Spanky

"SamSez" wrote in message
news:cuEDe.6619$Im3.5038@trndny07...

duh -- and it would be so damned hard to have slots for both card types?
Like a
$20 card reader maybe? Couldn't possibly have anything to do with wanting
keep that expensive card business in house, could it?

Not sure what the big deal is. I bought a 256MB card, loaded all the City
Select maps for Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, Nevada,
Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and some Western portions of South
Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas all on one card, including all metro
areas, all auto-routing data and all POI's. I just leave that little
proprietary card lodged into the unit as if it were internal memory and have
never wished for more. I have the 128MB card that I keep in case I need more
but...

Maybe if I was a salesman on the East Coast and my territory was the entire
East Coast I would wish for more memory but a salesman doesn't need a GPS as
sophisticated as the 276C/376C. For your average user lack of memory just
isn't going to be an issue. When was the last time you went on a trip and
brought an atlas for each of the 50 states? And don't tell me about your
Rand McNally 50 in 1 Road Atlas, LOL! It doesn't have even 10% of the roads
that are on City Select NA.

While there are a few people with legitimate uses for more than 256MB map
data, most people who whine about it never stray far enough from home to
need more.

SamSez

"Spanky" wrote in message

"SamSez" wrote in message

[...]

The big deal is that I don't know when I'll be handed a ticket and told to be in
a city nowhere near my 'base area'.

So I use a loaded 2610, but miss many of the customizations and larger track
memory available on other units.

Again, the cost of putting BOTH card sockets in a box that big would have harmed
nothing but Garmin's pocket [and not for the cost of the socket either], and
would have helped at least this potential user [and surely others].

All arguments [yours included] as to why it is simply fine with only a single
proprietary slot ignore the one and only reason why another socket was not
included -- so I don't want to hear any more.

Joe D.

The big deal is that I don't know when I'll be handed a ticket and told to
be in
a city nowhere near my 'base area'.

You'd only need to leave a little space on a 256MB card, then
load that city before departing. Yes that's another step, but
it's trivially easy.

BTW after flying to a distant city, how do you power the 2610
in a rental car? Cigarette lighter?

So I use a loaded 2610, but miss many of the customizations and larger
track
memory available on other units.

Another option might be the new Quest 2. It has the 10,000 point
user configurable track log, plus the entire US is preloaded -- no need
to download detailed maps from a CD as they're built in.

The Quest 2 is also physically smaller than the 2610, plus
battery powered, so it's easy to carry and use in a rental car.

SamSez

"Joe D." wrote in message
The big deal is that I don't know when I'll be handed a ticket and told to
be in
a city nowhere near my 'base area'.

You'd only need to leave a little space on a 256MB card, then
load that city before departing. Yes that's another step, but
it's trivially easy.

BTW after flying to a distant city, how do you power the 2610
in a rental car? Cigarette lighter?

Yes -- but with a laptop and the test equipment I drag around, it's just another
cable [with a baseball hanging on the end of it].

So I use a loaded 2610, but miss many of the customizations and larger
track
memory available on other units.

Another option might be the new Quest 2. It has the 10,000 point
user configurable track log, plus the entire US is preloaded -- no need
to download detailed maps from a CD as they're built in.

The Quest 2 is also physically smaller than the 2610, plus
battery powered, so it's easy to carry and use in a rental car.

As I understand, other than form-factor and self-contained power, I don't think
the quest would give me the other features/customizations that I find lacking in
the 2610 -- screen preferences, track-back, track memory control, etc.

Joe D.

"SamSez" wrote in message

"Joe D." wrote in message

Another option might be the new Quest 2. It has the 10,000 point
user configurable track log, plus the entire US is preloaded -- no need
to download detailed maps from a CD as they're built in.

The Quest 2 is also physically smaller than the 2610, plus
battery powered, so it's easy to carry and use in a rental car.

As I understand, other than form-factor and self-contained power, I don't
think
the quest would give me the other features/customizations that I find
lacking in
the 2610 -- screen preferences, track-back, track memory control, etc.

No, the Quest and new Quest 2 have all those features:

- user-customizable data fields
- 10,000 point configurable track log memory
- TracBack

And the Quest 2 comes with the entire US AND Canada preloaded in its 1.8GB
solid state internal memory, with about 140MB left over for
user maps (topo, etc).

It seems the Quest 2 has everything you want, if you don't
mind the smaller screen, and don't mind buttons vs
a touch screen.

The user manual is available on Garmin's web page:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Quest_OwnersManual.pdf

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/

SamSez

"Joe D." wrote in message

No, the Quest and new Quest 2 have all those features:

- user-customizable data fields
- 10,000 point configurable track log memory
- TracBack

And the Quest 2 comes with the entire US AND Canada preloaded in its 1.8GB
solid state internal memory, with about 140MB left over for
user maps (topo, etc).

It seems the Quest 2 has everything you want, if you don't
mind the smaller screen, and don't mind buttons vs
a touch screen.

The user manual is available on Garmin's web page:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Quest_OwnersManual.pdf

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/

Yes, looking at the manual, it does have more features than the 2610 rather than
just being a non-touch sized down version [still not quite as programmable about
what data fields are displayed where which is something I wanted ever since the
III+], but I'm not sure my eyes are up to the display... Sadly, I have been
going to larger displays over the years rather than smaller.