using dials, numeric displays,
etc. I mainly use it as a "black box" to log filtered nav and AIS
data, so I can postprocess it later and remind myself (when I am
programming) of how much I enjoy sailing. I have some interesting (to
me, at least) Google-Earth tracks created from the PPC logfiles,
posted on the VALIS blog: http://www.sailvalis.com/wordpress_1/ . The
most recent posting has the tracks for VALIS and the AIS-equipped
ships heard during the Queen Mary 2 excursion. I use the PPC rather
than a laptop for this in order to keep the power consumption under
control.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm still most enthusiastic about your set up. Being an absolute
"electronic novice", unfortunately, I'll have to buy products in the
market, as I cannot programme or build the components myself. I'm not
sure, I can make myself clear in the following, but I do hope that you
get an idea of what I want (it's close to what you have implemented
yourself ...), but unfortunately I need products available "from the
shelf" ... as my experience in programming is pretty "rusty" and
primarily based on Cobol, Basic and Fortran programming on an IBM 7090
.... if you get the picture ...

I do have a PPC (Win-based), and I would like to add the functionality,
as you have described above ... As I have recently decided to install an
AIS receiver (SR161), and my chartplotter (Raymarine c530+) does not
support AIS, I would like to know whether you know of any software and
hardware products, that can be bought on the market, that will give the
same features and functionality, as you have described above.

My AIS system is not up and running yet, but I'we been adviced to
connect the AIS receiver to my notebook (WinXP) and use the SOB package
on my PC (I have downloaded and tried the SOB package on my laptop, and
it runs fine when using the USB C-Map chart reader, but I don't know yet
whether it will run the same, when the PC is connected to the
chartplotter via the hsb2 interface, i.e. when the charts are put into
the slots of the chartplotter and the PC connected to the c530+).

Is there a way to send - wireless - the content of the PC screen to the
PPC or do I need an application on the PPC as well? I suppose so ...

I understand, you have a blue tooth connection between the AIS receiver
and your PPC. As I'we never played with that, I would need a little help
he What type of equipment - at the AIS receiver and at the PPC - are
you using to make this work?

I also understand you are using your own programme. As this is
completely outside my ability my next question is: Is there a software
package for the PPC available on the market I could use? Is there any
possibility to use/transmit my C-Map charts running on the PC and/or on
the chartplotter (c530+) onto my PPC?

I do also have quite a few electronic BSB compatible charts from
Maptech, but I also understand, that the Maptech applications do not
support AIS ... right? Do you know of an application that runs on the PC
and the PPC, that can use BSB compatible charts *and* use the AIS data
send from the SR161?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm in the very early phase of my
learning curve, and I did find your approach most interesting ...

Best regards

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote in message
k...

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

[...]

For PPC nav-software, you might look at Fugawi
(http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/f...marine_enc.htm) -- They appear to
have good AIS support, but I can't tell if the PDA version is full-featured.
They can use BSB charts. I will look through my files and links, and report
back, but I recall there being several PDA nav-programs with AIS capability.

I have played with lots of PC and PPC nav programs, but since I have my
chartplotter running 24/7 I haven't had to choose one to actually use. I do
use the RayTech navigation software for planning and weather routing, but
neither this or my older Raymarine chartplotter support AIS. My PPC program
started with my desire to have an always-on "black box" data recorder that I
could use to look at long-term performance data. I'm not a serious racer,
but this is fun stuff to play with. As the program evolved, I of course
added bells and whistles (mostly display dials and massaging data into
formats that I prefer). When AIS started to be seriously deployed I added
the AIS features to the PPC program. I would actually prefer that the AIS
capabilities be supported by the chartplotter, and eventually I will install
a new chartplotter which will speak AIS.

Bluetooth is pretty easy. My NMEA data runs through a Shipmodul
MiniPlex42BT (which includes a Bluetooth port), and the PPC has built-in BT,
so the link looks like a serial-port connection. I have an "AirCable"
BT-to-RS232 adaptor plugged into an SR161 AIS receiver, and this connects to
the second BT channel on the PPC. The newest revision of the Miniplex42BT
(which I have just ordered) will let me run everything through the mux, so I
will need to only run one BT link. Meindert has promised to update the
firmware on my old mux, so I will send it in when the new one arrives. I
have another AIS receiver at home, as part of my development / test system
(this is just a hobby), and the extra mux will go there.

I don't know if there is a good way to use the PPC as a remote screen for a
PC-based application. That would be nice, if you wanted to run the PC
full-time. I'm not sure if a BT link could handle the graphics-intensive
applications, but WiFi connection might work well.

I haven't tried to run the chartplotter Cmap charts into the PC via the HSB
connection. I didn't like the mechanics of the HSB adaptor, and I didn't
really need the full cababilities of this, so I am just using the slower
SeaTalk connection. I've got all the serial ports (Seatalk, Pactor Modem,
Iridium Satphone, MiniPlex) running through a four-port Serial-to-USB
adaptor hidden behind the navstation panel, with a single USB connector for
hooking up the laptop. As I have mentioned, the PC is only powered-up for
specific tasks, but spends most of the time shut off.

I swore I wouldn't do this, but if you would like a copy of my PPC program,
I would be happy to send it to you. You just have to promise to not whine
when it crashes, or puts the boat on the rocks, or doesn't have some silly
feature -- oh yeah, and it only speaks english. I encourage you to find an
actual, supported, product, though. I am curious -- what type of PPC do you
have, and what is the screen size (in pixels)?

Regards,
-Paul

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Flemming,

I just looked back at your first posting in this thread, and see that you
want to use a laptop to suppliment the chartplotter's features. You will
find many programs that will read a good variety of charts and handle AIS.
You can also use a software "serial port splitter" to send the NMEA data to
multiple programs, so if you can't find one program that does everything you
like, you can run another one simultaneously. As I mentioned, I haven't
done any serious evaluation of the PC programs.

In case you haven't seen me previously rant on the subject of power
consumption, I will suggest that you do a serious energy audit. This is
important if you plan to be away from shore-power for more than a few days
(unless you have a big power boat with lots of excess power-generating
capability). Look at all your gear -- it's power drain and duty-cycle. Be
realistic about your charging sources, and your battery-bank's ability to
ride through periods of cloud-cover (if using solar panels), etc, etc. A
laptop typically uses a lot of power, so try not to be surprised by what it
takes to keep your boat's electrical system running well. I'm not saying
that a laptop is a bad solution (it may very well be your best solution,
depending on what you want to do), but for me, the power drain of a
continuously-running laptop was enough to push me to my current PocketPC /
laptop / chartplotter hybrid system.

Regards,
Paul

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

SNIP

I swore I wouldn't do this, but if you would like a copy of my PPC
program, I would be happy to send it to you. You just have to promise
to not whine when it crashes, or puts the boat on the rocks, or
doesn't have some silly feature -- oh yeah, and it only speaks
english. I encourage you to find an actual, supported, product,
though. I am curious -- what type of PPC do you have, and what is the
screen size (in pixels)?

Regards,
-Paul

Hi Paul,

It is very kind of you, but I don't think it is an good idea. My level
within this field ("IT-IQ"100) is not sufficient, I'm afraid, and I
would hate bombarding you with silly questions about the installation
and use of your programme. As much as I'm keen on getting an application
like the one you have developped, I would prefer to purchase a
documented system available on the market with hot line supporters, that
are paid to provide service to the customers ... Might be my English is
pretty primitive ... but I do not have severe problems reading English

As to my PPC: Geee ...err ... I don-t know! It is a pretty old and
inexpensive model, and in the beginning I used it in my car running
Navigator. On the back it says: Medion MD2910 ... Model MDPPC 100. The
screen size is 5,5 cm by 7 cm ... ;o) ... In pixels: Sorry, I don't have
the faintest idea, and I don't know where to find this information.

The following is a response to your other mail regarding PPC/laptop/AIS:

So far I have been thinking about using my PC and the flatscreen visible
from the cockpit, only when I "needed" help with the navigation at the
tiller (could be under difficult weather conditions, difficult
navigation, heavy trafic, in fog, at night or the like) ... Normally, I
just use the chartplotter at the navigation table in the cabin and the
paper charts in the cockpit, plus I can alway get my position from the
GPS - may be, I have entered a route, so I can get more information from
the ST60 instruments (XTE, DTW, BTW etc.) visible from the tiller ...

When I was reading about your applicationon and use of the PPC, I was
very inspired, and began to think, whether I could get the same
advantages in my situation ... I know, that the PC and the monitor are
very "hungry for amperes", and they are limited on my boat - even if I
plan to increase the battery capacity (it's a 34' sailboat) ... I fully
agree, with your comment in your other helpful mail about power
consumption: "but for me, the power drain of a continuously-running
laptop was enough to push me to my current PocketPC / laptop /
chartplotter hybrid system." This is exactly my thinking ... The Laptop
is mainly for special situations, but the chartplotter and other
instruments will run most - if not all - of the time when I'm sailing

If I could have the image of the chartplotter - preferably supplemented
by the AIS information right at my hand in the cockpit - I feel that is
something "nice to have" ... I know, the PPC display is not good in
daylight, I know it is very smal, I know it does not like water at all,
I know I may loose it ... but still: I think it could be usefull as a
second source of information, now, that my chartplotter does not support
AIS ... and there is an AIS engine in the mail ...

Unfortunately (in this context), my charts are C-Map and Maptech and
none of my existing applications support AIS: RNS and Offshore
Navigator and the Danish software package. Then Pacal recommended SOB,
that I have tried on my notebook - and it is OK with my C-map charts ...
Time will show, how it will run the AIS application, when I get the gear
.... But SOB does not run on the PPC, as far as I know ... Maptech has an
PPC application ... but no AIS support ... And I'm afraid, I do not have
enough energy to learn one more navigation application ...;o) ... You
could argue, that then I'm not motivated enough ... and that would be a
fair statement ... I do have so many other projects on my boat, that I
would give higher priority ... As far as I can see, the challenge is to
find at package, that will use my existing charts and support AIS on a
windows based PPC ... I have already spent quite a lot of money on
charts, and I find it prohibitive to invest in one more set of charts
only for the PPC for the waters in which I am sailing ...

So, I think, I'm back to square one ... Thank you so much for your help,
Paul. It has been most interesting, and I have learned a lot about this
subject ... and I certainly liked your report on AIS observations with
illustrations from the SF area ... This is exactly he information, I
would like to be able to see from my place at the tiller ...

I will continue to follow this newsgroup. One day, I hope, there will be
a solution, that does not cost a new cockpit monitor/chartplotter ...

Best regards,

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote in message
. ..

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

SNIP

I swore I wouldn't do this, but if you would like a copy of my PPC
program, I would be happy to send it to you

It is very kind of you, but I don't think it is an good idea. My level
within this field ("IT-IQ"100) is not sufficient, I'm afraid, and I would
hate bombarding you with silly questions about the installation and use of
your programme. As much as I'm keen on getting an application like the one
you have developped, I would prefer to purchase a documented system
available on the market with hot line supporters, that are paid to provide
service to the customers ... Might be my English is pretty primitive ...
but I do not have severe problems reading English

I have to think that you've made the proper decision here.

As to my PPC: Geee ...err ... I don-t know! It is a pretty old and
inexpensive model, and in the beginning I used it in my car running
Navigator. On the back it says: Medion MD2910 ... Model MDPPC 100. The
screen size is 5,5 cm by 7 cm ... ;o) ... In pixels: Sorry, I don't have
the faintest idea, and I don't know where to find this information.

No big deal here, I'm just curious as to what is out there in the real
world. I will look your unit up and see what I can find. My PPC has a
640x480 pixel display, and even this is smaller than I would want to use for
viewing charts. It's better than the typical hand-held GPS, though.

The following is a response to your other mail regarding PPC/laptop/AIS:

So far I have been thinking about using my PC and the flatscreen visible
from the cockpit, only when I "needed" help with the navigation at the
tiller (could be under difficult weather conditions, difficult navigation,
heavy trafic, in fog, at night or the like) ... Normally, I just use the
chartplotter at the navigation table in the cabin and the paper charts in
the cockpit, plus I can alway get my position from the GPS - may be, I
have entered a route, so I can get more information from the ST60
instruments (XTE, DTW, BTW etc.) visible from the tiller ...

What I find really useful at the helm is a compass, a chartplotter display
for harbor and other close work, and the radar (displayed on the
chartplotter screen), the autopilot controller, and the depthsounder
display. The rest (speed, and wind) are also good to have at the helm, but
less critical. If I had only one chartplotter I would probably keep it at
the navstation, though, and being visible at the helm through the
companionway would then be a great idea.

When I was reading about your applicationon and use of the PPC, I was very
inspired, and began to think, whether I could get the same advantages in
my situation ... I know, that the PC and the monitor are very "hungry for
amperes", and they are limited on my boat - even if I plan to increase the
battery capacity (it's a 34' sailboat) ... I fully agree, with your
comment in your other helpful mail about power consumption: "but for me,
the power drain of a continuously-running laptop was enough to push me to
my current PocketPC / laptop / chartplotter hybrid system." This is
exactly my thinking ... The Laptop is mainly for special situations, but
the chartplotter and other instruments will run most - if not all - of the
time when I'm sailing

I feel that we are beginning a transition in our nav instruments. I really
prefer the user interface of a dedicated chartplotter (for the chartplotter
and radar functions), like the stability of the chartplotter software (but
the PC stuff keeps improving here), and appreciate the lower power
consumption. The capability, flexibility and upgradability of the PC
solutions are make them extremely attractive, though.

[...]

To quote an ex-president, "I feel your pain." We've got so many options,
and very few "obviously correct" answers. I often become trapped in
"analysis paralysis" -- only to be forced to finally make a decision before
I think I'm ready. In hindsight, it usually works out fine. There is a
saying I like: "Good Enough is Perfect" -- meaning don't waste your time
searching for the ever-elusive perfection. Pick something that works for
you and get on with your life. Occasionally I even follow this advice.

I will continue to follow this newsgroup. One day, I hope, there will be a
solution, that does not cost a new cockpit monitor/chartplotter ...

I hope you keep us informed about your progress. I quite enjoy these
discussions, as I usually learn something, and they help me clarify my own
thinking.

Regards,
Paul

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark skrev i en meddelelse
. ..

Hello Pascal and Meindert,

Thank you again for your advice and assistance.
For your information, I have today ordered a SR161 AIS receiver with
antenna-splitter, the special AIS-GPS cable and a small antenna from
MillTechMarine ... Without your support, I would still be surfing the
Internet for a solution ...

SNIP

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

Hello again - mainly to Pascal, Meindert, and Paul!

This is just a kind of "thank you for your support message".

The equipment ordered from Milltech arrived in good order. It did not
work from my home. Anyway, I got the mast back in place a couple of
weeks ago - and downloaded the Australian SW package - SOB and followed
the installation procedure from Milltech ...

Everything works fine ... From my boat (in its place in the marina close
to the old castle - 'Kronborg'), I can spot between 20 and 30 ships -
including the ferries "racing" East-West between Sweden and Denmark. I'm
impressed.

Thank you guys for your help. Highly appreciated!

--
Flemming Torp
Gimle/DEN-61

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote in message
. ..
Hello again - mainly to Pascal, Meindert, and Paul!

This is just a kind of "thank you for your support message".

You're welcome!

Meindert