posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Depth Finder Stops Working

frank1492 wrote:

For starters, will the wise guys (and their wives) who thought I
was so stupid please google "paddle wheel transducer" and see what
comes up? Thanks.

I get a lot of hits on transducers that measure flow or movement,
nothing about depth. And it was a statement made in ignorance that was
funny when read. It is that simple.

If the transducer is mounted inside the boat, I would assume
it would be found just above the port above the paddle wheel,
correct?

Not necessarily. It could be a in hull, thru hull, or transom mounted
model. Look at them he

http://www.airmartechnology.com/airm...wn.asp?Type=FF

I'd expect to find anything from a nearly flat surface (about the same
amount of protrusion as a through hull inlet or discharge fitting) but
with no hole in it. Or maybe a smoothly faired lump of bronze with an
inch or two of protrusion.

And could that port be clogged with barnacles even though
the paddle wheel itself appeared clean?

A transducer is not a port, it has no opening or hole. It is like a
small combination magnetic speaker and and microphone. It generates
sound waves (inaudible to the human ear) that travel through the water.
Then it shuts up, listens for a return, and sends that back to the
display module where the return is processed.

It will generally look like a flat surface and will be aimed more or
less straight down. Forget the paddle wheel. It has nothing to do with
depth finding. Forget anything that might have a hole in it. Look for
something that looks something like the ones in the photos at the Airmar
link.

I will try to find that transducer and hope it is not mounted
under the gas tank!

Unlikely location. But the short slightedness of boat builders can't be
underestimated. Worst case, if you have a display, follow the coaxial
cable that comes out of the back of the display and you'll find a
transducer. Or you may find a pair of wires that go to a a processor
(the brains of the operation) that may be mounted below decks in the
same general area as the transducer.

Thanks to those who have tried to help.

You're welcome.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thanks to all for your follow-up on my problem,
particularly to Jack
When I get out to the boat (maybe not until tomorrow)
I will get the manu. of the unit and look at the display with the
line to the transducer disconnected to see if I get the same
reading. Probably nothing conclusive from that but I'd like
to see what happens.
I now think I do remember seeing that transducer when
painting the bottom. It was, as Jack said, like a plugged
thru-hull fitting, and I think it was the same distance forward as the
paddle wheel, though on the opposite side. If that's the case
the top parts of the two transducers are easily visible under
the engine, and I have seen them many times.
I will keep you posted, and thanks all again.
Frank
,

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:21:25 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

Hello All-
For starters, will the wise guys (and their wives) who thought I
was so stupid please google "paddle wheel transducer" and see what
comes up? Thanks.
To the others, the boat is a 1988 Grady White Seafarer with a
thru-hull transducer.The paddle wheel is located left of center about
2-3 feet forward of the stern. I do not recall the manufacturer of the
depth finder. I will check tomorrow. (Boat currently at mooring.)
There are no obvious irregularities on the hull and the boat was
just launched so no opportunity to accumulate marine growth.
The problem occurred rather suddenly.
If the transducer is mounted inside the boat, I would assume
it would be found just above the port above the paddle wheel,
correct? And could that port be clogged with barnacles even though
the paddle wheel itself appeared clean?
I will try to find that transducer and hope it is not mounted
under the gas tank!
Thanks to those who have tried to help.
Frank

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 01:54:08 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

It seems stuck at 2 or 2.1 feet. I checked the paddle wheel
before launch, removed the barnacles, and it spun freely.
Any ideas as to where the trouble might lie?
Thanks in advance!
Frank

depth finder losing bottom [email protected] Electronics 3 June 1st 06 06:31 AM
Astro Depth Finder problem Joe Sargent General 2 September 14th 04 12:15 AM
Depth Finder Problem Himm General 1 July 31st 04 11:12 AM
2 yr old depth finder problem Himm General 0 July 30th 04 03:11 AM
Replacing Lowrance depth finder butch burton General 5 October 16th 03 09:59 AM