posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Raymarine self compatibility

Jack Erbes wrote in
:

You really bring a lot of discredit to yourself with your irrational
nitterings about those scanners. It is simply not true.

Jack

tell ya what I'll do, Jack. Next time I have to replace the damned
thing, I'm going to haul it all apart before sending it back to England
and post the pictures of this **** scanner for ya. Our boat sits in the
water ALL YEAR, not on some davit in the parking lot.

The design of this POS sucks. Rusty magnetron, poorly sealed dome that
has to breathe in and out sea air every day through that little drain tit
in the bottom. Everything in the dome open with slots so the cheap plug
pins soldered into the motherboard the molex plug mates with like a cheap
stereo can get all wet inside. Want me to send it to ya?

They don't survive in tropical marine climates....

Funny, though. At the base of the mizzen this POS is mounted on is a
little plastic Icom AT-130 antenna tuner that's SEALED from breathing sea
air in and out. It has lots of screws to tighten its cheap plastic case
on the big, flat rubber seal that doesn't breathe in and out every time
the sun rises on it. Matter of fact, it's bolted to the top of the aft
cabin at the base of the mizzen where it gets regularly sprayed with
seawater! Open it up and you'll find it just as clean and uncorroded as
the day I, an incompetent installer who's been putting in military gear
and civilian crap since 1966, installed it wrongly.

Isn't it funny now Icom can make a SEALED ANTENNA TUNER that doesn't
corrode up inside for a couple hundred bucks, but Raymarine can't for
$2000? Why is that?