posted to rec.boats.electronics
plano plano is offline

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
message ...
Does it make sense ??

It's hard enough already to read the disply on portable units. Adding AIS
data on top will just make it totally unreadable. You might be able to

read
at home, in good light and with you glasses on, but in the boat, dark,
raining and in a "windy and critical" situation, you wouldn't be able to

see
anything ....

Bjarke

Totally agreed, but what is "portable"? I don't think that there should be
any "portable" electronics on a boat. In heavy weather they become missiles
or are lost overboard. I cringe when I hear people talk about laptops that
can be used "anywhere" on the boat. They should be bolted to the chart
table, and by bolted I don't mean kept in place by a piece of shockcord.
plano

"Pascal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody knows one? I am using a non portable solution: SR161 + Laptop
+ GpsMap 276C. I would like to have a gps/plotter portable (or
handheld), WeatherProof and useable in the cockpit. I have asked
Garmin to give the AIS receiver supprt on the GpsMap 276C but after
waiting 2 years I have quit.

Thanks

Pascal