posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default cheap radar signal generators

In article .com,
wrote:

Hello there,

I got thru friends some FURUNO ships radar (scanner units : model 1720,
type RSB 0067, type RSB 0055 ,serial 303-1670, a model FR 305DA) &
KODEN GS 930 & MRT 119.
I want to use them as easy 10Ghz microwaves transmitters.... for
homemade radar detectors improvement (don't want to go to the docks &
finding radars signals to improve my kits)
But I do not know how to connect them the way I need, having the
antenna turning is piece of cake, but, for transmission mode, I
suppose these units would need much more volts & amps to drive their
magnetrons
The KODEN scanners show some basics label: +12,+5,+35V,+5~35V , FURUNO
show no info...
So, I understand the trick is to feed some +12 & +35V to the right
connectors to have my microwaves Xmitter, I am right ?

Thank you.

Patrick

Just another note here. First, operating an Xband Marine Radar on Land,
is a violation of 47 CFR Part80, simply because you don't have a Station
License from the FCC if you are in the USA, or from just about any other
Governing Bodies Territory.
Second, if you are in the USA, you would need a General RadioTelephone
Operator License with Radar Endorsment, just to legally take the covers
off, and mess around with the circuitry.
Third, You will need a lot more than just the Power Supply Voltages
to get ANY of these Antenna Units to actually Transmit an XBand
signal.

With all that said, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about "Cooking"
yourself, or any of that BS, because unless you take your Eye,
and look right down the Waveguide Flange of any of the T/R Pans
inside the Antenna Units, while they are Emitting, the Power Density
of ALL the above named units, isn't enough to cause any serious
Physical Harm, once the RF has transitted the Rotory Joint, and
been disperced along the antennas Slotline Feed. You are much more
likely to be injured by the Rotaing Antenna hitting you in the Head.

Bruce in alaska a longtime Marine Electronics Guru..........
--
add a 2 before @