posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon

Default Laptops

I'm no computer whiz geek when it comes to laptops and I'm in the market.
So what's cheap and and reasonable for a boat computer.
Must be able to play movies, run nav software, have wi-fi and long battery
life!
Help!
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
David

I got a Dell C600 off ebay for 400 beans... Has DVD etc.... Definitely go
with Dell IMHO.

Am a computer Programmer/Geek... Avoid Gateway like the plague....

my .02
- David

"Gordon" wrote in message
I'm no computer whiz geek when it comes to laptops and I'm in the market.
So what's cheap and and reasonable for a boat computer.
Must be able to play movies, run nav software, have wi-fi and long battery
life!
Help!
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Gordon:

I ended up with a Panasonic Toughbook CF-73 that I purchased on Ebay.
It wasn't cheap, but less than IBM think pad. Its main attraction is
it really is a more durable computer than a lot of the others: it
will handle minor drops, moisture and dust without problems. I also
ejoy the fact that it comes with a real serial port.

I don't think any of the laptops will meet the advertised battery
life, but most of them can be run from the boat batteries.

You could also buy two, and keep one as a backup.

Gary

"Gordon" wrote in message
I'm no computer whiz geek when it comes to laptops and I'm in the market.
So what's cheap and and reasonable for a boat computer.
Must be able to play movies, run nav software, have wi-fi and long battery
life!
Help!
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"Gordon" wrote in message
I'm no computer whiz geek when it comes to laptops and I'm in the market.
So what's cheap and and reasonable for a boat computer.
Must be able to play movies, run nav software, have wi-fi and long battery
life!
Help!
Thanks
Gordon
--

Yes, check out eBay for Dell and IBM laptops. I bought a Dell CPx which is
a 750MHz machine for about $200. For Dell computers there are lots of bits