BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/99927-sams-club-6-volt-batteries-good-bad.html)

[email protected] November 10th 08 10:56 PM

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad?

They look similar to Trojan T-105's - are they better, worse, same as?
They are about $65 or so. 210 AH.
-----------------
-----------------

[email protected] November 11th 08 12:47 AM

On Nov 10, 5:56 pm, wrote:
They look similar to Trojan T-105's - are they better, worse, same as?
They are about $65 or so. 210 AH.
-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*
-----------------

I've had bad luck with Wal Mart Batteries, Chinese crap.

Larry November 11th 08 01:41 AM

wrote in :

They look similar to Trojan T-105's - are they better, worse, same as?
They are about $65 or so. 210 AH.
-----------------
-----------------

Oh, how awful! No, no, NO! That will never do!

You must always buy the most expensive battery you can find from the most
exclusive boat chandler within 100 nautical miles for your boat.

Noone in their right mind would ever buy anything for their yacht except:
http://www.rollsbattery.com/
or
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/
or
http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php

Everybody knows only batteries costing thousands should be professionally
installed by only the finest battery experts in your Bayliner.

SARCASM OFF.

210AH isn't much power because you should only discharge them down 105AH
before recharging. But, if that's enough power, or you have room for many
banks of these, they're fine.......

.....but, for God's sake, NEVER let anyone at the marina know you bought
them at WalMart!

[email protected] November 11th 08 04:28 AM

On Nov 10, 8:41 pm, Larry wrote:
wrote :

[...]

I finally decided I cannot afford the cheap stuff from Wal Mart or
Harbor Freight. Most of it is all Chinese made and is so bad that you
spend so much time returning it you lose money compared to something
slightly more expensive and US made. Sure, they exchange their
batteries when they go bad but how often do you want to lug a battery
from your car into Wal Mart and go through the exchange process, 3
times in a year seemed excessive to me.
This weekend, I was using a Harbor Freight pair of slip joint pliers
and they simply broke, now I gotta go to Sears and buy the good ones
that dont break like I shoulda in the first place. Every so often you
might get something from Harbor Freight in the way of expendable
tools, like some TiN coated drills for next to nothing. Hell, I
expect to break and lose them so they are ok However, most of their
stuff is pure junk.
I warn you, do not buy outlet strips made in China. One ended up
costing me $60,000 when a cold solder joint caused the whole thing to
get too hot and started a fire. I was almost sick when I saw what the
fire investigator showed me on the Chinese outlet strip.
I run an X-ray spectroscopy company. One of my employees had a son
with one of those Thomas Train toys from China, we checked the paint,
it was pure lead oxide, you coulda used it for radiation shielding.

Larry November 11th 08 05:24 AM

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad?

wrote in news:5b5053a2-afd4-4f53-99b1-6018d23ee065
@e38g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

I finally decided I cannot afford the cheap stuff from Wal Mart or
Harbor Freight.

Er, ah, Johnson Controls makes batteries for Walmart's Everstart brand.

Yuasa makes the small lead acid batteries, on of the best battery companies
on the planet.

Big batteries are too heavy to ship from Asia, so they contract Johnson
Controls to make them. Johnson Controls is the biggest lead-acid battery
manufacturer left in the USA.

Jere Lull November 11th 08 07:07 AM

On 2008-11-10 23:28:49 -0500, said:

This weekend, I was using a Harbor Freight pair of slip joint pliers
and they simply broke, now I gotta go to Sears and buy the good ones
that dont break like I shoulda in the first place.

That's the truth.

I've had okay success with the cheap batteries, but our needs are very
low and solar keeps them up nicely during the season. (not so good
these days on the Chesapeake.)

[DAMN, it went from pretty nice Saturday but little wind to near-winter
nearly overnight! Finally gave up waiting for comfortable sailing
weather and came home. The 50 degree highs wouldn't be too bad, but
15-25 reported by our notoriously-stingy reporting station would seem
like work. Tonight's forecast was for frost a bit west of us. No fun.]

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages:

[email protected] November 11th 08 12:47 PM

:

I finally decided I cannot afford the cheap stuff from Wal Mart or
Harbor Freight.

Er, ah, Johnson Controls makes batteries for Walmart's Everstart brand.

Yuasa makes the small lead acid batteries, on of the best battery companies
on the planet.

Big batteries are too heavy to ship from Asia, so they contract Johnson
Controls to make them. Johnson Controls is the biggest lead-acid battery
manufacturer left in the USA.

Like all manufacturers, Johnson can make batteries to attain any price
point specified. Walmart tells them what they want to pay for a
battery, and Johnson supplies it. The best way to compare the quality
of flooded lead acid deep cycle batteries is to weigh them. There are
other minor things that do make a difference, but weight is by far the
most important factor.

Weigh a Lifeline group 27, a Rolls goup 27, and a Walmart group 27
and see if there is a difference.

There is a reason that Walmart batteries lose capacity so quickly.

Richard Casady November 11th 08 12:54 PM

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:24:29 +0000, Larry wrote:

Big batteries are too heavy to ship from Asia, so they contract Johnson
Controls to make them. Johnson Controls is the biggest lead-acid battery
manufacturer left in the USA.

Heavy compared to a 40 000 container?

Casady

Wayne.B November 11th 08 03:22 PM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:56:09 -0700, wrote:

They look similar to Trojan T-105's - are they better, worse, same as?
They are about $65 or so. 210 AH.

I've used them both.

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries are a good value but the Trojan T-105s are
a better battery: 225 A-H vs 210 for Sam's, and the T-105s seem to
last a bit longer. Are the T-105s worth almost twice as much?
Probably not in my opinion but it depends on your priorities.

[email protected] November 11th 08 05:11 PM

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries - good or bad?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:22:31 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:56:09 -0700, wrote:

They look similar to Trojan T-105's - are they better, worse, same as?
They are about $65 or so. 210 AH.

I've used them both.

Sam's Club 6 volt batteries are a good value but the Trojan T-105s are
a better battery: 225 A-H vs 210 for Sam's, and the T-105s seem to
last a bit longer. Are the T-105s worth almost twice as much?
Probably not in my opinion but it depends on your priorities.

I'm replacing the 6 T-105's that just quit. Cruised on them in Mexico
for 4 years so I know their suitable for full-time cruising. The Sam's
batteries look like they're made by Trojan as they have the same lift
"hooks" molded into the top of the case. I haven't had a chance to
weigh a Sam's battery.