posted to rec.boats.electronics
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Depth Finder Stops Working

Thanks to all for your follow-up on my problem,
particularly to Jack
When I get out to the boat (maybe not until tomorrow)
I will get the manu. of the unit and look at the display with the
line to the transducer disconnected to see if I get the same
reading. Probably nothing conclusive from that but I'd like
to see what happens.
I now think I do remember seeing that transducer when
painting the bottom. It was, as Jack said, like a plugged
thru-hull fitting, and I think it was the same distance forward as the
paddle wheel, though on the opposite side. If that's the case
the top parts of the two transducers are easily visible under
the engine, and I have seen them many times.
I will keep you posted, and thanks all again.
Frank
,

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:21:25 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

Hello All-
For starters, will the wise guys (and their wives) who thought I
was so stupid please google "paddle wheel transducer" and see what
comes up? Thanks.
To the others, the boat is a 1988 Grady White Seafarer with a
thru-hull transducer.The paddle wheel is located left of center about
2-3 feet forward of the stern. I do not recall the manufacturer of the
depth finder. I will check tomorrow. (Boat currently at mooring.)
There are no obvious irregularities on the hull and the boat was
just launched so no opportunity to accumulate marine growth.
The problem occurred rather suddenly.
If the transducer is mounted inside the boat, I would assume
it would be found just above the port above the paddle wheel,
correct? And could that port be clogged with barnacles even though
the paddle wheel itself appeared clean?
I will try to find that transducer and hope it is not mounted
under the gas tank!
Thanks to those who have tried to help.
Frank

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 01:54:08 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

It seems stuck at 2 or 2.1 feet. I checked the paddle wheel
before launch, removed the barnacles, and it spun freely.
Any ideas as to where the trouble might lie?
Thanks in advance!
Frank