Burnie M

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:09:52 +0200, "Robert Elsinga =8-)"
t wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:24:44 +1000, Burnie M
wrote:

Streetpilot 2610.

SP2610 does not have UTM or trackback

Oops... didn't see that...

next ?

Drop some requirements...? The combination trackback+CF+autorouting is
killing...

The Quest can do UTm, trackback and autorouting, but has no memory
cards. The 276C can do it all but has Garmin cards. Magellan probably
has receivers that do everything, but autorouting (in a decent way,
since their routable maps seem to s*ck).

This is my point

I have a GPSmap 276C

I want autorouting plus technical navigation features plus standard
memory - all reasonable

Garmin can give lots of options for the first and the last
requirements but all in a dumbed down package

Robert Elsinga =8-)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:09:38 +1000, Burnie M
wrote:

Drop some requirements...? The combination trackback+CF+autorouting is
killing...

The Quest can do UTm, trackback and autorouting, but has no memory
cards. The 276C can do it all but has Garmin cards. Magellan probably
has receivers that do everything, but autorouting (in a decent way,
since their routable maps seem to s*ck).

This is my point

I have a GPSmap 276C

I want autorouting plus technical navigation features plus standard
memory - all reasonable

Garmin can give lots of options for the first and the last
requirements but all in a dumbed down package

All marine models have the Garmin datacards... because that way they
don;t have to produce CF cards with maps unlocked to one specific GPS.
Pro: you can swap Bluechart maps between mulitple units. Contra: it's
more expensive.

You have one of the best Garmin receivers on the market right now, but
it has one drawback: the Garmin datacards. Not only are they more
expensive, they are also limited in size to (now) 512MB.

Burnie M

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:32:48 +0200, "Robert Elsinga =8-)"
t wrote:

Not only are they more expensive, they are also limited in size to (now) 512MB.

Who has 512 Mb Garmin cards ?

Robert Elsinga =8-)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:44:05 +1000, Burnie M
wrote:

Not only are they more expensive, they are also limited in size to (now) 512MB.

Who has 512 Mb Garmin cards ?

Garmin has announced them some time aga, AFAIK. Since I don't need
them (I own a Quest hich has no problem with memorycards, because it
has fixed memory) I don't know if they are available yet. My favorit
GPS shop (www.gps.nl) only has cards up to 256MB at this moment.

Albert Nurick

Burnie M wrote:

This is my point

I have a GPSmap 276C

I want autorouting plus technical navigation features plus standard
memory - all reasonable

Garmin can give lots of options for the first and the last
requirements but all in a dumbed down package

Reasonable is fine, but if the product doesn't exist, reasonable
doesn't matter.

I detest the stupid proprietary Garmin cards, but if that was the only
thing holding me back from an otherwise perfect-for-me product, I'd get
over it, bite the bullet, and go for the product with the right
*functionality* that I need.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
| eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Robert Elsinga =8-)

On 24 Jul 2005 06:46:30 -0700, "Jerry M" wrote:

Garmin introduced 256mb cards sometime ago not 512mb.

Hmmm...... sorry... =8-}

SamSez

"Albert Nurick" wrote in message
Burnie M wrote:

This is my point

I have a GPSmap 276C

I want autorouting plus technical navigation features plus standard
memory - all reasonable

Garmin can give lots of options for the first and the last
requirements but all in a dumbed down package

Reasonable is fine, but if the product doesn't exist, reasonable
doesn't matter.

I detest the stupid proprietary Garmin cards, but if that was the only
thing holding me back from an otherwise perfect-for-me product, I'd get
over it, bite the bullet, and go for the product with the right
*functionality* that I need.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
| eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting

Unless routing within a 256Mb max database just doesn't meet your needs.

[Imo, a bad choice on Garmin's part to not include two card slots -- unless they
don't care about lost sales.]

Non Toxic

"Ted Lindgreen" wrote in message
In article ,
Owning two Garmin units with the non standard datacards, I agree
with the other complainers that this is a 'fault' that needs to be
'fixed'. The only purpose for hangin on to them seems commercial,
i.e. in Garmins interest and not something beneficial to the
customers.

It helps to maintain the security of pre-programmed marine data without
requiring individual unit locking. This in turn makes it easier for the
mariner.

This is definately NOT true. Most mariners do not WANT to "just buy
A card to plugin": they HAD to do this because RayMarine, Garmin,
and other manufacturers only provided the map-data on such cards.

I work in the industry and I can assure you pre-programed Bluechart
datacards outsell Bluechart CDROMs by many, many fold. For most mariners,
pre-programmed cards are still much easier than unlocking and uploading a
CDROM. There are still heaps of people out there who are confused by the
simplist of PC applications.

. . . . . . . . as serious mariners update their maps
regularly, the "compatibility with old pre-programmed cards"-argument
is just not valid anymore. Certainly not for new equipment, one
which one usually wishes to use up-to-date mapping data instead of
using years out-dated data on old pre-programmed cards.

What rubbish!! All pre-programmed datacards have the same release of
mapping as the CDROM version. If you have bought a new datacard with old
mapping on it, take it back and get it replaced with the current version. If
new map data is released in the future, simply return your card, pay a small
update fee and take home the latest version. Theres no reason to ever have
to use an old chart anymore than you have to use an old CDROM.

Regards,
-- ted

Pascal

Hi Holger,

Of course,I would prefer that Garmin put the std NMEA AIS receiver
support just now in all marine ploters , so that I can connect my
GpsMap 276C with a cheap $200 AIS receiver. But the delay appear to be
due that they probabily will make his own AIS Class B transponder to
make money with it. I want AIS on my chartploter, not on a PC/Laptop,
that is my problem. If not, I would already have AIS using the NASA
receiver and the free SeaClear software.

Regards

Pascal