posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Raymarine ST4000 wheelpilot/scratchy noise

Hi,
I have a brand new ST4000 wheelpilot on a 35ft sailboat. When I move
the wheel (autopilot not engaged), the unit makes a scratchy/squeaky
noise going through certain wheel positions as if something is
dragging). It doesn't really affect steering ability and the noise is
not very loud, but it is a bit annoying and does have a bit of a "cheap
plastic" feel to it. The dealer who installed the unit says that this
is normal for this unit? I don't have a comparison. Am I too picky?
Opinions? Suggestions.

Thanks
Ax

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Steve

The Autohelm/Raymarine wheel pilots are belt driven, even those that have an
enclosed wheel drive.

The ST4000 is of this type and you must realize that the enclosed belt is
going around the inside rim and a few idler pulleys/pinch rollers.

I have had this type of drive on a previous boat and noted similar sounds
and a slight drag. Not enough to effect steering. However, eventually I did
find that the belt would sometimes not release when the clutch lever was
released. To over come this problem, it would frequently require jerking the
wheel back and forth. Later, I found others with this sticking problem and a
solution which involved flushing the wheel drive with a shot of fresh water.
Seems the rubber belt gets 'tacky' over time in the salt air enviournment.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Matt Colie

Ax,
It is NOT normal for that unit.
The jamoke didn't take time to get the unit true and square on the wheel.
Want to fix it?
Spin the wheel and notice where the king post is when you feel the
"scratchies" are.
If it is one per turn, the ring is probably not true. Loosen the clamps
and watch where the locator post is in the slot. When it gets tight,
give it a push. A few of these and it should be true enough.

If it is two places, loosen all the soke clamps and spin the wheel. It
will probably be OK now, so tighten one clamp at a time while doing
turns. If one gets bad, look at how that one clamps up. that one may
need a little shim toe make it true.

Good Luck

Matt Colie

wrote:

Hi,
I have a brand new ST4000 wheelpilot on a 35ft sailboat. When I move
the wheel (autopilot not engaged), the unit makes a scratchy/squeaky
noise going through certain wheel positions as if something is
dragging). It doesn't really affect steering ability and the noise is
not very loud, but it is a bit annoying and does have a bit of a "cheap
plastic" feel to it. The dealer who installed the unit says that this
is normal for this unit? I don't have a comparison. Am I too picky?
Opinions? Suggestions.

Thanks
Ax

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
bushman

I have the ST4000+ MK2 and it has no noise or friction when the lever is
pulled all of the way over to the indent. I say this is not "normal" and
needs to be fixed. Everything has to be lined up and centered on the wheel
before all the bolts are tightened. This takes patience and some precision
that the installer may have been lacking. Make sure your wheel does not have
a wobble or bent spokes. Read the installation instructions carefully and
look (sitting down facing aft so that it is at eye level) at the two halves
of the plastic ring as you turn the wheel I bet that they are not aligned.
There should be an even gap all the way around in all wheel positions.
You are going to enjoy this autopilot. My only problem when the autopilot is
engaged is staying awake.
- Allen