Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

Default What speakers will fit in a Boat arch

Somehow I'm guessing this question might better asked in the
rec.boats.electronics newsgroup instead of here.

Various audio makers offer speakers designed for the marine environment. I
would NOT put Russound speakers into that environment. For several reasons,
one being they're not designed to withstand marine exposure, but also
because they're overkill. The fidelity requirements you've got in a boat
are, shall we say, "less" than what you'd want on a deck or in your home.
Don't bother putting fancier speakers in your boat, it's just wasting money.
Get ones designed to survive the exposure. I've got Clarion speakers in our
boat's arch. It's a 34' Four Winns, similar to your Cruisers.

Another point to consider is amplification. Arch speakers usually need more
power than what most head units (the radio) puts out. If you add new
speakers you'd probably need an amp. So if you don't have an amp now, get
one and see how it drives the existing speakers. You may be surprised
there's still some life left in them. But nevermind if you're already
driving them with an amp (provided it's got enough power itself).

Ask in some boating forums instead of here. One good place is
http://www.thehullthruth.com

-Bill Kearney

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 30 foot Cruisers Rogue 3000 boat and need to get some extra
speaker coverage outside as the two small 6inch speakers aren't
handling the job. I can only assume that the padding in the arch was
initially made for speakers. the problem i'm having is that I have no
idea what size or where to find the speakers that will fit in this?

Here's a link to a picture of the arch

http://workoutsupplies.net/arch.jpg