posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Default Raymarine self compatibility

Larry wrote:

So, why do you read it? Are you a dealer, too?....

No Larry, I'm just an honest and objective person trying to add some
balance to your nitterings.

If I asked a question about my Freddy Widget and someone else on the
newsgroup had one that knew it was a POS, I'd certainly want them to tell
me their experience with it. Just because YOU heard it before, he may not
have been here.

And if you read that is was a POS, and were sure it was not a POS, you
would say something to give the conversation some balance wouldn't you?

Of course, if you're CONNECTED to the Raymarine line, you'd want to shut up
any dissenting observations that my trash sales, eh?

Nope, not me. If I thought the product was bad, I'd say that. If I
thought it was okay or good I'd say that too. In fact I just did.

Why are you two defending a defective product?

I'm not defending anything, the condition those are routinely found in
speaks for inaccuracy of your allegations.

Come on up here, I can show you 150-200 yachts in winter storage, at
least half of which will have Raymarine scanners on them. Bring a
pocket full of $100 bills with you and we'll start popping covers off of
scanners (the sail boats with the masts off will be the easy ones to
start with). I'll give you a $100 bill for everyone we find in the
condition you describe and you'll give me $100 for everyone that is not
in that condition. And you'll go home broke.

You really bring a lot of discredit to yourself with your irrational
nitterings about those scanners. It is simply not true.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-01-21 00:50:50 +1100, Larry said:

John Proctor wrote in news:2006012019472716807-
lost@nowhereorg:

Here we go again, Larry's favourite hobby horse!

What's your interest, John? Are you a Raymarine dealer? Why are you
protecting an obvious crap product? I didn't make it rain in the dome
and rot the pot metal....

Larry,

I sell and install raymarine and FURUNO and I have to say the quality
of both are comparable. I too have many old Raymarine radars installed
and they generally are in no worse condition than the quivalent FURUNO
scanners I see. It all comes down to the competance of the installer,
enough said!

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

On 2006-01-21 00:50:50 +1100, Larry said:

John Proctor wrote in news:2006012019472716807-
lost@nowhereorg:

Here we go again, Larry's favourite hobby horse!

What's your interest, John? Are you a Raymarine dealer? Why are you
protecting an obvious crap product? I didn't make it rain in the dome
and rot the pot metal....

Larry,

I sell and install raymarine and FURUNO and I have to say the quality
of both are comparable. I too have many old Raymarine radars installed
and they generally are in no worse condition than the quivalent FURUNO
scanners I see. It all comes down to the competance of the installer,
enough said!

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

After 20+ years selling and installing at least 7 brands of radars that
I can think of, (and servicing several other brands), I itch to jump in
here, but my skin is too thin to be flamed by those who just enjoy the
scuffle!
Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

John Proctor wrote in news:2006012108082916807-
lost@nowhereorg:

It all comes down to the competance of the installer,
enough said!

Hdmm....lessee....
Mount radome with 4 bolts to radar mount where last one that failed came
off, grease bolts to prevent seizing then sealing bolt holes as best you
can to keep stainless bolts from eating away pot metal threaded holes from
salt air electrolysis...
Install rubber tit drain in plastic box....
Feed cheap plastic molex plug through cheap plastic stuffing tube and
tighten on plastic cable...
Plug cheap plastic molex plug into pins sticking out of exposed PC board
through open slot in pot metal chassis box....
Put flimsy plastic top in little groove with little rubber seal and tighten
only 4 bolts holding it all on that don't seal well.

What did I miss you professional plug swappers wouldn't? Installing this
radome is simpler than putting a stereo in the boat....only one cable....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in
:

After 20+ years selling and installing at least 7 brands of
radars that
I can think of, (and servicing several other brands), I itch to jump
in here, but my skin is too thin to be flamed by those who just enjoy
the scuffle!
Old Chief Lynn

Come on in, Chief! I forgot to put:

"open cheap plastic power connectors so you can stuff the DC wires into the
holes and clamp 'em shut to make contact with the wires", in my last post.

Silly me. I think for $2000 the goddamned thing oughta have a proper
SEALED military-style marine connector, not a little plastic molex plug
plugged into the PC board like a cheap keyboard from Radio Shack inside the
dome where it's raining...(c;

Let 'er RIP! Marine electronics is all crap. Plugless crap.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Jack Erbes wrote in
:

You really bring a lot of discredit to yourself with your irrational
nitterings about those scanners. It is simply not true.

Jack

tell ya what I'll do, Jack. Next time I have to replace the damned
thing, I'm going to haul it all apart before sending it back to England
and post the pictures of this **** scanner for ya. Our boat sits in the
water ALL YEAR, not on some davit in the parking lot.

The design of this POS sucks. Rusty magnetron, poorly sealed dome that
has to breathe in and out sea air every day through that little drain tit
in the bottom. Everything in the dome open with slots so the cheap plug
pins soldered into the motherboard the molex plug mates with like a cheap
stereo can get all wet inside. Want me to send it to ya?

They don't survive in tropical marine climates....

Funny, though. At the base of the mizzen this POS is mounted on is a
little plastic Icom AT-130 antenna tuner that's SEALED from breathing sea
air in and out. It has lots of screws to tighten its cheap plastic case
on the big, flat rubber seal that doesn't breathe in and out every time
the sun rises on it. Matter of fact, it's bolted to the top of the aft
cabin at the base of the mizzen where it gets regularly sprayed with
seawater! Open it up and you'll find it just as clean and uncorroded as
the day I, an incompetent installer who's been putting in military gear
and civilian crap since 1966, installed it wrongly.

Isn't it funny now Icom can make a SEALED ANTENNA TUNER that doesn't
corrode up inside for a couple hundred bucks, but Raymarine can't for
$2000? Why is that?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:43:44 -0500, Jack Erbes
wrote:

I'm just an honest and objective person trying to add some
balance to your nitterings.

Larry wants balance added to his nitterings about as much as you'd
like a box of thumbtacks strewn across your bathroom floor.

Larry is all about nitterings and is not easily confused by the facts.

That said, I love my new Furuno. On the the other hand, my 24 year
old Raytheon is still chugging along also, and the 22 year old
Raytheon on our old boat was doing just fine as well.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

I sell and install raymarine and FURUNO and I have to say the quality
of both are comparable. I too have many old Raymarine radars installed
and they generally are in no worse condition than the quivalent FURUNO
scanners I see. It all comes down to the competance of the installer,
enough said!

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

After 20+ years selling and installing at least 7 brands of radars

that
I can think of, (and servicing several other brands), I itch to jump in
here, but my skin is too thin to be flamed by those who just enjoy the
scuffle!
Old Chief Lynn

After tooting my own whistle (above) I had to try to come up with the 7
brands of radars I sold. I found the names of 13 brands I sold, installed
and serviced, along with 17 additional brands that I serviced that I did not
sell.
I'm quite sure this is of great interest to the group.
Now, who is Raymarine? We sold and serviced Raytheon for many years,
and JRC for a while. Is Raymarine related to those older names?
Old Chief Lynn (still tooting horn)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
After tooting my own whistle (above) I had to try to come up with the

7
brands of radars I sold. I found the names of 13 brands I sold, installed
and serviced, along with 17 additional brands that I serviced that I did

not
sell.
I'm quite sure this is of great interest to the group.
Now, who is Raymarine? We sold and serviced Raytheon for many years,
and JRC for a while. Is Raymarine related to those older names?
Old Chief Lynn (still tooting horn)

Yes, Raymarine was emerged from Raytheon.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
snip
After tooting my own whistle (above) I had to try to come up with the 7
brands of radars I sold. I found the names of 13 brands I sold, installed
and serviced, along with 17 additional brands that I serviced that I did not
sell.
I'm quite sure this is of great interest to the group.
Now, who is Raymarine? We sold and serviced Raytheon for many years,
and JRC for a while. Is Raymarine related to those older names?
Old Chief Lynn (still tooting horn)

It is the heirs of the Raytheon legacy. A lot of their stuff was and
some still is made in England but it is now some sort of transnational
corporation with morphing of brand names and stuff.

You, like me, probably remember when Japanese made stuff was crap. And
then you also probably remember when it finally became the "good stuff".

Through all there there were some American and European brands that were
the benchmarks for quality. All the names that represented the
benchmarks are still around, some have been morphed a little (Raytheon
to Raymarine for example).

Some of the brands like Furuno and JRC (Japanese Radio Company) are now
"outsourcing" manufacture to places like China, Korea, Singapore, and
Taiwan.

You call yourself "Old Chief Lynn". What kind of Chief was that? A
Navy Chief? Or something truly noble like a Native American?

Cheers,

Jack