Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

Doug Dotson wrote:
wrote in message

On 2005-05-04 said:
There is a news group of sometime questionable protocols
that might be willing to help you determine whether CB radio
would work for you. It is rec.radio.cb. Give it a try.
Good luck

Nah I wouldn't suggest using cb for anything, maybe cb'ers for target
practice. HEre's why. THe original poster says:
Del Cecchi wrote:
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on
shore over distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to
some medical issues I have.
I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug
into 110 for cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand
helds if that would have the range. Does anyone have experience
with the range of VHF Handhelds?
Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a
boat unit, a battery and a charger?
NO cell phone coverage in the area, get a regular marine unit for the
cabin, forget the charger unless you want battery backup. Even then
get a 12 volt dc power supply to power the radio and/or float charge
your battery so that you have the radio powered even if the cabin
loses electrical power from mains service. YOu can install a decent
antenna on the roof of the cabin or somewhere else and have 10 miles
or so easy.

And the fact that there is a big fine if you get caught isn;t a
factor?

CB it's all according. Sometimes 10 miles can be a push if you've
got the skip rolling good and some loudmouth redneck yelling "how
'bout it skipland!!!" when you're trying to talk between you.

Skip isn;t a possability at 10 miles. Groundwave only.

AT ten miles
without a good gain antenna at both ends chances are good you're
going to be fighting to be heard over the trash.

True, so install a good antenna.

gO marine vhf or gmrs.

GMRS is legal, marine isn't.

YEs both require some licensing, but it's well
worth it in the long run.

License or not, marine is illegal for the proposed situation.

Ham has the same thing with rigs, not many
vhf/uhf rigs made to run off a/c mains power, so in those cases a
decent power supply to power a mobile and a decent base station
antenna will be better investments than a cb radio for reliability.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

Seems like there's a hole in the market here boys! Who's gonna be the first
to plug it?

Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

There isn't a hole in the market, there is a Giant Regulatory Roadblock
for noncommercial Maritime Shore Stations. They are not LEGAL by ITU
Regulation, not just in the USofA.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Jim Donohue

It is a piece of cake for 2 meter amateur. I suspect that I could coach a
10 year old in to passing the test in 3 or 4 hours. Adults should take half
that long.

You could also declare yourself to be a marina and hang a little sign on
your cabin that says so. That can lead to legal marine VHF.

Finally you can declare your cabin to be the vessel SS Cabin and install a
VHF. If questioned always claim you are communicating from the skiff moored
at the dock. Put a handheld in a skiff if you really want to be careful.
The probability of being nailed in a rural lake setting is so just below
that of the almighty reaching from the sky with a lightning bolt and smiting
you.

For the record it is illegal ...but then so are a number of the other
rewarding things in life.

Jim Donohue

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on shore over
distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to some medical issues I
have.

I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug into 110
for cabin use. I could just go with a couple of hand helds if that would
have the range. Does anyone have experience with the range of VHF
Handhelds?

Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin? Or do I just get a boat unit, a
battery and a charger?

Unfortunately there is no cellphone coverage in the area. At least not
with our carrier.

del cecchi

Dennis Pogson

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

Del Cecchi wrote:
[...]

Well you can't blame the world's many governments for wanting to keep control of the airwaves. You would have a million DJ's pumping out their drivel, ad infinitum.

The guy mentions medical issues, maybe there are mitigating circumstances, such as the authorities not wishing to pay his funeral expenses, plus compensation to his spouse?

A homing pidgeon is surely within the law, even in the USofA?

I have several for sale, male and female, from $10K each.

Dennis.

--
Remove 'nospam' to reply.
Del Cecchi

So to summarize, with the possible exception of CB there is no legal way for
me to keep in contact while out fishing that is affordable and likely to
work. However, since I am pretty well off in the boonies with no Coast
Guard and few federal officials I could likely get away with VHF, since it
would really be difficult to distinguish my "base station" from another
boat, and boat to boat communication is perfectly all right. Besides by
the time they tracked me down summer would be over.
:-)

del

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Del Cecchi" wrote:

So to summarize, with the possible exception of CB there is no legal way for
me to keep in contact while out fishing that is affordable and likely to
work. However, since I am pretty well off in the boonies with no Coast
Guard and few federal officials I could likely get away with VHF, since it
would really be difficult to distinguish my "base station" from another
boat, and boat to boat communication is perfectly all right. Besides by
the time they tracked me down summer would be over.
:-)

del

Well Yes, all that you state is true, but a Person with an Ounce of
PERSONAL INTEGRITY, wouldn't violate the Law just for convience.
Actually you could very easily just get yourself a Business Radio
Service License, and use Land Mobile VHF Radios and be perfectly
LEGAL, in all respects. I am suprised no one else came up with that
option. It is what Business Radio Service is all about. You will not
get your own Private Frequency, but a shared frequency with PL would do
you just spiffy.....

Bruce in alaska once an FCC Field Agent.........
--
add a 2 before @

Del Cecchi

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Del Cecchi" wrote:

[...]

Well Bruce, did you ever drive faster than 55 between 1980 and a few years
ago? :-) Anyway, I was just summarizing options. So where does one buy
those business radios, and what does the license cost?

del

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 5 May 2005 10:01:06 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote

Yes, or just a 12-Volt DC supply. Look at the radios in marina dock
offices. They are standard fixed mount marine radios.

Marinas, radio repair shops and other businesses engaged in servicing boats
on the water can apply for a land based marine VHF station license but
individuals can't. It is illegal for a private individual to transmit on
marine VHF frequencies while ashore, period. The penalties are pretty
serious and as with the self appointed newsgroup police we have recently
been infected with here, there are plenty of self appointed airways police
out there just itching to turn you in.

I was not engaged in legal advice, just practical.

But I wonder just how many people are sitting listening to all
channels in Northern Minnesota, just hoping to hear a violation? And,
on hearing some heinous act, such as speaking French, calling the
nearest USCG station hoping they will send a helicopter to chase down
the culprit?

I have overheard some hilarious conversations on Channel 06 within
range of Station Jonesport. Often it sounded as if a fisherman's wife
was calling him from home about some household matter. If they had
used 16 the CG would have told them to take it to a working frequency,
but on 06 they wouldn't hear it ordinarily, nor care if they did.

But of course, I had no way of knowing where the actual transmission
took place.

I have also heard fishermen in New Hampshire waters conversing in
French on a [shudder] international channel. The unspeakable crimes
that go unpunished every day!!

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"
Doug Dotson

Since Ch 06 is a safety channel, you generally get chased off pretty
quickly if engaging in idle chitchat. We used to use Ch 6 while traveling
in a group and one of our group is retired CG.

[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:34:12 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Since Ch 06 is a safety channel, you generally get chased off pretty
quickly if engaging in idle chitchat. We used to use Ch 6 while traveling
in a group and one of our group is retired CG.

In eastern Maine, it is a chit-chat channel for the commercial
fishermen, full time.
Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"
Doug Dotson

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:34:12 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Since Ch 06 is a safety channel, you generally get chased off pretty
quickly if engaging in idle chitchat. We used to use Ch 6 while traveling
in a group and one of our group is retired CG.

In eastern Maine, it is a chit-chat channel for the commercial
fishermen, full time.

I suppose that such chit-chat can be considered safety related. Not so
around
here.

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 April 30th 05 05:25 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM