Dman

Default HELP, Boat CB Radio Question!

Can someone please help me, I have a 22 foot boat and I bought a Cobra CB
Radio for it, but it only has 2 weather channels and then channels up to 40,
but my local marina is on channel 68, so does this mean my radio is no good
for a boat? sorry this could be a totally dumb question, but to me I believe
I need to reinvest in another radio that has more channels obviously, and
opions on what to buy for a nice new radio if that is the case?

Thanks very much in advance for your time!
Derek

BOEING377

Can someone please help me, I have a 22 foot boat and I bought a Cobra CB
Radio for it, but it only has 2 weather channels and then channels up to 40,
but my local marina is on channel 68, so does this mean my radio is no good
for a boat? sorry this could be a totally dumb question, but to me I believe
I need to reinvest in another radio that has more channels obviously, and
opions on what to buy for a nice new radio if that is the case?

Thanks very much in advance for your time!
Derek

Keep your CB and also buy a VHF marine radio which will work on your marina's
channel and many others as well. Get one that has DSC features if you want the
latest technology. If you don't need DSC (digital selective calling) then you
can find good VHF radios for $100-$150. DSC VHF radios start at about $120 for
a bare bones but perfectly useable JRC brand radio to $500 and higher for
commercial garde sets.
Peter Bennett

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:43:53 -0400, "Dman"
wrote:

Can someone please help me, I have a 22 foot boat and I bought a Cobra CB
Radio for it, but it only has 2 weather channels and then channels up to 40,
but my local marina is on channel 68, so does this mean my radio is no good
for a boat? sorry this could be a totally dumb question, but to me I believe
I need to reinvest in another radio that has more channels obviously, and
opions on what to buy for a nice new radio if that is the case?

Thanks very much in advance for your time!
Derek

To talk to the marina, and to the Coast Guard and most other boaters,
you need a marine VHF radio - a completely different animal than a CB
radio.

I suggest you go to your favourite marine supply store and see what
radios they sell - or ask them to recommend a marine electronic dealer
that handles VHF radios.

My preferred make is Icom, but Standard and Uniden are other
well-known makes.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
BruceM

If you're in Australia mate, disregard the experts & just get a cheap CB
radio like you have. Only difference is that the one you bought is used on
land & mostly by truckies etc. You need the marine band version of the 27
meg radio to talk to that channel 68. It is possible to get the crystals put
in (changed) to be able to use the one you have but for about $40 you get a
newbie!!
CB stands for "Citizens Band"............. now choose "marine" or otherwise.
BruceM

news.com...
wrote:

[...]

Doug Dotson

You can't make a CB work on the marine bands by changing
xtals.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

wrote:

[...]

Chuck Tribolet

You can in Australia. They use the band we use for CB (with some
additional channels) for marine use.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

wrote:

[...]

Chuck Tribolet

And know how to use it. Last Saturday, as I was prepping my whaler in
the parking lot at the Monterey Breakwater, there was some fellow on
VHF Ch 16 say "Is anybody out there?" over and over again. I kinda tuned
him out. We launched, and about ten minutes later passed a boat.
Three or four minutes later, this guy makes contact with the CG finally,
and it turns out it was the boat we had passed. We turned around and went
back, and arrived a couple of minutes ahead of the CG. Turns out he
only had a duff starter, but his inability to communicate cost at least 8 minutes,
maybe 15, in how long it took me to respond. If it had been SERIOUS, I
would have had Adm. Linda park the truck and taken off from the dock
right away. And if it had been SERIOUS, 15 minutes is a LOOONG time.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

wrote in message ...
but your chances
are much better at getting competent help using the right radio
service.

Me

In article ,
"BruceM" wrote:

If you're in Australia mate, disregard the experts & just get a cheap CB
radio like you have. Only difference is that the one you bought is used on
land & mostly by truckies etc. You need the marine band version of the 27
meg radio to talk to that channel 68. It is possible to get the crystals put
in (changed) to be able to use the one you have but for about $40 you get a
newbie!!
CB stands for "Citizens Band"............. now choose "marine" or otherwise.
BruceM

The above "Dufus" should learn a bit more about the subject before he
proves his lack of knowledge. CB radio's are different animals than
Marine Radios, and the two are "Mutially Exclusive". Some CB Radios
do have weather receivers in them, but they can NOT transmit on any
Marine channel no matter who puts the crystals in them.

me
BruceM

Keep your opinions to yourself MR Flamer...........
The topic of this thread specifically said "Cobra CB Radio"......... !!!
Please don't come down to Australia & go out in a boat until you learn OUR
radio setup.
There are other places in the world besides USA !!
The poster didn't say where he came from.........
BruceM

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"BruceM" wrote:

[...]

Bobsprit

And know how to use it. Last Saturday, as I was prepping my whaler in
the parking lot at the Monterey Breakwater, there was some fellow on
VHF Ch 16 say "Is anybody out there?" over and over again.

It should have occured to you that someone might be in trouble. For instance, a
guest on a boat might not know the procedure for calling for help. A person in
shock or suffering some other medical problem might also not follow proper
procedure.
Best to respond to anything on 16 beyond radio checks.

RB
Alien C&C32
City Island, NY