Meindert Sprang

Default HELP, Boat CB Radio Question!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
And know how to use it. Last Saturday, as I was prepping my whaler in
the parking lot at the Monterey Breakwater, there was some fellow on
VHF Ch 16 say "Is anybody out there?" over and over again.

It should have occured to you that someone might be in trouble. For

instance, a
guest on a boat might not know the procedure for calling for help. A

person in
shock or suffering some other medical problem might also not follow proper
procedure.

Ok, but wouldn't be a simple "help" draw more attention than just "Is
anybody out there". That guy might just be quoting a well know Pink Floyd
lyric....

Meindert

Bobsprit

Ok, but wouldn't be a simple "help" draw more attention than just "Is
anybody out there". That guy might just be quoting a well know Pink Floyd
lyric....

He might...and he might not. Better safe than sorry. I'd check out any
unasnwered channel 16 call if possible.

RB
Peter Bennett

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:16:29 +0930, "BruceM"
wrote:

If you're in Australia mate, disregard the experts & just get a cheap CB
radio like you have. Only difference is that the one you bought is used on
land & mostly by truckies etc. You need the marine band version of the 27
meg radio to talk to that channel 68. It is possible to get the crystals put
in (changed) to be able to use the one you have but for about $40 you get a
newbie!!
CB stands for "Citizens Band"............. now choose "marine" or otherwise.
BruceM

After a little research, I find that Australia does have a 27 MHz
marine radio service - however, I expect that service is unique to
Australia - it certainly doesn't exist in North America.

Judging from his address, the original poster is in Canada, so will
need a radio capable of operating on the international marine VHF
band. In Canada, VHF channel 68 is an intership/ship-shore channel
that may be used (in some areas) by marinas. (This is _definitely_ not
the same as the Australian 27 MHz channel 68!)

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
BruceM

Thanks for that Peter......... I'm just wondering if the original poster
bought the radio from Australia on Ebay or something then, because he did
say it was a Cobra CB radio & they were a very popular CB radio sold by the
thousands in Australia several years ago.
BruceM

wrote:

[...]

Peter Bennett

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:24:04 +0930, "BruceM"
wrote:

Thanks for that Peter......... I'm just wondering if the original poster
bought the radio from Australia on Ebay or something then, because he did
say it was a Cobra CB radio & they were a very popular CB radio sold by the
thousands in Australia several years ago.
BruceM

[please post _below_ the post you are quoting - it makes it easier to
follow the conversation]

Cobra is, I believe, a very common name in CB radios in the US and
Canada. (I don't do CB, but I've heard the name...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:57:02 GMT

On 2004-06-28
said:
Can someone please help me, I have a 22 foot boat and I bought a
Cobra CB Radio for it, but it only has 2 weather channels and then
channels up to 40, but my local marina is on channel 68, so does
this mean my radio is no good for a boat? sorry this could be a
totally dumb question, but to me I believe I need to reinvest in
another radio that has more channels obviously, and opions on what
to buy for a nice new radio if that is the case? Thanks very much
in advance for your time! Derek

I see you're posting from Canada, so check out what licensing
requirements you may need to fulfill. tHen run don't walk to your
nearest marine equipment dealer and get a vhf transceiver for your
boat before you leave the dock next time with an appropriate antenna
for it. INstall these and test them before you cruise again.

AS you said you'll find your local marina on channey 68. dOwn south
of your border I know vhf channel 16 is an emergency watch frequency.
IF you need assistance in an emergency you want to be able to
communicate directly with folks qualified to help you. Keep the cb as
a backup in case of need, but install the correct equipment and
acquire any licenses you need for it.

tHe life you save may be your own.
Iirc they published a later from me in the March issue of Popular
COmmunications regarding using cb for emergency assistance on the
water. YOu should at least have vhf marine equipment aboard your
boat, and if you're cruising offshore you might even want to consider
something for marine hf. CB would be a first line emergency aid
summoning tool if you were cruising on the highways, but your chances
are much better at getting competent help using the right radio
service.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

remember the seven p's of the studio: "Pre-
production planning prevents **** poor performance". ---Fletcher