Harlan Lachman

Default Garmin 182C to Mac OS X

Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

The folks at James Associates, makers of Map GPS Pro were unable to
recommend to me an afforable source of digital nautical charts
compatible with Macs and their software (Tiff, Jpeg, pdf).

I am hoping to take advantage of the bigger screen on my laptop and
ease of using a mouse to facilitate course plotting.
TIA,
harlan

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:

Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

The folks at James Associates, makers of Map GPS Pro were unable to
recommend to me an afforable source of digital nautical charts
compatible with Macs and their software (Tiff, Jpeg, pdf).

I am hoping to take advantage of the bigger screen on my laptop and
ease of using a mouse to facilitate course plotting.
TIA,
harlan

I am not familiar with the Garmin 182C, but I usea Garmin 3 & 3+
with GPSy, MacGPS, MaxSEA, StreetAtlas, Topo(VirtualPC), Topo/Mac
just to name a few, with no problems I have the GPS3+ set up as
a Network Device by connecting it to my Wallstreet's Serial Port,
and then using PortsharPro to publish it on the LAN/WAN for all
other CPU'S to use. I still am having a bit of trouble with the
Topo/Mac version networked GPS, as the programers are still using
the OLD Modem/Printer GUI's instead of the CommToolBox, or Open
Transport GUI's for the Serial I/O Drivers. VirtualPort does work
Well for the PC Crowd. I have used both the Keyspan USA-28X, and
the Belkin F5U103-MAC USB/Serial Adapters when in nonnetworked
operations. These all work well for me, on both OS9.2.2 and OSX.

I would look at what the differences are between the 182C and
the rest of the Garmin GPS line. Garmin/Garmin Mode Serial I/O
should do the trick for most of this.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Peter Bennett

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:55:31 -0500, Harlan Lachman
wrote:

Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

GPSy will not be able to transfer charts to/from any Garmin receiver -
only Garmin's own software (which, I think, only runs on PCs) will do
that.

However, GPSy, or any other chart display program that accepts
NMEA-0183 real-time position data from a GPS should work with the 182
for that function.

(There are so many different GPS models available, with more coming
out every week, it seems, that you can't expect any software vendor to
list all compatible models.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Dean Sensui

I'm using GPSPro to create routes and upload them into my Garmin GPS
Map 76. I found some useful map data for free he

http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/cm_vs_query.asp

These charts appear to be calibrated. However this data isn't useful
to GPSPro. It's not hard to calibrate them manually, but you need to
have precise lat/lon info for specific locations on the chart. I used
a calibrated USGS map to help with that.

Good luck!
Dean.

Harlan Lachman wrote in message .net...
Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

The folks at James Associates, makers of Map GPS Pro were unable to
recommend to me an afforable source of digital nautical charts
compatible with Macs and their software (Tiff, Jpeg, pdf).

I am hoping to take advantage of the bigger screen on my laptop and
ease of using a mouse to facilitate course plotting.
TIA,
harlan

Harlan Lachman

Dean thanks for trying to be helpful. Could you explain in a little
more detail what you mean. Sorry I am so ill informed.

What does it mean to need to calibrate a chart (why, how, what skills)?
Why would I want these charts if they are not useful to GPSPRo? Where
does onge get a calibrated USGS map that can work with GPSPro?

Will the provider of those charts have a person available by phone to
help guide one in using their charts for the first time?

TIA,

Harlan

In article , Dean
Sensui wrote:

[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:

Dean thanks for trying to be helpful. Could you explain in a little
more detail what you mean. Sorry I am so ill informed.

What does it mean to need to calibrate a chart (why, how, what skills)?
Why would I want these charts if they are not useful to GPSPRo? Where
does onge get a calibrated USGS map that can work with GPSPro?

Will the provider of those charts have a person available by phone to
help guide one in using their charts for the first time?

TIA,

Harlan

GPSy Pro has the capability of taking any image and calibrating that
image with LAT/Long reference points, so as to allow positions to
be displayed on the image. this is done in the software by marking
Known Position Points in the image, with their LAT/Long. When three
(3) KPP's are calibrate the software can then interpolate any position
input from the GPS to it's corresponnding position on the image.
I have calibrated tiff, pict, jpeg, ect, images on my system.
USGS Quads are availabe from Internet Sites in tiff format with
calibrations already included in the file. If you would like to see
one, email me, and I'll send you one that I use all the time, with
GPSy and MacGPS.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Dean Sensui

Hi Harlan...

As Bruce mentioned, you need to know the precise lat/lon for at least
three locations in the map. In my case, I had similar USGS maps that
were already calibrated. So it was just a matter of finding the same
locations in each map, then using the USGS map to determine what the
lat/lon positions were and giving GPSPro that same information for
each position.

The free marine charts won't have support available, unfortunately.
Check out the website and see if the charts you need are available. I
don't know if I can assist with calibration. I might be able to make
some suggestions to assist, however.

By the way, just one posting and I got a half dozen spam with this
email address. Fortunately this particular email address is
"disposable". Those anti-spam safeguards are definitely worthwhile.

Dean.

Bruce in Alaska wrote in message ...
In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:

Dean thanks for trying to be helpful. Could you explain in a little
more detail what you mean. Sorry I am so ill informed.

What does it mean to need to calibrate a chart (why, how, what skills)?
Why would I want these charts if they are not useful to GPSPRo? Where
does onge get a calibrated USGS map that can work with GPSPro?

Will the provider of those charts have a person available by phone to
help guide one in using their charts for the first time?

TIA,

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

In article , Dean Sensui
wrote:

Hi Harlan...

As Bruce mentioned, you need to know the precise lat/lon for at least
three locations in the map. In my case, I had similar USGS maps that
were already calibrated. So it was just a matter of finding the same
locations in each map, then using the USGS map to determine what the
lat/lon positions were and giving GPSPro that same information for
each position.

Dean, it would seem to me that I could use the Chart on my Garmin 182C
to figure out the lat/long of any mark on the digital chart.

The free marine charts won't have support available, unfortunately.
Check out the website and see if the charts you need are available.

Dean, sorry to be dense. For this summer, I am looking for digital
charts covering Nantucket and the South of the Cape to Long Island
Sound. Which website do I go to that has affordable charts for me to
download to my Mac in a form I can load into GSPy Pro?

don't know if I can assist with calibration. I might be able to make
some suggestions to assist, however.

By the way, just one posting and I got a half dozen spam with this
email address. Fortunately this particular email address is
"disposable". Those anti-spam safeguards are definitely worthwhile.

So far, the simple no spam I add in has protected me from Spam (knock
on my head). I hope it lasts.

Harlan

BTW, thanks to all who responded.

Harlan Lachman wrote:

Dean thanks for trying to be helpful. Could you explain in a little
more detail what you mean. Sorry I am so ill informed.

What does it mean to need to calibrate a chart (why, how, what skills)?
Why would I want these charts if they are not useful to GPSPRo? Where
does onge get a calibrated USGS map that can work with GPSPro?

Will the provider of those charts have a person available by phone to
help guide one in using their charts for the first time?

TIA,

Harlan

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!
Dean Sensui

Hi Harlan...

I should have taken a look at the specific model that you had
mentioned. If you're using a 182C then I'd strongly recommend getting
the Garmin MapSource charts that can be uploaded.

The Garmin software can be used with Mac OSX via Virtual PC. Here's a
website with specifics:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_vpc.html

I bought a copy of MapSource charts and was thinking of using VPC to
transfer the data, but a friend with a PC did it for me.

Dean.

Harlan Lachman wrote in message news:

Dean, it would seem to me that I could use the Chart on my Garmin 182C
to figure out the lat/long of any mark on the digital chart.

Dean, sorry to be dense. For this summer, I am looking for digital
charts covering Nantucket and the South of the Cape to Long Island
Sound. Which website do I go to that has affordable charts for me to
download to my Mac in a form I can load into GSPy Pro?

S Denham

Harlan Lachman wrote in message .net...
Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

The folks at James Associates, makers of Map GPS Pro were unable to
recommend to me an afforable source of digital nautical charts
compatible with Macs and their software (Tiff, Jpeg, pdf).

I am hoping to take advantage of the bigger screen on my laptop and
ease of using a mouse to facilitate course plotting.
TIA,
harlan

You could try 'Navigate' (www.wizworldservices.co.uk/navigate). It
runs on a Mac (as well as PC, Linux, Psion), uses NOAA coastlines, has
both Garmin & NMEA interface for waypoint/route transfer.

Regards,

Steve.