posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default cheap radar signal generators

Hello there,

I got thru friends some FURUNO ships radar (scanner units : model 1720,
type RSB 0067, type RSB 0055 ,serial 303-1670, a model FR 305DA) &
KODEN GS 930 & MRT 119.
I want to use them as easy 10Ghz microwaves transmitters.... for
homemade radar detectors improvement (don't want to go to the docks &
finding radars signals to improve my kits)
But I do not know how to connect them the way I need, having the
antenna turning is piece of cake, but, for transmission mode, I
suppose these units would need much more volts & amps to drive their
magnetrons
The KODEN scanners show some basics label: +12,+5,+35V,+5~35V , FURUNO
show no info...
So, I understand the trick is to feed some +12 & +35V to the right
connectors to have my microwaves Xmitter, I am right ?

Thank you.

Patrick

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Yep... I've been warned about microwaves energy as I regularly work on
microwaves ovens.
Well, my idea was to remote-control one of these unit placed in the
backyard, at a "safe" distance

Thank you

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Your playing with fire, if misused you don't know what those units can
potential emit, where 100 feet might not be a safe distance, and when
you think it's working ... is it really?

For the added cost, it would be very much worth while to mate the
scanner to a display following the installation instructions (available
on line in most cases), then you will be sure the scanner is being
driven at the appropriately output level to be a valid test for your
kit, and you can verify the operation of the radar (by looking at the
display), play with various radar settings (e.g. tuning low through
high in the x-band), by following the instructions have a much safer
situation for yourself, and as a bonus providing power is as simply as
using a car battery.

.... and if this is to much work, then there is still the original
option of going down to the marina.

IMHO

wrote:
Yep... I've been warned about microwaves energy as I regularly work on
microwaves ovens.
Well, my idea was to remote-control one of these unit placed in the
backyard, at a "safe" distance

Thank you

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Just another note here. First, operating an Xband Marine Radar on Land,
is a violation of 47 CFR Part80, simply because you don't have a Station
License from the FCC if you are in the USA, or from just about any other
Governing Bodies Territory.
Second, if you are in the USA, you would need a General RadioTelephone
Operator License with Radar Endorsment, just to legally take the covers
off, and mess around with the circuitry.
Third, You will need a lot more than just the Power Supply Voltages
to get ANY of these Antenna Units to actually Transmit an XBand
signal.

With all that said, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about "Cooking"
yourself, or any of that BS, because unless you take your Eye,
and look right down the Waveguide Flange of any of the T/R Pans
inside the Antenna Units, while they are Emitting, the Power Density
of ALL the above named units, isn't enough to cause any serious
Physical Harm, once the RF has transitted the Rotory Joint, and
been disperced along the antennas Slotline Feed. You are much more
likely to be injured by the Rotaing Antenna hitting you in the Head.

Bruce in alaska a longtime Marine Electronics Guru..........
--
add a 2 before @

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

You are much more
likely to be injured by the Rotaing Antenna hitting you in the Head.

Clobbered by a piece of printed circuit board? Oh, never mind. You're
talking about REAL radars, not Raymarines....(c;

You CAN get it to burn the end of your finger from the little dipoles in
the phased circuit board antenna...

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Somebody should tell these storm chaser you can not use marine radar on
land http://www.tornadochaser.com/2000chaseveh.htm

this one is a TV station.
http://www.honda-acura.net/index.php..._articleid=101
you would think they would follow FCC rules

Also, I thought when the FCC did away with needing a license for marine
VHF that included marine radar as well.

read the section
WHAT RADIO EQUIPMENT MAY I USE?
http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html#SEC3

Paul

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

"Paul" wrote in news:1167855436.291822.69060
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html#SEC3

"On April 17, 1996, the U.S. Coast Guard suspended enforcement activities
concerning FCC Radio Station Licenses carried aboard voluntary ships."

In other words....they don't care.....

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip
http://www.verichipcorp.com/
Tracked like a dog, every license/product/tax.
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor,
free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their
foreheads:
17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the
name of the beast, or the number of his name...

posted to rec.boats.electronics

From what i understand, youd be in some real trouble operating these units.
I live in australia, and im pretty sure that its illegal to operate these
types of radar within a certain range of people (its pretty much a guarantee
that someone will kick you in the throat if they see it turning at dock).
Being underneath it protect the people on the vessel, but everyone else is
getting a generous serving of nastiness.

Shaun

The KODEN scanners show some basics label: +12,+5,+35V,+5~35V , FURUNO
show no info...
So, I understand the trick is to feed some +12 & +35V to the right
connectors to have my microwaves Xmitter, I am right ?

Thank you.

Patrick

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in news:BN%mh.1085
:

(its pretty much a guarantee
that someone will kick you in the throat if they see it turning at dock).

Wow! Tough marina!....(c;

radar questions luc Electronics 36 November 20th 06 12:26 AM
problem with simrad radar - or mount... flying sailor Electronics 10 October 13th 06 12:53 PM
Radar Reflectors - Test, links and info Mic Cruising 0 September 7th 05 06:19 PM
Radar vs GPS/Sounder Lloyd Sumpter Cruising 98 December 23rd 03 11:42 AM
Radar and Basic Nav. Bobsprit ASA 97 September 5th 03 06:48 PM