posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

Anybody knows one? I am using a non portable solution: SR161 + Laptop
+ GpsMap 276C. I would like to have a gps/plotter portable (or
handheld), WeatherProof and useable in the cockpit. I have asked
Garmin to give the AIS receiver supprt on the GpsMap 276C but after
waiting 2 years I have quit.

Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Why don't you buy two serial to blue tooth adapters (cable replacement) from
Aircable, set them to 38400 baud for transmission of AIS data to your chart
plotter. Keep your AIS receiver with VHF antenna connection inside and chart
plotter in cockpit. The small bt-module is easy to water-proof for use in
the cockpit.
plano

"Pascal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody knows one? I am using a non portable solution: SR161 + Laptop
+ GpsMap 276C. I would like to have a gps/plotter portable (or
handheld), WeatherProof and useable in the cockpit. I have asked
Garmin to give the AIS receiver supprt on the GpsMap 276C but after
waiting 2 years I have quit.

Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thank You for the good idea, I have made a look in the AirCable site
and seems a good way to eliminate cables, but prior to use this, I
must have an AIS enabled Gps/plotter, which is what I am looking for
at the moment.

Regards

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank You for the good idea, I have made a look in the AirCable site
and seems a good way to eliminate cables, but prior to use this, I
must have an AIS enabled Gps/plotter, which is what I am looking for
at the moment.

Regards

Pascal

2that come to mind
Raymarine C-series, Standard Horizon CP175-C .........
plano

posted to rec.boats.electronics

plano wrote:
"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank You for the good idea, I have made a look in the AirCable site
and seems a good way to eliminate cables, but prior to use this, I
must have an AIS enabled Gps/plotter, which is what I am looking for
at the moment.

Regards

Pascal

2that come to mind
Raymarine C-series, Standard Horizon CP175-C .........
plano

I'm sure Pascal's glad you didn't mention Garmin ;-)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Ok, but as I have said, I want a "Portable" unit.. I know that there
are many models of gps/ploters that are AIS enabled, like those more
recent units from Garmin, Navman, Raymarine, etc but none of them are
"portable" (that is, battery operated and easily removable to be used
in another boat and at home).

Of course, the ideal for me would be a portable or handheld unit wicth
would be a combined "Gps-Plotter-AISReceiver" all in one, but in lack
of integrated AIS, the unit could be at last AIS Ready, using a
external AIS Receiver, preferentially, with integrated Bluetooth.

The classical "Nasa AIS Radar" was a very good idea, since in reality,
we really do not need a chartplotter, but it is not portable and not
weather proof to be used in the cockpit.

Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Pascal" wrote in news:1172160465.780416.309310
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I know that there
are many models of gps/ploters that are AIS enabled,

That all sounds good until you look at what comes out of the AIS at
38,800 baud RS-232 level data....then look at the GPS/Plotters plodding
along on RS-422 (NMEA-0183 isn't RS-232C compatible) at 4800 baud.....

Wrong baud rate, wrong voltage levels, INCOMPATIBLE AS USUAL....

"AIS Enabled" just means they'll read an AIS statement IF IT COMES IN AT
NMEA'S slow baud rate with the rest of the NMEA data. You can't just
plug them in, of course.

On Lionheart, our current configuration is an SR-161 receiver feeding a
Radio Shack RS-232C serial to USB interface cable ($10) plugged into a
USB port on the Dell Latitude notebook running the accompanying virtual
serial port software so The Cap'n nav software can find the 38,800 baud
data stream on what it thinks is a serial port. NMEA system data comes
in on another virtual serial port from my wireless router on the NMEA
system.

The Cap'n regurgitates the AIS data statements at 4800 baud to the NMEA
system so it will show up on any instruments capable of reading it.
SOME, not all, models of Raymarine and Garmin are capable of reading it
from the NMEA stream IF you upgrade their firmware or buy something new.
Currently, seeing the ships on the computer display chart is fine...(c;

I want to add another Webfoot RS-232C to Ethernet adapter to our Wireless
system. When I get that installed, I'm going to feed it the AIS data
from the SR-161 receiver. Being on a separate hard-wired Ethernet
address on our LAN, I'll be able to connect to its LAN IP address with
the second virtual serial port driver that comes with the Webfoot and can
eliminate the current Radio Shack hard-wired USB connection AIS is
attached to......making both NMEA at 4800 baud and AIS at 38,800 baud
available to The Cap'n WIRELESSLY so it will run anywhere on the
boat...or even at the yacht club bar if we dock the boat at the club...
(c;

NMEA out/in 1 4800 baud--Webfoot 1--Netgear wireless router port 1|

AIS SR-161-38.6Kbaud-----Webfoot 2--Netgear wireless router port 2|

RF-wifi radio link--------------|

RF-Wifi radio in laptop-|-Virtual serial COM2--The Cap'n NMEA in

|-Virtual serial COM3--The Cap'n AIS in

Larry
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEJmc...elated&search=
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Does it make sense ??

It's hard enough already to read the disply on portable units. Adding AIS
data on top will just make it totally unreadable. You might be able to read
at home, in good light and with you glasses on, but in the boat, dark,
raining and in a "windy and critical" situation, you wouldn't be able to see
anything ....

Bjarke

"Pascal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody knows one? I am using a non portable solution: SR161 + Laptop
+ GpsMap 276C. I would like to have a gps/plotter portable (or
handheld), WeatherProof and useable in the cockpit. I have asked
Garmin to give the AIS receiver supprt on the GpsMap 276C but after
waiting 2 years I have quit.

Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Well Bjarke,

I have seen the AIS data on a Garmin GpsMap 3205 and I reputed the 5"
size very good. Course that the display of targets on a RayMarine C80
I had seen too, is better. All wil depend on the zoom level you set
the unit, and I think that in regions with no very heavy traffic like
here, if it will show about 10 targets at the 5 nm range, this will be
very visible.

Anyway, in a critical situation, I could reduce the chart detail on
the plotter (declutter) and the best thing will be to hear the alarm
and see the ship name, course, speed etc. I have used Ais in my
Notebook with SeaClear and ShipPlotter and it is fine, the problem is
the size of the laptop, the current drain, the mess of cables etc. And
what I want is to have all this information at the helm, not below at
the nav table.

Regards

Pascal

On 22 fev, 16:47, "Bjarke M. Christensen"
bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote:
Does it make sense ??

It's hard enough already to read the disply on portable units. Adding AIS
data on top will just make it totally unreadable. You might be able to read
at home, in good light and with you glasses on, but in the boat, dark,
raining and in a "windy and critical" situation, you wouldn't be able to see
anything ....

Bjarke

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

Does it make sense ??

None of the receivers make any sense, actually. They don't tell "THEM",
up there on the bridge 200' above the sea and 150' above your mast, that
you are THERE and going THIS WAY. No alarms go off as they STILL CAN'T
SEE YOU! So, none of these receivers make any sense.

What DOES make sense is for a boat TRANSPONDER to make YOU a target on
THEIR plotter to be reckoned with. You would set off the alarm long
before you were pushed under the bow waves and into the screws. He
wouldn't have to try to "see" you down below the level of the containers
piled high on the deck in front of him for 950 feet. He could "see" you,
who you are, WHAT YOUR BOAT NAME AND CALLSIGN IS, where you're headed,
your course and speed, right on his automatic plotting board. Armed with
this information, he'd CALL YOU on VHF to warn you to get the hell out of
his way.

Until we bleed all the big yachts for thousands and thousands of dollars
http://store.milltechmarine.com/acrglaistr.html
and allow the Chinese electronics companies to send TRANSPONDERS to the
yachtie countries, like the USA and Danmark, that don't cost any more
than any other overpriced VHF radio at some marine electronics
shop.....you won't be a target on his plotter and be on your own.

Pity.....

Larry
--
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTR...61&Location=U2