posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

Default What speakers will fit in a Boat arch

Somehow I'm guessing this question might better asked in the
rec.boats.electronics newsgroup instead of here.

Various audio makers offer speakers designed for the marine environment. I
would NOT put Russound speakers into that environment. For several reasons,
one being they're not designed to withstand marine exposure, but also
because they're overkill. The fidelity requirements you've got in a boat
are, shall we say, "less" than what you'd want on a deck or in your home.
Don't bother putting fancier speakers in your boat, it's just wasting money.
Get ones designed to survive the exposure. I've got Clarion speakers in our
boat's arch. It's a 34' Four Winns, similar to your Cruisers.

Another point to consider is amplification. Arch speakers usually need more
power than what most head units (the radio) puts out. If you add new
speakers you'd probably need an amp. So if you don't have an amp now, get
one and see how it drives the existing speakers. You may be surprised
there's still some life left in them. But nevermind if you're already
driving them with an amp (provided it's got enough power itself).

Ask in some boating forums instead of here. One good place is
http://www.thehullthruth.com

-Bill Kearney

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 30 foot Cruisers Rogue 3000 boat and need to get some extra
speaker coverage outside as the two small 6inch speakers aren't
handling the job. I can only assume that the padding in the arch was
initially made for speakers. the problem i'm having is that I have no
idea what size or where to find the speakers that will fit in this?

Here's a link to a picture of the arch

http://workoutsupplies.net/arch.jpg

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a 30 foot Cruisers Rogue 3000 boat and need to get some extra
speaker coverage outside as the two small 6inch speakers aren't
handling the job. I can only assume that the padding in the arch was
initially made for speakers. the problem i'm having is that I have no
idea what size or where to find the speakers that will fit in this?

Here's a link to a picture of the arch

http://workoutsupplies.net/arch.jpg

Thank you Bill for an honest answer without sales hype. The Russound
speakers Robert referred to though are designed for "anything" you can
dish out (at least according to the link he provided).

In article , "Bill Kearney" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a 30 foot Cruisers Rogue 3000 boat and need to get some extra
speaker coverage outside as the two small 6inch speakers aren't
handling the job. I can only assume that the padding in the arch was
initially made for speakers. the problem i'm having is that I have no
idea what size or where to find the speakers that will fit in this?

Here's a link to a picture of the arch

http://workoutsupplies.net/arch.jpg

Any "good" car audio shop should be able to handle that request
installing gear. They also have thin speakers used in narrow places.
All the speaker needs is to be waterproof in the front. A solid polypropelene
surface is waterproof, and a better driver will have rubber surrounds.
You then need at least tweeters also installed nearby. They can be
mounted surface mount or cut into the arch. This is all great,
but you can't get bass out of an arch. A subwoofer would be
installed somewhere. If you can't hear a sound from out and about, thats
about using the right sized drivers to get the coverage you need and crossovers, and using
more drivers to get more sound in other areas. Its all very simple, but not
simple to properly install. And yes, at least one 100 watt per channel
amp is a good starting point.

greg
posted to rec.boats.electronics,comp.home.automation

Bill Bearney wrote:
Somehow I'm guessing this question might better asked in the
rec.boats.electronics newsgroup instead of here.

Various audio makers offer speakers designed for the marine environment. I
would NOT put Russound speakers into that environment. For several reasons,
one being they're not designed to withstand marine exposure, but also
because they're overkill.

just because you don't like bAss is no reason to mislead the OP. did
you even look at the link he provided? please keep your anti bAss
rhetoric off usenet. now go kick your cat instead.

Bill Kearney wrote:
"Frank Olson" wrote in message

Thank you Bill for an honest answer without sales hype. The Russound
speakers Robert referred to though are designed for "anything" you can
dish out (at least according to the link he provided).

Ugh, keep your stalker replies outta the boat groups, please.

Who appointed you "Groupie Muderator"? :-)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I would NOT put Russound speakers into that environment...

The manufacturer disagrees with you, Bill. The following is from their write-up on Outback series speakers:

"... OutBack Two-Way indoor / outdoor
speakers provide rugged, versatile, weatherproof,
high-quality sound anywhere. OutBack speakers
are engineered with water-resistant, weather-tight
cabinets, and feature specially-selected drivers
capable of withstanding rain, snow, heat, salt
water and the sun's UV rays..."

These are indeed marine grade speakers. I recommended them because I've also listened to them and they sound very good.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================
Bass Home Electronics
941-866-1100
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Well, I have a powerboat. I also have Russound speakers, at home both
inside and out. Having seen their construction and also having seen the
various styles of speakers put into boats I'll stick with my observations.
What a manufacturer, or their sales agent, might claim doesn't really hold
much water compared to experience. (pun intended)

Then there's the question of fidelity and suitability of them in a boat's
radar arch. A boat's cockpit is not a situation known for it's acoustics.
It'd sum up as a 'waste' to put those speakers in that installation if you
used fidelity as a guide. Sure, you COULD, but then you'd get into the
durability question. A powerboat isn't just harsh from a moisture
perspective, there's also vibration.

As one boat owner to another I wouldn't recommend those speakers for the
situation the original poster suggested.

But hey, sell it all you like.

-Bill Kearney

. ..

In article , "Robert L Bass" sales@bassburglaralarms wrote:
I would NOT put Russound speakers into that environment...

The manufacturer disagrees with you, Bill. The following is from their
write-up on Outback series speakers:

"... OutBack Two-Way indoor / outdoor
speakers provide rugged, versatile, weatherproof,
high-quality sound anywhere. OutBack speakers
are engineered with water-resistant, weather-tight
cabinets, and feature specially-selected drivers
capable of withstanding rain, snow, heat, salt
water and the sun's UV rays..."

These are indeed marine grade speakers. I recommended them because I've also
listened to them and they sound very good.

I can't imagine fitting those into the arch. Ported speakers
are not the best for a marine invironment. You also
need 4 ohm drivers for mobile audio. Home audio speakers are also
inefficient for mobile work,.Most speakers made today are waterproof
from the front side.

greg