Default Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad?

There are three giant players, and a few minors in the battery
building business. The cases are made by yet again a few major
plastic molders. Each one of these can and do deliver to a big box
store whatever that store wants, and stick on their paper label. The
exceptions are a few battery boutiques that don't build blank case
batteries, hence Surrette and Rolls. You get what you pay for, less
the markup. There are two ways to measure a battery's value: by
weight and by warranty. Go figure.

On 2008-11-11 11:31:19 -0500, Gogarty said:

I have also decided that premium batteries (Rolls, et al) are just not worth
the money. Mine (a pair of 4Ds and a Group 30) lasted exactly four years --
the warranty period. Considering their cost compared to, say, Exides of the
same size but one third or less the price, I can afford to run the commercial
units and replace them after four years.

Having gotten 5 years from the cheapies, I suggest you might review
your battery regimen.

I have yet to destroy a battery in =4 years. Am currently figuring out
how long a better (not premium) battery will last. At 3 years, it's
going real strong, but I also added solar a bit earlier so will have to
compare it to the Walmart cheapie it's along-side of.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-11-11 11:31:19 -0500, Gogarty said:

I have also decided that premium batteries (Rolls, et al) are just not worth
the money. Mine (a pair of 4Ds and a Group 30) lasted exactly four years --
the warranty period. Considering their cost compared to, say, Exides of the
same size but one third or less the price, I can afford to run the commercial
units and replace them after four years.

Having gotten 5 years from the cheapies, I suggest you might review
your battery regimen.

I have yet to destroy a battery in =4 years. Am currently figuring out
how long a better (not premium) battery will last. At 3 years, it's
going real strong, but I also added solar a bit earlier so will have to
compare it to the Walmart cheapie it's along-side of.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI trips & tips:http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

The remarks about weight are interesting because although I am a lot
older than years ago, the batteries sure seem lighter and dont last as
long.
I have read that power tools sold by Wal Mart are of lower quality but
cannot verify that. After building several boats, I have just about
decided that power tools are expendable items.
Right now, my major gripe is with VHF radios that break very quickly.
For that matter, all my electronic things do that, even my Garmin GPS.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:51:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

After building several boats, I have just about
decided that power tools are expendable items.

You need to buy better tools. They cost more but last a lot longer
and do a better job.

wrote:

After building several boats, I have just about
decided that power tools are expendable items.

Agreed; however, Milwaukee or equal, makes the journey more pleasant.

Harbor Freight is a waste of time, except for disposables.

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:TlsSk.874$mi4.247
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

wrote:

After building several boats, I have just about
decided that power tools are expendable items.

Agreed; however, Milwaukee or equal, makes the journey more pleasant.

Harbor Freight is a waste of time, except for disposables.

Lew

Speaking of Harbor Freight, they now have a full line of battery analyzers
so you can test those millionaire red battery banks to find that dead cell.
The original tester loaded at only 50A. They've added another one at 100A,
but I bought the full load this time because it's so cheap. It's a
variable load from 0-500A. It will take the load plenty long enough to
find the dead battery if you unparallel them by removing a cable. Works
great and only $50!

The variable load allows you to really test that alternator they told you
would put out 190A (for a few minutes before it starts smoking). Crank the
engine with no load and let it charge up the starting battery in a few
minutes. Then, you can load 'er down and easily find that slipping belt or
poor electrical connection that will start smoking under the load. No
wonder the damned house batteries take forever to charge, the belt is
slipping above 30A! You'll see the voltage suddenly drop when that happens
and the ammeter on the unit will tell you the load when it happens.

Sure beats dragging good alternators back and forth to the shop to be told
nothing is wrong with any of them......