posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

Yes I have a 5 inch display as well and it is almost workable with AIS.
However have in mind that portable are typical below 2-3 inch display and a
2,5 inch display is only 1/4th of a 5 inch.....

I got an eTrex with map support. It's worthless .... Screen is far to small
for anything. Portable gps's should telle you yor position and cource to
next wpt.

Bjarke

"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well Bjarke,

I have seen the AIS data on a Garmin GpsMap 3205 and I reputed the 5"
size very good. Course that the display of targets on a RayMarine C80
I had seen too, is better. All wil depend on the zoom level you set
the unit, and I think that in regions with no very heavy traffic like
here, if it will show about 10 targets at the 5 nm range, this will be
very visible.

Anyway, in a critical situation, I could reduce the chart detail on
the plotter (declutter) and the best thing will be to hear the alarm
and see the ship name, course, speed etc. I have used Ais in my
Notebook with SeaClear and ShipPlotter and it is fine, the problem is
the size of the laptop, the current drain, the mess of cables etc. And
what I want is to have all this information at the helm, not below at
the nav table.

Regards

Pascal

On 22 fev, 16:47, "Bjarke M. Christensen"
bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote:
Does it make sense ??

It's hard enough already to read the disply on portable units. Adding AIS
data on top will just make it totally unreadable. You might be able to
read
at home, in good light and with you glasses on, but in the boat, dark,
raining and in a "windy and critical" situation, you wouldn't be able to
see
anything ....

Bjarke