Doug Dotson

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
I am looking for a way to communicate from boat to my spouse on shore over
distances of less than 10 miles. This is due to some medical issues I
have.

I have looked at VHF radios, but there seem to be few that plug into 110
for cabin use.

Not legal either.

I could just go with a couple of hand helds if that would have the range.

Not legal either.

Does anyone have experience with the range of VHF Handhelds?

Two or three miles over open water.
..
Any suggestions for a unit for the Cabin?

Even FRS is only good for 5 miles max. If you are up to taking a pretty
simple test then a Tech class ham license will allow you to use radios that
will work. Handhelds if you have a repeater nearby. Good ole CBs may be
a solution. Cheap and can generally do 10 miles.

Doug, k3qt

Or do I just get a boat unit, a
battery and a charger?

Unfortunately there is no cellphone coverage in the area. At least not
with our carrier.

del cecchi