posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Inverters & Laptops

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in news:TNtGh.6816
:

a sine wave 1000watt inverter costs about AU$800

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5301540
$118 for 1200 watts....sine wave output.
Walmart ships worldwide. 1200 watts - 2400 watts surge if you have heavy
enough wires to a big battery. Does Walmart charge that much in Australia?

Hmm....$US118 = $AU151. They're still probably going to hit you up for
some hefty import fees and VAT to pay for the socialized meds, etc.

Should still be much cheaper than $AU800!

Larry
--
If the damned government isn't going to enforce
immigration laws, can they at LEAST park an ICE
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote:
"sw" wrote in
:

Do you think it's OK for a square wave inverter to feed a UPS that
feeds a PC? I would really like to do that but was told by some one at
APC it's a no no. My feeling was he had no idea and was just covering
himself. Thanks

If you sold UPS products to make your living, would you want them to use
just any ol' cheap inverter....or your geewhiz technological wonder?

There aren't any "square wave inverters" left on the market that I know
of. Manufacturing inverters with sine wave synthesis is just too cheap
and easy now. I just bought a 750 watt sinewave Black & Decker from
WalMart for $70! It will even crank an 8000 Btu Samsung air conditioner
with its 1500 watt surge rating. It has three 30A fuses in parallel.
(No, you can't aircondition your boat on a boat battery....maybe a
submarine battery.) It doesn't even turn its fan on until the load gets
over 150 watts, it's so efficient. Driving my 1.6A fridge and a few
loads on my workbench, it hardly gets warm. The fan in the inverter
turns on and off as the fridge cycles...letting me know when the beer is
cold.

ALL of these little cheap inverters over the power input demand of the
laptop will run the laptop just fine and charge its battery. Mine
charges in the car from a 175W inverter that cost me $20 on sale. Your
PC is no exception, either. It also uses a switching power supply that
works perfectly with a very wide range of input voltages from DC to high
frequency AC. It matters not as the input is a rectifier feeding a big
storage capacitor the switchers use power from to create the output.
Everything is converted to SMOOTH DC at about 170VDC off the AC line,
whatever that line is. Many switching power supplies are rated from
90VAC to 270VAC input at any line frequency of whatever nation you happen
to plug it into, so the manufacturer can send any computer to any
customer, no matter where he/she lives.

AS a note, I'm using a large APC UPS to power the computers in my office.
It provides smooth power and automatically shuts down Windoze before the
battery goes dead if the power outage is elongated. That's the reason I
bought it, not for its perfectly-smooth, xtal-regulated 60 Hz at 120VAC.
There was an "electrical noise" that lasted 8 seconds the last time it
switched on to protect the equipment, probably caused by the beer fridge
or electric heater running off the same outlet its plugged into coming on
simultaneously...???

Larry

I found that a Zantrex "modified sine wave", really a modified square
wave inverter, would not run a Sears 115v input NiCad battery charger
for a 19.2v drill until I built a low pass filter for the inverter.
Dick, Nonsuch 26
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hmm....$US118 = $AU151. They're still probably going to hit you up for
some hefty import fees and VAT to pay for the socialized meds, etc.

When you reach 65, socialized meds look very attractive! :?)

"Larry" wrote in message
"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in news:TNtGh.6816
:

a sine wave 1000watt inverter costs about AU$800

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5301540
$118 for 1200 watts....sine wave output.
Walmart ships worldwide. 1200 watts - 2400 watts surge if you have heavy
enough wires to a big battery. Does Walmart charge that much in
Australia?

Hmm....$US118 = $AU151. They're still probably going to hit you up for
some hefty import fees and VAT to pay for the socialized meds, etc.

Should still be much cheaper than $AU800!

you guys are on 110volts over there though right?

Shaun

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in news:TNtGh.6816
:

a sine wave 1000watt inverter costs about AU$800

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5301540
$118 for 1200 watts....sine wave output.
Walmart ships worldwide. 1200 watts - 2400 watts surge if you have heavy
enough wires to a big battery. Does Walmart charge that much in
Australia?

Hmm....$US118 = $AU151. They're still probably going to hit you up for
some hefty import fees and VAT to pay for the socialized meds, etc.

Should still be much cheaper than $AU800!

you guys are on 110volts over there though right?

Shaun

No
we are on 240vac 50hz
that makes it very awkward to get items at your cheaper prices
same goes for the nice little honda generators that you get for about
$400 usd
the same unit here is near $2000
cry.....sigh
shaun
not the OP

posted to rec.boats.electronics
RR RR is offline

I use for a couple years a laptop on my boat.
All what one needs is an adaptor/ converter to 12 V,
works perfectly
I would not bather with an inverter

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:47:26 +0900, shaun
wrote:

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message

[...]

shaun wrote:
No
we are on 240vac 50hz

So when the UK went from 240V to 230V a few years ago Australia didn't
do the same? I believe the expression over there is "bummer"?

--
Kees
posted to rec.boats.electronics

JohnW wrote:
Kees Verruijt, in article 45ec4245$0$321
, says...
shaun wrote:
No
we are on 240vac 50hz

So when the UK went from 240V to 230V a few years ago Australia didn't
do the same? I believe the expression over there is "bummer"?

Actually the UK didn't change - we altered the specs :-)
Instead of changing the voltage down to 230v, the acceptable
range of voltages Europe wide was changed from +/-6% to
+10%-6% so our 240v was included in the European-wide specs.
Rules are meant to be modified where necessary :-)

Ah. Wikipedia has this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_(UK)
"
Since 1960, the supply voltage in Great Britain in domestic premises has
been 240 V AC (rms) at 50 Hz while in Northern Ireland it was 220 V. In
1988, a Europe-wide agreement was reached to change the various national
voltages, which ranged at the time from 220 V to 240 V, to a common
European standard of 230 V (CENELEC Harmonization Document HD 472 S1:1988).

As a result, the standard nominal supply voltage in domestic
single-phase 50 Hz installations in the UK has been 230 V AC (rms) since
1 January 1995 (Electricity Supply Regulations, SI 1994, No. 3021).
However, as an interim measure, electricity suppliers can work with an
asymmetric voltage tolerance of 230 V +10%/−6% (216.2 V to 253 V). This
was supposed to be widened to 230 V ±10% (207 V to 253 V), but the time
of this change has been put back repeatedly and currently sits in 2008
(BS 7697). The old standard was 240 V ±6% (225.6 V to 254.4 V), which is
mostly contained within the new range, and so in practice suppliers have
had no reason to actually change voltages.

The continued deviation in the UK from the harmonised European voltage
has been criticised in particular by light bulb manufacturers, who
require tighter voltage tolerances to optimise the operating temperature
and lifetime of their products, and who currently have to continue
producing separate 230 V and 240 V versions.
"

Maybe that is why *Australia* is banning lightbulbs in a few years :-)
so they can then change the supply voltage !!!

(Sorry for drifting off course here, couldn't resist!)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in news:OvRGh.7507
:

you guys are on 110volts over there though right?

Shaun

Oh, oh....I forgot....Yes, everything's 115VAC 60 Hz.

Sorry I didn't think of that.

Larry
--
Have a little fun in the checkout line....
Ask the nearest American, "Did you see the ICE
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Does Walmart charge that much in Australia?

Thankfully, we don't have WalMart in Australia at this time. (at least as
far as I know we don't)

Power Inverters Robert Burkard Electronics 8 July 24th 06 03:26 AM
Power Inverters Robert Burkard Cruising 0 July 22nd 06 03:16 AM
Laptops Gordon Electronics 3 April 13th 06 01:01 AM
12 volt laptops Bob Owen Cruising 8 November 16th 03 02:00 PM
Laptops and 12 volts. Josh Assing Electronics 14 August 20th 03 09:23 PM