Pascal

Default Garmin GpsMap 376C Announced Today

See http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

GpsMap 376C (US$ 999) is US$ 250 more expensive that GpsMap276C
(US$750) and offer only XM weather standard wich is usefull only in
USA. Nothing about AIS.

Burnie M

On 19 Jul 2005 17:18:48 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

See http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

GpsMap 376C (US$ 999) is US$ 250 more expensive that GpsMap276C
(US$750) and offer only XM weather standard wich is usefull only in
USA. Nothing about AIS.

And nothing about a decent memory card format......

Larry

"Pascal" wrote in
ps.com:

Nothing about AIS.

Pity. All chartplotters need to be AIS compatible.

I've sent email to The Cap'n nav software we use. I want him to add code
to it that will generate and decode AIS 9600 baud data straight off the VHF
radios, without the million dollar marine interface/radio scam. We hams
have used direct soundcard audio for our digital systems on VHF for years,
bypassing the sell-me-another-box scams. Modern PCs are easily up to the
task of direct interfaces.....fast.

--
Larry

Larry

"Gus" wrote in news:GfvDe.56685$iU.44338@lakeread05:

APRS

Why Bob Bruninga, APRS' inventor, hasn't sued their asses is a mystery to
me. AIS is just a rebottled APRS, which doesn't clear any of them from a
patent...

Maybe Bob's already being paid his royalties....(c;

--
Larry

Pascal

The "ShipPlotter" software already does this,have you see it?
http://www.shipplotter.com

Larry

"Pascal" wrote in
ups.com:

The "ShipPlotter" software already does this,have you see it?
http://www.shipplotter.com

Yes, I found Ship Plotter, too. But I want the navigation software boys to
use this same soundcard/radio idea with their NAV software so we can get
accurate AIS plotting on the extensive charting programs we are already
paying heavily to use. We already have all the charts that The Cap'n
produces. The Cap'n now needs an AIS module added to it to use the tones
coming into the computer from the sound card audio input to plot all these
targets right on its existing extensive chart plots.

What a great product it will be when it combines what Ship Plotter does on
its limited plotter with the extensive database charting The Cap'n or other
charting software already is capable of doing.

--
Larry
Non Toxic

"Burnie M" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2005 17:18:48 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

See http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

GpsMap 376C (US$ 999) is US$ 250 more expensive that GpsMap276C
(US$750) and offer only XM weather standard wich is usefull only in
USA. Nothing about AIS.

And nothing about a decent memory card format......

It still mainly targeting the marine market so its still needs to support
pre-programmed marine chart datacards.

SamSez

"Non Toxic" wrote in message

"Burnie M" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2005 17:18:48 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

See http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

GpsMap 376C (US$ 999) is US$ 250 more expensive that GpsMap276C
(US$750) and offer only XM weather standard wich is usefull only in
USA. Nothing about AIS.

And nothing about a decent memory card format......

It still mainly targeting the marine market so its still needs to support
pre-programmed marine chart datacards.

duh -- and it would be so damned hard to have slots for both card types? Like a
$20 card reader maybe? Couldn't possibly have anything to do with wanting to
keep that expensive card business in house, could it?

Pascal

One very interesting thing is that the WXM smart satelite antena is
pluged in the USB port of Map376C; pheraps, if/when Garmin unveils its
proprietary AIS receiver, it can be pluged too, to the USB port of
Map376C and, hopefully in the GpsMap 276C, as to me, appears that
the hwardware of these 2 units are identical...