Josh Assing

Default Laptops and 12 volts.

My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110, then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like this?
Dennis Pogson

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110,

then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like

this?

Don't bother, just stay as you are with the inverter, it really isn't worth
it. To get the amps you need to run a laptop, the circuitry is more costly
than what you are doing now. This post will result in howls of protest from
the electronics whizzkids, but I'm telling you, it's a jungle out there!

LLongiii

Check with Radio Shack. I bought a universal Laptop power supply from them that
workes fine.
Dennis Pogson

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.
"LLongiii" wrote in message
Check with Radio Shack. I bought a universal Laptop power supply from them

that
workes fine.

From a 12-volt source?

Fraser

If you are after a simpler alternative these may help, they are in
Australia, but I'm sure they will be available somewhere in the states:

http://jacek.customer.netspace.net.au/charger.html

and

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID=

Hope this helps,
Fraser

"DaveH" wrote in message
what the hell? you already have the inverter. something else could be

more
efficient, but not THAT much more.

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110,

then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something

like
this?

Don't bother, just stay as you are with the inverter, it really isn't

worth
it. To get the amps you need to run a laptop, the circuitry is more

costly
than what you are doing now. This post will result in howls of protest

from
the electronics whizzkids, but I'm telling you, it's a jungle out there!

Josh Assing

Cool; thanks. I've found a few others, "Radio shack" (a electronics chain) has
something,a nd iGo has a highly recommended unit.

However, I gotta think these units that do multiple voltages aren't as effecient
as going directly from 12vdc to 18vdc.

Anyone know for sure?
-josh

"DaveH" wrote in message
[...]

jeannette

Look the

http://user.gru.net/n4uau/kits/Volta...e/apvb-kit.htm

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:51:49 -0700, Josh Assing
wrote:

My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110, then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like this?

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html
Dennis Pogson

wrote:

My laptop uses 18 volts... Right now; i use an inverter to go to 110,

then use
hte laptops power supply to return to 18.

Seems like if I could just go 12vdc to 18vdc it'd be more effecient.

Thoughts?

And if so; any clues on where I can find info on building something like

this?

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

Sounds great, but at $75+ what is the point?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

jeannette

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:19:29 +0100, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Sounds great, but at $75+ what is the point?

It doesn't generate RFI so you can use it at the same time as your HF
radio.

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html
Len Krauss

Check the wattage requirements of your notebook PC. The RS adapter didn't
have quite enough juice to power my H-P, and especially so when charging the
PC's battery.