Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Since Ch 06 is a safety channel, you generally get chased off pretty
quickly if engaging in idle chitchat. We used to use Ch 6 while traveling
in a group and one of our group is retired CG.

The problem with Marine Channel 06, is that it is a "Ship to Ship Only"
Channel and the USCG Coast stations don't monitor it like they do
Marine Ch. 16 and Marine Ch 22A, so really no one is "Official"
is monitoring Ch. 06 anymore since the FCC closed all the Fixed Base
Monitoring Stations that had VHf Capability in the Field Offices.
the USCG keeps Ch. 16 cleaned up and the Big boys keep Ch. 13 fairly
clean, but Ch. 06 is kindof like "NoMans Land" these days.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
wrote:

True enough, and he could use the same antenna for marine channels,
albeit with another radio.
THis is the same reason I suggested Murs. Only problem is I'm not
hearing of that much equipment available for murs yet. I think
Popular COmmunications did a review of one unit for the Murs freqs a
couple months back but that's the first I"ve seen.
FOr the original poster, check with reputable two-way radio shops in
your area regarding business band equipment for vhf. IF all else
fails ask your plumber heating contractor or other businessmen you
deal with who use two-way radio equipment in their endeavors to steer
you to their provider of services. YOu might find some used
equipment at a reasonable price.
IF you buy new often an application is included for the license.
FOr Murs equipment I think good ol' radio slack is selling murs
equipment these days, those are the "color dot" channels in the vhf
range around 154-155 mhz. NO license required and with a decent
antenna at the cabin you could conceivably achieve ten mile range.

All the Land Mobile OEM's make a MURS version of their low cost
handhelds. They sell them to Constuction Outfits that need
Nationwide Coverage, and Licensing for fairly short distance
communications. All the MURS Frequencies came from the Intinerant
VHF Frequencies out of the bBsiness Radio Service block of allocations.
These are the old "Color Dot Frequencies". Same stuff, new Name.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Del Cecchi" wrote:

Well Bruce, did you ever drive faster than 55 between 1980 and a few years
ago? :-) Anyway, I was just summarizing options. So where does one buy
those business radios, and what does the license cost?

del

Nope, I live far out in the alaskan bush, and I don't drive on Federal
Roads. There aren't any around here, In fact, the nearest road, that
connects to anywhere, is 350 miles north.

Any Radio Shop in the phonebook can sell you the radios, and they also
can help you with the licensing paperwork. The license is a bit over
$100US as I recall, but that is good for 5 or 10 years.

I still do FCC License Consulting, but I am not cheap. ( $160US/hr )
Mostly Marine Coast Stations and Specialty Exemption Requests, and I
still have a bunch of good contacts in Gettysburg, PA. Just finished
a bunch of RadioLocation Experimental STA's for some small protable
Radar Speed Sensers last month. They are used in RollerCoaster
Testing all around the US, and exceed Part 15 Power Levels, hence
the requirement for the STA's, (Special Temperary Authority) untill
Licensing can figure out what FCC Form the Permenant Station License
needs to be applied for, on, and exactly what Service they are going to
License these devices under. Navigating the FCC Licensing Forms
is a major pain in the ass, but if you know exactly what "Buzz Words",
to stick in which boxes, you can usually get an application "Granted"
first time thru. If not, you lose your Application Fee, and have to
start over. That is what makes Licensing Consulting, such a profitable
sideline.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
BruceM

I guess everyone here thinks this is an American group?
Just get two marine radios. Set one up as base at home & the other in the
boat.
Range on mine is easily 15 miles & more like 20.
Totally legal & no license required.
OK, so I'm in Australia but I didn't read where it said "USA".
Yep, they're marine CB radios.

GME 10 Channel AM 27Mhz Transceiver - GX294
Cat. 631AX BIAS Price $154.90

Found here..........

http://www.biasboating.com.au/radios_two_way.html

"Jim Donohue" wrote in message
It is a piece of cake for 2 meter amateur. I suspect that I could coach a
10 year old in to passing the test in 3 or 4 hours. Adults should take
half that long.

You could also declare yourself to be a marina and hang a little sign on
your cabin that says so. That can lead to legal marine VHF.

Finally you can declare your cabin to be the vessel SS Cabin and install a
VHF. If questioned always claim you are communicating from the skiff
moored at the dock. Put a handheld in a skiff if you really want to be
careful. The probability of being nailed in a rural lake setting is so
just below that of the almighty reaching from the sky with a lightning
bolt and smiting you.

For the record it is illegal ...but then so are a number of the other
rewarding things in life.

Jim Donohue

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on shore over
distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to some medical issues I
have.

I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug into 110
for cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand helds if that would
have the range. Does anyone have experience with the range of VHF
Handhelds?

Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a boat unit,
a battery and a charger?

Unfortunately there is no cellphone coverage in the area. At least not
with our carrier.

del cecchi

Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

And the fact that there is a big fine if you get caught isn;t a factor?

Hee hee....I knew someone who ran a pest control business in Greenville,
SC, up in the SC mountains on marine channel 10 for many years. He had a
70' tower at his office quite high in altitude running 25W to the 25W
mobiles. I guess FCC doesn't listen to marine radio much in the
mountains....(c;

Larry W4CSC

"Del Cecchi" wrote in
:

So to summarize, with the possible exception of CB there is no legal
way for me to keep in contact while out fishing that is affordable and
likely to work. However, since I am pretty well off in the boonies
with no Coast Guard and few federal officials I could likely get away
with VHF, since it would really be difficult to distinguish my "base
station" from another boat, and boat to boat communication is
perfectly all right. Besides by the time they tracked me down summer
would be over.
:-)

del

Del, the solution is very simple. Go to:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl
and click on the Technician License test.

Sit with the wife and study the simple questions. We GIVE THEM AWAY! You
don't have to learn anything but these actual test questions, multiple
guess. Ham radio isn't about electronics any more. It's just a tested CB.

Keep taking the tests until you've memorized most of the answers, then drop
by your local radio shack to find out when the local ham club is giving the
FCC test for Technician. This gets you a license for any ham band above 50
Mhz, especially the 2 meter 144-148 Mhz ham band. I'd bet you're boat is
in range of at least 10 repeaters, some 2000' in the air! Join the local
ham radio club to help support the repeaters' costs and improvements. We
don't bite, no matter what you hear on CB, and you don't have to talk like
a hick with a clothespin on your nose on the radio. A 50W 2 meter FM ham
rig is about $150 and another $30 for a good VHF antenna. (No, you can't
use your VHF marine antenna for 2 meters, so put that out of your mind.
They are too far apart in frequency.)

Getting a Technician ham license is so easy most ham's wives, who could
care less about electronics/radio easily get them just to call the husband
for food orders on the way home. You can also upgrade to General when
you're ready to join the HF marine ham radio nets. The 5wpm Morse Code
tests will shortly be abolished for good. The old farts at the American
Radio Relay League, who have used code to keep very nice folks off ham
radio for decades are all dying off of old age.

Get a ham license! The walkie talkie on my desk can talk 70 miles up the
road through the 147.300 repeater on the WCSC-TV tower N of Charleston.
It's 1,850' straight up!

Larry W4CSC

"Jim Donohue" wrote in

It is a piece of cake for 2 meter amateur. I suspect that I could
coach a 10 year old in to passing the test in 3 or 4 hours. Adults
should take half that long.

I used to teach ham radio classes, here in SC. My record is a 7-year-old
Novice who failed his first code test, not because he couldn't copy 5wpm,
but because he ran out of paper during the test because his letters were
too large!...(c; He got his General Class when he was 9, breezing through
the 13 wpm code test, his Advanced at 10 (which cost me a $20 bet) and his
Extra Class at 12, winning the $20 bet because he had his Extra Class
before he became a teenager.

He's an electrical engineer, now. I helped ruin his whole life....(c;

Damned smartassed kids....Best $40 I ever lost.

Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 19:44:14 GMT

On 2005-05-06
said:
Actually you could very easily just get yourself a Business Radio
Service License, and use Land Mobile VHF Radios and be perfectly
LEGAL, in all respects. I am suprised no one else came up with that
option. It is what Business Radio Service is all about. You will
not get your own Private Frequency, but a shared frequency with PL
would do you just spiffy.

[...]

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

if its supposed to move but doesn't, use wd40
if it moves but shouldn't use duct tape

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 April 30th 05 05:25 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM