Default A boat likely to be of interest

Here's the result of my workday on Friday. :-)

Warning; the following material describes a new boat being offered for
sale, so anybody easily offended by mentions of specific brand names,
etc, in the group is invited to click to the next thread. Thanks.

Split Personality

We spent a glorious August morning out on Lake Union and Lake
Washington in Crownline's largest boat, the new 2007 315 SCR Sport
Cruiser. Crownline continues to pleasantly surprise the boating
industry, and it looks like the company has done it yet again. We had
to conclude that Crownline has discovered the secret of putting two
entirely different boats onto the same physical keel. The 315 SCR
manages to be a well-appointed express cruiser large enough to sleep
4-6 (and "party" several more) in memorable comfort and luxury.
It's also a "Yeehaw!" speedboat that handles incredibly well and
will reach speeds of over 50 mph with a pair of relatively economical
small block V-8's.

Like all Crownline boats, the 315 SCR is impressively styled and
carefully assembled.
Crownline marked its 15th anniversary in 2006, and shipped the 50,000th
Crownline boat last April. Examining a bit of the Crownline boat
building process helps one appreciate why this independent, family
owned company is getting such rave reviews from satisfied owners and is
now considered fully competitive with some of the most elite names in
the industry.

Crownline believes that a perfect fiberglass boat begins with a perfect
wooden plug. Many manufacturers have switched to more cheaply and
quickly turned out foam plugs, but Crownline continues to use wood. The
plugs are covered with tooling gel and polished to a mirror finish
before being used to create a master mold.

It isn't at all uncommon to drive by a boat factory and see molds
sitting out in the weather. Crownline molds are stored indoors, in a
climate-controlled "mold maintenance" facility. Each mold
represents an enormous investment in engineering and design, and no
boat builder can produce a fiberglass hull that is more accurate than
the originating mold. Crownline molds are pampered like thoroughbred
racehorses, with each mold frequently stripped and rewaxed between
uses.

Crownline is known for sporting a strong "Wow!" factor. The smooth
exterior finishes and eye-popping color schemes result from some
deliberate choices and practices in the finish booth. Cook's gelcoat
is used for the basic color, and Armorcoat (tm) for accent colors. Each
color of gelcoat is applied through its own dedicated spray gun to
assure color integrity. Many boat builders apply gelcoat 20-25 mil
thick, and this will "dry down" to 15-17 mils. Crownline uses 25-30
mil applications of gelcoat that dry down to 22 mils. All hulls are
allowed a minimum of 60 minutes "set-up" time before the lamination
process begins, and some receive several hours. Many manufacturers
would take the "time is money" approach and not allow the gelcoat
as much time to stabilize prior to lamination.

When lamination begins, Crownline begins with a vinylester barrier
coat, which is applied and allowed to cure for 30 minutes. The
vinylester is followed by 100 mils of hand rolled fiberglass and a
sprayed on core, with 45 minutes cure time allowed before the bulk of
the hull is laid in.

Crownline utilizes a pre-assembled wood grid stringer system, crafted
to micro tolerances and completely encapsulated in hand-rolled
fiberglass. Crownline prefers to use wooden stringers rather than
fiberglass based on its research showing that wood provides the best
combination of rigidity and flexibility, and avoids an overly stiff
hull bottom that could ride more noisily and/or create unneeded stress
on joints that could lead to future cracking. The XL treated wood
members have a lifetime warranty against rot. Once the stringers are in
place, Crownline installs a complete, one-piece, molded fiberglass
inner liner to create the floor of the boat (including the lockers and
bilge).

While it is typical practice for a boat builder to install the engine
in a boat and then ship the outdrive to the dealer in a separate box,
Crownline boats leave the factory with engines installed and fully
aligned, as well as with the outdrive installed. This allows Crownline
to be certain that this critical portion of the assembly process will
be completed by a certified and competent technician, rather than a
possibly under-qualified worker at an individual dealer's rigging
shop.

All carpeting, upholstery, and canvas used on a Crownline are top
quality. Fittings are sturdy and stainless. It would be a shame to
finish out such a carefully constructed hull with anything that was in
any way substandard, and Crownline carries its commitment to quality
through to the smallest details.

General Description and Layout:

Rick English of Sport Boat Northwest was our host for the morning, and
his genuine enthusiasm for the 315 SCR was evident as he showed us
through the vessel. We began by checking out the large locker under the
sunpad, located immediately forward of the integral swim platform. The
locker cover, with the added weight of the sunpad upholstery, was held
easily in place by two stainless steel (not plastic) struts. "You
could put all of your fenders in here," remarked Rick, "or if you
were a diver you could store tanks back here. There is a drain plug in
the bottom of the locker, so it could even be filled with ice to keep
beverages cold or just a general purpose ice chest." We noted the
stereo radio controls on the port side of the boat and Rick commented,
"We set this boat up so that this large, open area around the sunpad
can be a social center when anchored out." The portable cockpit table
and leg are stowed under the locker cover, but the storage area is so
large that they seem to almost take up no room at all.

We noticed three shorepower fittings recessed into the port gunwale aft
of the port side transom door. When we commented that we thought that
was a lot of shorepower for a
32-foot boat, we learned that the Sport Cruiser 315 SCR in stock at
Sport Boat Northwest is equipped with an optional 110-volt heating and
air conditioning system! To keep power available when the boat is
underway; Crownline included a 7.3 kW generator.
Rick activated a switch at the helm and energized the hydraulic ram
that raised the aft section of the cockpit to expose the engine
compartment. Our test boat was fit with a pair of Mercruiser 350 MPI
Horizon Bravo III's. This pair of engines is rated at 600 HP, and
larger engines are available. Choosing either the optional 8.1L Volvo
GXI Duo-prop or the optional Mercruiser 496 Magnum would make a total
of 750 HP available, (but based on the results we were about to achieve
with the 350's, I can't personally imagine what one would do with
another 150 HP). Diesel engine enthusiasts can order a new 315 SCR with
4.2L Mercruiser D-Tronic engines.

Additional cockpit seating consists of a forward-facing settee at the
front of the engine cowl and sunpad, an aft facing settee immediately
abaft the double pilot seat, and a lounge seat in the port forequarter
of the cockpit. Stowage lockers similar to the area under the sunpad
can be found under the forward and aft facing settees. There are
swing-away transom doors to both port and starboard, and a jump seat as
well as the portable cockpit table can be set in place just inside the
starboard transom door to create additional options when entertaining.

A beverage bar with sink is situated just forward of the port transom
door. The faucet is cleverly designed to fold into the sink, which can
then be covered with a Karadon (tm) plug to create a larger countertop
area when the sink is not needed. Like most boat builders, Crownline
includes a series of carefully placed beverage holders throughout the
cockpit. Unlike most builders, Crownline's beverage holders are
stainless steel, not plastic.

The ergonomically designed helm features two full sets of analog gauges
set into a sweeping console. Controls are all well marked and easily
reached, and there is a thoughtful armrest just aft of the pair of
single lever engine controls. Rick pointed out that the test boat was
equipped with the optional wooden steering wheel.

The foredeck is easily accessed from the cockpit by closing the
companionway door to the areas below deck. The door has a set of steps
molded onto the cockpit side, and the center portion of the stainless
steel windshield swings away to provide a safe, step-through route to
the foredeck. The foredeck has a sporty, low profile stainless safety
rail and one of the "grippiest" non-skid surfaces anyone could ever
hope to find.

We checked out the interior before getting underway. "There's a
full six feet of headroom in the head and in the cabin areas where you
would stand up rather than sit around the table," remarked Rick. He
was absolutely right, as my 5'11" frame had a little breathing room
below the headliner. The galley is separated into two work areas aft of
a large table in the forward portion of the cabin. "Having two galley
areas is a wonderful idea," observed Rick. "A lot of times when you
are entertaining aboard, one of the guests will almost insist on
helping prepare the food or beverages and if there's only one work
area people start to get into the way. Having two separated work
stations allows two people to help prepare a meal or a snack."

The main seating area around the table in the main cabin will
accommodate 6-8 people without crowding, and there is an optional flat
screen color TV on the forward bulkhead for entertainment. The table
area knocks down quickly to create a sleeping area, but if there is
only one couple spending the night aboard there is no need to touch it
at all. A huge "midcabin" berth with a privacy curtain is entered
just aft of the port side galley area, creating a cozy and comfortable
nocturnal retreat.

A fully appointed head is situated in the aft starboard quarter of the
main cabin.

Our test boat was equipped with a radar arch, and a full canvas
enclosure that, (combined with the heat and AC system), makes the
Crownline 315 SCR an "all-weather" boat here in the Pacific NW. We
ran with just the "bimini" portions of the top in place, and
managed to look stylish while protecting the upholstery (as well as a
magazine writer's bald spot) from the August sunshine.

Underway:

The Crownline 315 SCR idled patiently through the 7-knot speed zones on
Lake Union, Portage Bay, and the Montlake Reach. When we reached
Webster Point, Rick told me it was OK to open her up, and we
immediately unleashed a zephyr.

Crownline uses a proprietary F.A.S.Tab. (tm) (Crownline defines it
differently, but the initials could easily stand for "Fun And
Safe") hull architecture with a patented design for its strakes and
vented chine. The company insists that the hull design helps Crownline
get onto plane more efficiently and handle better in the corners, and
based on our experience we have to say the F.A.S.Tab hull absolutely
works as represented.

Without any use of the trim tabs, there was a moment of bow rise as the
Crownline 315 stepped over its own bow wave and got up to plane.
However, long before we got into even the lower portions of the speed
curve the Crownline was so far up on step it was almost like we were
hovering above the water. Somewhere between "Oh my gosh!" and
"Yeehaw!" I looked back to check our wake and found that it could
almost be more accurately described as a major ripple. Even with ¾ of
a tank of fuel aboard, we were as airborne as a boat gets without
falling into the hydroplane class. Using the speedometer on the
dashboard of the Crownline 315, we observed speeds of about 35 mph at
an easily sustainable cruise RPM of 3500. "You can go ahead and take
her up to WOT, just briefly," said Rick, and he didn't have to
suggest that twice. Pushing the throttle levers forward increased our
"flight speed" to well over 50 mph before I backed down to the more
sedate pace in the mid-30's. I didn't want to run the brand new
engines for more than a short burst at WOT, and I think I stopped a
couple of hundred RPM short. "I took this boat over to Kirkland to
show it to a client," said Rick, and with the tank almost entirely
full of fuel I managed to get up to 58 mph."

"That 35 mph speed is a very easy cruise speed for this boat,"
observed Rick English. "To put that into perspective, at 35 mph
it's just about two hours from Shilshole Bay to the dock in front of
the Empress in Victoria, BC".

If we forgot to ask Rick anything, it was probably "Why in the world
would anybody put something larger than a pair of 350's in this water
rocket?"

After the Crownline 315 SCR had proved its mettle running in straight
lines, we enjoyed one of the most memorable aspects of the F.A.S.Tab
hull; "sports car" handling. We put the 315 into some very hard
turns at full cruising speed and above. The Crownline definitely heels
over in a high speed turn, and when pushed to its limits in a turn may
be a more extreme experience than some boaters are looking for...(and
those boaters can slow down and make nice, flat turns at more moderate
speeds). What we had to notice was the even when the boat was heeled
over in a turn; the hull is designed to allow the boat to heel only so
far. Once we had "settled in" to even the tightest circle at the
highest speed, the Crownline 315 SCR remained extremely stable.

Conclusions:

The 2007 Crownline 315 SCR manages to combine "family cruiser"
capability with genuinely exhilarating speed and performance. The same
boat can tow a skier at a blistering pace, or host a half dozen friends
from the yacht club for afternoon refreshments in the shade of the
bimini top. Families struggling to find a boat that acceptably
compromises comfort and performance will want to take a careful look at
the 315 SCR- and when they do they may discover that they don't
really need to "compromise" at all.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for a new 2007 Crownline 315
SCR with Mercruiser 350 engines is $158,158.33. The boat we tested at
Sport Boat Northwest was totally loaded with the 110-volt A/C and Heat
system, flat screen TV, generator, "Captain's Call" exhaust
system, the "Executive striping" and factory "Convenience"
packages, and dozens of additional niceties. The lavishly equipped boat
stickered (with freight and prep charges) at $190,227.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's the result of my workday on Friday. :-)

Like all Crownline boats, the 315 SCR is impressively styled and carefully
assembled.

===============

You must have forgot to bring you glasses with you when tested the boat
Chuck. The forward leaning radar arch is ugly. The cockpit looks like a
giant marshmellow and the cockpit layout is poorly designed.

http://www.crownline.com/models/cruisers/315scr/aft.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui...5scr/big/3.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui.../main_boat.jpg

" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's the result of my workday on Friday. :-)

Like all Crownline boats, the 315 SCR is impressively styled and carefully
assembled.

===============

You must have forgot to bring your glasses with you when tested the boat

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's the result of my workday on Friday. :-)

Like all Crownline boats, the 315 SCR is impressively styled and carefully
assembled.

===============

You must have forgot to bring you glasses with you when tested the boat
Chuck. The forward leaning radar arch is ugly. The cockpit looks like a
giant marshmellow and the cockpit layout is poorly designed.

http://www.crownline.com/models/cruisers/315scr/aft.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui...5scr/big/3.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui.../main_boat.jpg

Jeez, Jim, do you think that your opinion matter? Let's see, who to
believe, someone who tests and writes about boats for a living, or a
bipolar ranting fool........

I don't mind the design of the boat, but it does seem like the radar
arch would look better swept back.

The interior is a nice design, but IMO, it looks like they could put
more color in it. The Pilsberry Doughboy could become the invisibe man
in there.

JimH wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's the result of my workday on Friday. :-)

Like all Crownline boats, the 315 SCR is impressively styled and carefully
assembled.

===============

You must have forgot to bring you glasses with you when tested the boat
Chuck. The forward leaning radar arch is ugly. The cockpit looks like a
giant marshmellow and the cockpit layout is poorly designed.

http://www.crownline.com/models/cruisers/315scr/aft.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui...5scr/big/3.jpg

http://www.crownline.com/models/crui.../main_boat.jpg

Eye of the beholder.

I like the radar arch, and don't agree with the marshmallow comparison.
It might be that the upholstery makes a different impression in person
than it does on a website photo, who knows? (Or, maybe if you actually
went aboard one of these models you would still think it looked like a
marshmallow- and you'd have every right to your opinion).

As far as the cockpit layout goes, I'd like to have you elaboarate on
"poorly designed."
I noticed two transom doors, one on either side of the sunpad. The main
transom door that most people would use is to port, and from there it's
a relatively straight shot all the way to the companionway door. One
half step to clear the wetbar on the port side and get inboard of the
lounge seat. The aft starboard quarter of the cockpit becomes a social
area, with table, blocking that transom door when the table is in place
and the removable seat is installed. How would you change or improve
the cockpit design?

Good discussion. :-)

wrote:
I don't mind the design of the boat, but it does seem like the radar
arch would look better swept back.

The interior is a nice design, but IMO, it looks like they could put
more color in it. The Pilsberry Doughboy could become the invisibe man
in there.

I believe there are several different colors of interior upholstery
available. The off whites are often displayed in shows, etc, as they
are pretty neutral. Women make most of the color decisions aboard most
boats, and they often like a somewhat blase' base color and then
decorate with colorful throw pillows, galley items, etc. If you want
dark red, tan, blue, or what not I'm sure that same fabric is available
in those colors.

I'd have to study the engineering a bit, but one reason for the forward
sweep of the radar arch may be to create a better location from which
to stretch canvas fore and aft. Turning the arch around would require a
really long front canvas, I think. Besides, I think the forward arch
gives the boat a contemporary look. Oh well, that's why they offer
boats in various styles- different strokes.

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimH wrote:
[...]

The cockpit looks small and cramped for a 32 footer and it looks like an
obstacle course to move around in. The aft sunpad is a waste of space. They
overdid it with the seating in the cockpit.

JMO. ;-)

To the extent I agree with JimH. But all we have to go by is the pics.
I will agree it might be a whole different scenerio up front and live.
Again, the interior does look puffy, marshmello white, but I'm glad
you did mention different color options. I wish that had been
explained.
I think there is too much white for even the sales pics, . especially
when you look at the bigger pic. Like, what kind of stains would be
left on that beautiful fabric after being wallowed in sun tan oils.
Stuff that actually penetrates the material and left unattended. IMO.
It would ahve been nicer if theere had been come color scheme, though.

Actually, what should I care? I can't afford it anyhow.

I think it IS a nice looking craft, though.

JimH wrote:
[...]

On 19 Aug 2006 08:44:21 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

[...]

Nice write up, Chuck. It's definitely not a fishing boat, but looks like it
could be a fun, albeit expensive, family/party boat. The pictures at:

http://www.crownline.com/models/mode...?model=315_scr

add a little more detail. I especially like the layout of the cockpit, the
upholstery design, and the radar arch mounting. Thanks for the info!

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John