BruceM

I guess everyone here thinks this is an American group?
Just get two marine radios. Set one up as base at home & the other in the
boat.
Range on mine is easily 15 miles & more like 20.
Totally legal & no license required.
OK, so I'm in Australia but I didn't read where it said "USA".
Yep, they're marine CB radios.

GME 10 Channel AM 27Mhz Transceiver - GX294
Cat. 631AX BIAS Price $154.90

Found here..........

http://www.biasboating.com.au/radios_two_way.html

"Jim Donohue" wrote in message
It is a piece of cake for 2 meter amateur. I suspect that I could coach a
10 year old in to passing the test in 3 or 4 hours. Adults should take
half that long.

You could also declare yourself to be a marina and hang a little sign on
your cabin that says so. That can lead to legal marine VHF.

Finally you can declare your cabin to be the vessel SS Cabin and install a
VHF. If questioned always claim you are communicating from the skiff
moored at the dock. Put a handheld in a skiff if you really want to be
careful. The probability of being nailed in a rural lake setting is so
just below that of the almighty reaching from the sky with a lightning
bolt and smiting you.

For the record it is illegal ...but then so are a number of the other
rewarding things in life.

Jim Donohue

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on shore over
distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to some medical issues I
have.

I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug into 110
for cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand helds if that would
have the range. Does anyone have experience with the range of VHF
Handhelds?

Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a boat unit,
a battery and a charger?

Unfortunately there is no cellphone coverage in the area. At least not
with our carrier.

del cecchi