Bruce in Alaska

Default Garmin 182C to Mac OS X

In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:

Does anyone recommend a solution that allows reading digital charts on
my TiBook with Mac OS X 10.2.8, plotting courses, and then sending the
routes to my Garmin 182C?

I own the power/data cable and a keyspan 19QW USB to serial port
connector which looks to fit.

The GPSY Pro software does not list the 182C as a compatable unit.

The folks at James Associates, makers of Map GPS Pro were unable to
recommend to me an afforable source of digital nautical charts
compatible with Macs and their software (Tiff, Jpeg, pdf).

I am hoping to take advantage of the bigger screen on my laptop and
ease of using a mouse to facilitate course plotting.
TIA,
harlan

I am not familiar with the Garmin 182C, but I usea Garmin 3 & 3+
with GPSy, MacGPS, MaxSEA, StreetAtlas, Topo(VirtualPC), Topo/Mac
just to name a few, with no problems I have the GPS3+ set up as
a Network Device by connecting it to my Wallstreet's Serial Port,
and then using PortsharPro to publish it on the LAN/WAN for all
other CPU'S to use. I still am having a bit of trouble with the
Topo/Mac version networked GPS, as the programers are still using
the OLD Modem/Printer GUI's instead of the CommToolBox, or Open
Transport GUI's for the Serial I/O Drivers. VirtualPort does work
Well for the PC Crowd. I have used both the Keyspan USA-28X, and
the Belkin F5U103-MAC USB/Serial Adapters when in nonnetworked
operations. These all work well for me, on both OS9.2.2 and OSX.

I would look at what the differences are between the 182C and
the rest of the Garmin GPS line. Garmin/Garmin Mode Serial I/O
should do the trick for most of this.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @